The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medici103
Yes, several times. I keep on trying to improve my applicant profile and then the medical schools shift the goal posts in terms of requirements. Believe it or not, the next application I make will be number 5. Sounds awful!

Just to give a little morale boost this was application number 5 for me and finally it was successful. Still only one offer out of two interviews but it's all anyone needs. Keep going
Original post by topgear1987
Just to give a little morale boost this was application number 5 for me and finally it was successful. Still only one offer out of two interviews but it's all anyone needs. Keep going

Thank you! Hopefully it will work out for me on application 5 then! And you're right, one offer is all you need. Congratulations on getting a place!
Do you have any advice getting a NA or HCA position? Ive applied for so many positions on NHS website?
Original post by tw781
Thank you very much. Not the questions I thought! I was all prepared for the whole tell me about yourself, what are your strengths/weakness but it wasn't.

They started by asking me to tell them a bit about what I've been up to. Then (as far as I can remember) was
- asked me to tell them about a difficult situation in the workplace and how I handled it
- an experience with an angry/violent patient and what I did
- what I would do in such a such situation
- asked about a time when I've used feedback constructively
- asked about a time when I've worked in a really busy environment and how I managed to make sure I still worked efficiently
- asked when someone has done something in the workplace and I didn't agree with it and what I did

And I genuinely cannot remember the last question 😩

I'm really happy as they said 40 people applied and I was sure they would choose others who had experience in that environment so I'm very happy. I would have loved to work in a more clinical setting taking bloods etc but I'm so happy to work here and I really hope I can just make people's stay better as this is providing care in an environment where you're involved in a longer recovery processes. I'm excited :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, thanks! I have a HCA interview in a few weeks, so I'm hoping I can land a job too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roxanne123
Do you have any advice getting a NA or HCA position? Ive applied for so many positions on NHS website?

Keep going! I have the done the same as you; lots of applications with no luck. Then out of the blue I got two interviews. One of them for a job that I applied for back in June. Good luck!

Just keep trying. I applied for various roles at various hospitals and I know my local hospital didn't reply to any of my applications because I'm over qualified (I know someone who works there who told me) but I managed to get one just yesterday at a hospital a little further out :smile: see if you can find out whether the hospitals you're applying to will take on graduates for non-graduate positions.
Original post by Jacqualyn
I have been looking at GEM courses, and I'm going to use 3 of my options for them, but I'm not hopeful about the competition. I'm looking at graduating next year with a 1st class degree in Biomedical Science, and I'm easily in the 90th percentile of my year there, but my A levels are dire, as I had a very turbulent home environment during those years, and my UKCAT is only 653 (2610), which Isn't terrible in general, but doesn't look promising for GEM. I've been volunteering 5/6 days out of the week at a local hospice all summer, and looking to start in an A+E ward at my local university hospital, I'm also secretary of our uni's LINKS unit and a First aider, and I have other numerous roles of responsibiliy/ awards from my university, and I'd been a carer for my mum from the age of 9. But I agree, the funding available just doesn't touch the reality of the tuition fees. It's wrong that financial backgrounds govern who can and can't achieve, more than their abilities :s-smilie:

UKCAT can be a big hurdle. I sat it in 2013 and got straight rejections because it was low. I reapplied last year with all things the same apart from a UKCAT score and will be starting at Warwick in September. You're unlikely to get any interviews for GEM this year unfortunately, so I can see why you'd want to apply for 5 year courses. Your experience sounds really good, it's just annoying how much emphasis is placed on entrance tests. Would you consider sitting the GAMSAT or BMAT?
Original post by Going_To_California
UKCAT can be a big hurdle. I sat it in 2013 and got straight rejections because it was low. I reapplied last year with all things the same apart from a UKCAT score and will be starting at Warwick in September. You're unlikely to get any interviews for GEM this year unfortunately, so I can see why you'd want to apply for 5 year courses. Your experience sounds really good, it's just annoying how much emphasis is placed on entrance tests. Would you consider sitting the GAMSAT or BMAT?

Hi there. What were your respective UKCAT scores? If you don't mind saying? I have really good academic credentials and plenty of work experience as I work with doctors every day in the NHS in my current role but my UKCAT wasn't as high as I had hoped. Considering taking the BMAT for Oxford instead :frown: so stressful. I got 680 average :/
Reply 1428

I applied to loads and got two rejections really early but now, 6 weeks later, I have two offers. It just takes ages! I have an offer for a private hospital, which I'm going to turn down, and an NHS one. If you're struggling to find a position, it might be worth applying to a private hospital if you haven't already. I know its not exactly ideal but the pay is much better, I got offered private healthcare too, and its better than nothing! They also seem to sort stuff out much quicker. I got an interview a week after applying and an offer a week after that.
Original post by kj0511
I applied to loads and got two rejections really early but now, 6 weeks later, I have two offers. It just takes ages! I have an offer for a private hospital, which I'm going to turn down, and an NHS one. If you're struggling to find a position, it might be worth applying to a private hospital if you haven't already. I know its not exactly ideal but the pay is much better, I got offered private healthcare too, and its better than nothing! They also seem to sort stuff out much quicker. I got an interview a week after applying and an offer a week after that.

Why would working in a private hospital not be ideal? Is it because of the experience it provides is not at all similar to what you'd experience in an NHS hospital?
Reply 1430
Original post by ali.s1002
Why would working in a private hospital not be ideal? Is it because of the experience it provides is not at all similar to what you'd experience in an NHS hospital?

yeah its just really not representative of the where you'd actually be working in the NHS while you train or when you qualify. I went for a tour of the hospital and it was so nice, like a hotel, but nothing like a hospital and it was so quiet and the patients are usually in for minor or cosmetic procedures and stuff and theres not a lot of diversity of patients either. A friend of my mums is director of nursing at an NHS hospital and says a lot of the HCAs she sees from private hospitals are really good at tea and bed making and not a lot else
Original post by Amywool
Hi there. What were your respective UKCAT scores? If you don't mind saying? I have really good academic credentials and plenty of work experience as I work with doctors every day in the NHS in my current role but my UKCAT wasn't as high as I had hoped. Considering taking the BMAT for Oxford instead :frown: so stressful. I got 680 average :/

Hi :smile: I got 685 in 2013 (I think) and 778 in 2014. In 2013, people did ridiculously well so I'd say your 680 now is definitely worth more than mine was then. Your experience sounds really good, and the BMAT is worth a try. Do you know where else you'd like to apply?
Have you tried applying for GEM courses? Yes they're more competitive, but they're a lot better financially.
I looked into 5 year funding after receiving a 5 year offer from King's after I applied for their 4 year course... Basically, I don't think it's feasible without family support. There are non government student loans, but they want expensive repayments whilst you're still studying, and the charities will offer amounts in the hundreds, not thousands.

I was considering a private student loan. I know they ask for repayment whilst studying but I will be working as an agency nurse while studying so is something that is not worrying me very much.
Original post by macarenafc92
I was considering a private student loan. I know they ask for repayment whilst studying but I will be working as an agency nurse while studying so is something that is not worrying me very much.

Working whilst studying is definitely more feasible on the 5 year courses, so it's good if that works for you. The only company I found that was willing to lend £9K each year wanted a repayment of £75 a month which is ok, but for each loan you take out they'd charge that, so by 4th and 5th year, you'd be paying £300 a month which is a lot of extra money to have to try and find.
Hi :smile: I got 685 in 2013 (I think) and 778 in 2014. In 2013, people did ridiculously well so I'd say your 680 now is definitely worth more than mine was then. Your experience sounds really good, and the BMAT is worth a try. Do you know where else you'd like to apply?

Hey. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure it will be enough. I've put so far kings, newcastle and Warwick and have emailed barts querying whether I need to be in education at the moment to apply cause I'm not. And if they say I do then I'll take the BMAT and apply to Oxford. It's really frustrating cause I prepared loads and I don't know how I could do better :frown: I have a first in biomedical science as well as a MSc in drug discovery and a MRes in Musculoskeletal ageing. Also my current role is working within the NHS supporting doctors who want to do research in their clinics. But all this is worth nothing because of a damn speed test :frown: ah sorry. Rant over. I just really want to do it and can't seem to crack this UKCAT :/
Any advice given you have been in my situation before?
I'd just think very carefully about working in your 4-5th years, and how that will work out financially if you can't meet the work schedule. Not saying it's impossible but it'll be pushing it very close to the line of impossibility!

Is it worth committing yourself to all that extra debt and pressure, which will undoubtedly affect your academic performance in later years, for the sake of one year where you could reapply for GEM?
Working whilst studying is definitely more feasible on the 5 year courses, so it's good if that works for you. The only company I found that was willing to lend £9K each year wanted a repayment of £75 a month which is ok, but for each loan you take out they'd charge that, so by 4th and 5th year, you'd be paying £300 a month which is a lot of extra money to have to try and find.

I was considering doing so, even working like a maniac during the summer if I get in a 4 year course.

My familly is willing to support me the equivalent to 400 euros a month in the last years so it seems a quite decent option for me.
Original post by MJK91
I'd just think very carefully about working in your 4-5th years, and how that will work out financially if you can't meet the work schedule. Not saying it's impossible but it'll be pushing it very close to the line of impossibility!

Is it worth committing yourself to all that extra debt and pressure, which will undoubtedly affect your academic performance in later years, for the sake of one year where you could reapply for GEM?

even if I get into GEM I would have to continue working. The good thing about agency nursing is that you choose when and where to work.
Original post by macarenafc92
even if I get into GEM I would have to continue working. The good thing about agency nursing is that you choose when and where to work.

Possibly, but the difference between working to fund your maintenance loan shortfall, and working to pay your tutition fees AND cover maintenance loan shortfall, is pretty big don't you think?

No one will tell you not to do it, but it requires a lot of thought.
Original post by MJK91
Possibly, but the difference between working to fund your maintenance loan shortfall, and working to pay your tutition fees AND cover maintenance loan shortfall, is pretty big don't you think?

No one will tell you not to do it, but it requires a lot of thought.

I would always ask for the private loan for the fees as I don't have any other option. As a EU student I am not ellegible for the maintenance loan. (it is going to be a little nightmare)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending