The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
Couple questions:

1. When are we doing the draft aka how long do I have to learn the basics of fantasy?

2. Can we have a separate thread/whatsapp group/facebook/whatever for Fantasy so that we can still stay on topic talking about real football in here? I'm biased because I don't find fantasy as interesting as most people, but I think it the thread will also get pretty cliquey in the season if all we talk about is a 12 player fantasy league that new members can't join. Obviously a new thread is the obvious choice because I doubt everyone is as comfortable as me giving out their numbers or facebook or whatever. Or if NFL.com has an in built feature for fantasy talk that works too.

Probably look to do it at the end of this month. Last season we left it too late to set up, hopefully now we are looking to fill up early we can get a good consensus. I am also open to starting a new thread for fantasy discussion.

I have reactivated last seasons league. If anyone who played last year can post their team name so I know to keep them in, and if anyone who wasnt in wants a place PM me an email so I can invite them to the league that would be ideal.
Original post by ..DT..
Probably look to do it at the end of this month. Last season we left it too late to set up, hopefully now we are looking to fill up early we can get a good consensus. I am also open to starting a new thread for fantasy discussion.

I have reactivated last seasons league. If anyone who played last year can post their team name so I know to keep them in, and if anyone who wasnt in wants a place PM me an email so I can invite them to the league that would be ideal.

Can I PM you my NFL.com ID? Because it's associated with an email I can't get into anymore.
Reply 1122
I was Shad Khan has a Swimming Pool. I need another musically relevant football name this year. My fantasy premier league one took me about an hour to come up with.
Reply 1124
Props for that DT. Real football only in here then. Preseason starts tomorrow right? We might have stuff to talk about after that!
Tonight isnt it?
Cowboys are playing tonight. Game starts at ~3am though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1127
Yeah it is actually. There are some 00:30 kicks though. I might watch Q1 of the Packers @ Patriots game. If you didn't fancy preseason games then there's the Edmonton v Montreal in the CFL. I watched some of Hamilton Ticats (Jeff Reinbold off Sky coaches their special teams) last week and it was actually pretty good.

I have not missed American political advertising. Hilary, you may be the shoe-in candidate and infinitely better than any Republican but I don't want you in my football coverage :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
My game of choice is the Saints-Ravens. Good to see some of the boys from the Big Sky -- Josh Hill and DeAndre Carter especially.
Reply 1129
My Packers @ Pats takeaways are:

Eddie Lacy is going to be good this season. He was running as hard as ever.
The Packers pass blocking on O-Line is not where they'd want it to be. Rodgers was on his bike on a relatively high percentage of plays.

Jonas Grey might get an expanded role this season. He had a long TD run and broke plenty of tackles,
The Pats need to get healthier; it was hard looking at their offense with WR1 and 2 out and they had 24 injuries across the board which is insane.
Malcolm Butler looks ready to step up at corner. He had some good coverages and breakups, particularly in the redzone covering guys like Jordy Nelson. If you can look good against Jordy Nelson, even in preseason, I think it's safe to say that you are a good CB particularly combined with the rest of his body of work.
I'm not gonna watch full preseason games because I mean come on, but I formed a couple of opinions based on some casual watching.

Suh's technique wasn't really that great on most snaps. Played high and didn't shed blocks. Has a higher cap hit going forward than JJ Watt.

Ivory looks good, Lacy looks better and the best back I saw was Ameer Abdullah who showed everything on his long run - vision, nasty cuts and physicality.

The Jets did not tackle like a top tier defence or even an average defence. Bowles will be pissed.

Golden Tate is still probably underrated even though he's rated pretty high at this point.
Danny Shelton looks for real.
Does anyone play at uni or for a club?

I'm starting Uni in October (Warwick) and want to join both the University team and potentially the Coventry Jets (the local side) should time management allow... Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like at that level?

I have basic experience of playing, mostly recreationally with friends but I'm looking forward to stepping it up.
Reply 1134
Original post by Josh_Stride

I'm starting Uni in October (Warwick) and want to join both the University team and potentially the Coventry Jets (the local side) should time management allow... Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like at that level?

I have basic experience of playing, mostly recreationally with friends but I'm looking forward to stepping it up.

I don't play (made of glass) but I have two mates that play TE and RB for Northumbria Mustangs. They say there's a lot of running the football (this will be dependent on QB talent); the TE is usually more of a blocker than a receiver. Uni athletes at any sport tend to be pretty competitive so I don't think the standard is bad when you consider you're playing in the UK. They've got a full time coaching staff and have 2-3 practices a week plus I think weekly games for the duration of the season though I don't know how long the season lasts.

In other news, the Jags are playing like the Jags and Joeckel is still a turnstile despite apparent improvement. Bortles looks much better though. Clay Harbour just dropped a perfectly thrown TD pass. It would have been JT for 6 but he's having his finger evaluated. Bortles finishes the drive diving into the plyon for a TD; awesome commitment but don't get injured!

HT and its a much rosier picture than it was after the first 2 drives. Blake Bortles had time to throw!!!! Also went through his progressions much better. Toby Gerhart ran people over and Cpt Chad dropped a nice ball over the top for a TD vs the 2's. And I'm done. Stephen Morris is in at QB and Julius Thomas still doesn't have an injury update :frown:

Thomas out for the rest of preseason with a fractured finger. Not really a disaster but it's not great. Some idiot on the steelers literally turned himself into a missile aimed at Thomas' knees and completely flipped him. Injury was sustained on landing. As long as he doesn't stay out longer than preseason I think I can deal with this.
(edited 8 years ago)
I had a friend that played briefly, tore his acl, came back too fast, tore it again.

He had no prior playing experience but did lift. Made uni team easily.

Think the standard over here in UK is fairly low.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mariota living up to the hype...........

God I hope we drill them first game of the season, sick of the comparisons between winston and russell.
Original post by Josh_Stride

Just show up to Warwick's first sessions and go from there. They're an excellent uni team and will coach you well. Summer football is a bit more physical but not a very hard transition IMO.

My only real advice is that if a coach advises you to play a position that you didn't originally envisage, just trust them. I've been on both sides of that conversation and the coach has ALWAYS been right. Chances are you're one of the 15 people who wants to compete every year for the 1 running back spot, but position coaches are always trying to recruit second stringers from other coaches. If your position coach gave another coach permission to approach you, or if he himself advised you to try somewhere else, then your future is not bright at your original position.

As a player you will always have the choice, because uni teams don't cut players and above all, you pay to play so it's supposed to be fun. All I'm saying is that the right choice is to do exactly what the coaches say, especially in an organisation like Warwick.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1138
Original post by ..DT..
Mariota living up to the hype...........

God I hope we drill them first game of the season, sick of the comparisons between winston and russell.

I only saw up to the Mariota interception drive but during that time he only looked marginally better than Garapollo did for the Pats and he looked horrible regardless of whether Boyce was also horrible. I might give Tampa and Winston a watch tonight to see how he looks. I'll happily watch Mariota be bad; gives the Jags a better chance at sweeping them this year.
I got invited to a social thing today so I'm not going to be able to watch enough pre-season to participate in this discussion. The struggle is real :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest