Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by constantino_chr
Hey, I ended up doing History last week!

I absolutely adored Durham and would love to firm it (for Politics).

Oh I see! I'm week 3 and quite excited to go! What were the academic sessions like?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Nic97
Oh I see! I'm week 3 and quite excited to go! What were the academic sessions like?

I really enjoyed them despite absolutely hating social history! The lecturers were really engaging and conversational.
So having done the summer school I would very much like to accept their guaranteed offer, hopefully to do Politics.
I got AABB ! 96% in English language somehow and I thought that's the one I would be dropping 😂 had to drop history instead, unfortunately and disappointed with my b in English literature considering I'm applying for Lit and philosophy... I've been told durham is still in reach so as long as my predictions are a*aa or a*a*b then hopefully I can apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, it's been a while but after decent AS results I'm back :smile:

Got AABB with an A in biology (thank god) so bioscience at Durham is officially on the cards. Fingers crossed could get predicted the AAA needed to get in...

Dropped English Language so we've got Maths Biology and Chemistry left, and with some retakes in chemistry let's hope they'll let me in!

Didn't get a chance to look around - if you guys did, is it as good in real life? And what collages did you prefer?
Hey! I'm on course for AAA (the grades I need to do Politics) and I got AAAC at AS (along with a C in the EPQ). However, I got A*AABBBBBB at GCSE - would I be allowed in with these GCSE grades?
Course: Chemistry with a year in industry
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAABB
AS: AAAA (in maths, biology, chemistry and physics)

Now that I've got my AS results I feel like I actually have a chance. I don't know which college I'd pick though; Castle is amazing but I'm pretty sure everyone picks it. Maybe St. John's
Original post by jack_hogg
Hey! I'm on course for AAA (the grades I need to do Politics) and I got AAAC at AS (along with a C in the EPQ). However, I got A*AABBBBBB at GCSE - would I be allowed in with these GCSE grades?

I don't see why not! Great grades, well done :smile:
Original post by victoria98
I don't see why not! Great grades, well done :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 169
gah I literally have no idea what to expect from these unis. I got AAAB in my AS and have been predicted A*A*A in Philosophy, Government and Pol and English Lit. I also got a full 200 UMS overall for my philosophy modules, and want to study philosophy at Durham as my first choice. I have extra curricular (debating inside school, outside, academic symposiums, head of house, lit soc, EPQ) but my GCSEs were nowhere near what people are getting here and I'm freaked out that any uni could turn me away because of them? I got A*A*A*AABBBB (The A* were in English Lit, Language and History, the A's in Geog and Art, and the B's in French, Maths, Core Science and Additional). Honestly is it worth wasting my time applying? I know it's non-interview so they really stress grades?
Hello all!

I'm considering doing classics at university college.

I got 8A* 2A 1B for GCSE
and
AAABC
(B in maths which I'm dropping and C in Gen studs)
Do you think I'll be okay for Durham?
Also, would I be asked to do an interview?
Hey, is anyone thinking about applying to do Psychology. I got A* A* and A in A levels. What colleges is anyone thinking I'm still deciding between St Johns and St Chads. Also is anyone thinking about applying to Cambridge as well?
Hey guys just wanted some advice. I'm looking at doing History at Durham (A*AA);

GCSEs (mainly iGCSEs actually but I don't know if that makes a difference); 8A*s and 3As
As level; A Geography (I got 96% overall), A History, B Spanish (3 marks off an A so getting remarked and I will retake the main exam again in the summer 2016) and a C in maths (I'm dropping it but might still retake some of the exams next summer anyway).
From talking to teachers already I'm looking at an A*AA prediction.

From this do people still think I might be in with a shot at Durham? Or might the slightly poorer than expected As levels count against me?
Original post by markwedwards98
Hey guys just wanted some advice. I'm looking at doing History at Durham (A*AA);

GCSEs (mainly iGCSEs actually but I don't know if that makes a difference); 8A*s and 3As
As level; A Geography (I got 96% overall), A History, B Spanish (3 marks off an A so getting remarked and I will retake the main exam again in the summer 2016) and a C in maths (I'm dropping it but might still retake some of the exams next summer anyway).
From talking to teachers already I'm looking at an A*AA prediction.

From this do people still think I might be in with a shot at Durham? Or might the slightly poorer than expected As levels count against me?

Hey, I'm in a similar position to you in terms of AS levels with AABC. It sucks, because I'm so damn close to AAAB which I'd have been a lot more confident with. I'm hoping I'll still get an offer for computer science since my predicted grades are A*AA, and if I can combine this with a strong personal statement, perhaps I'll just be desirable enough.

I doubt either of our 4th subjects are very relevant to our chosen courses so maybe they'll overlook this.

Good luck with your application and remarks :smile:
I'm so frustrated because I achieved BBBC (1 mark off an A for 3 subjects!) I'm going to get some remarked - I feel awful because i had my heart set on Biological Sciences (AAA) and St.Johns. Should I even bother? My GCSE's are A*AAAAAAABBC ? My teachers have agreed to predict me AAA
Original post by adynaton
Oh my, didn't even know this thread was up! :biggrin:

Course: PPE
As for the grades, I'm an international (no GCSE or A-levels) but am predicted the maximum in our equivalent of A-levels and already got the maximum with distinction at GCSE's equivalent.

Hey!
Snap for being international :five:
Are you going to be able to visit Durham before you apply? :smile:
Original post by grooot
gah I literally have no idea what to expect from these unis. I got AAAB in my AS and have been predicted A*A*A in Philosophy, Government and Pol and English Lit. I also got a full 200 UMS overall for my philosophy modules, and want to study philosophy at Durham as my first choice. I have extra curricular (debating inside school, outside, academic symposiums, head of house, lit soc, EPQ) but my GCSEs were nowhere near what people are getting here and I'm freaked out that any uni could turn me away because of them? I got A*A*A*AABBBB (The A* were in English Lit, Language and History, the A's in Geog and Art, and the B's in French, Maths, Core Science and Additional). Honestly is it worth wasting my time applying? I know it's non-interview so they really stress grades?

Firstly, well done!! And we're doing similar subjects - I think your gcse's won't matter too much with Durham as I only got a*aaaabbbb (B's in the same gcse's as you) but people say I can still apply for my a*aa course for lit and philosophy because it's more about the a level grades as long as your gcse's are quite good/decent and you can see how the person has improved to AS and a level. It's not a waste of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I'm so frustrated because I achieved BBBC (1 mark off an A for 3 subjects!) I'm going to get some remarked - I feel awful because i had my heart set on Biological Sciences (AAA) and St.Johns. Should I even bother? My GCSE's are A*AAAAAAABBC ? My teachers have agreed to predict me AAA

Only if you feel there is a big chance of you attaining aaa at the end of A2 because Durham could give you an offer if you're predicted that, as long as it's realistic for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Euphrosyne.
Hello all!

I'm considering doing classics at university college.

I got 8A* 2A 1B for GCSE
and
AAABC
(B in maths which I'm dropping and C in Gen studs)
Do you think I'll be okay for Durham?
Also, would I be asked to do an interview?

I think you'll definitely be okay as you already have aaa and usually interviews are not required especially if you have the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
I think you'll definitely be okay as you already have aaa and usually interviews are not required especially if you have the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks, will my B in maths matter if I don't cash it in on UCAS?

Quick Reply

Latest