The Student Room Group

Retaking A Level Exams while at University?

Hi,

I got grades to get into university this year but I still wanna improve my A-Level grades even though I'll be in university.

I usually live in London and will be going to university in Scotland this year.
I don't mind coming back into London just to retake exams whenever they decide to be this year and to pay for them.

The question is...Is it possible to retake A Level Exams while being a University Student?

Thanks in advance!
Waste of time and money? you'll have no time and your A Level grades are pretty much irrelevant when your degree is done
Why would you want to do that? No one is going to care about your A level grades once you've finished uni. They're still considered for internships and grad jobs sometimes, but just do well at uni and prove you have the skills required and your A levels won't matter. No point in risking doing poorly at uni because you're focussing on exams you don't need. You also don't know if those exams would clash with crucial uni dates, so it would be pretty stupid. Which uni in Scotland are you going to?
Original post by Ting Ya
Hi,

I got grades to get into university this year but I still wanna improve my A-Level grades even though I'll be in university.

I don't mind coming back into London just to retake exams whenever they decide to be this year and to pay for them.

The question is...Is it possible to retake A Level Exams while being a University Student?

Thanks in advance!

A level grades are completely ignored once you have a degree so there is absolutely no point retaking them! Just get a good mark in your degree!
Reply 4
Original post by Ting Ya
Hi,

Thanks in advance!

i wouldn't think that with all the work you will have to do for your degree that you will have time to study for A level retakes.

Also your A levels main purpose is to get you into university, once you are there they are not the most important thing anymore. After you get your degree most people won't care about what grades your A levels were
Reply 5
Original post by GoingToBurst
Why would you want to do that? No one is going to care about your A level grades once you've finished uni. They're still considered for internships and grad jobs sometimes, but just do well at uni and prove you have the skills required and your A levels won't matter. No point in risking doing poorly at uni because you're focussing on exams you don't need. You also don't know if those exams would clash with crucial uni dates, so it would be pretty stupid. Which uni in Scotland are you going to?

Ah, good point about the crucial dates clashing! I'm going to University of Stirling to do Computer Science! :3

Original post by Physflop
A level grades are completely ignored once you have a degree so there is absolutely no point retaking them! Just get a good mark in your degree!

Original post by tgwktm
i wouldn't think that with all the work you will have to do for your degree that you will have time to study for A level retakes.

Also your A levels main purpose is to get you into university, once you are there they are not the most important thing anymore. After you get your degree most people won't care about what grades your A levels were

Ah okay, cheers all. :smile: Still wondering though, at least if it's possible to do what I've asked? ^_^
Reply 6
Original post by Ting Ya
Ah, good point about the crucial dates clashing! I'm going to University of Stirling to do Computer Science! :3

Ah okay, cheers all. :smile: Still wondering though, at least if it's possible to do what I've asked? ^_^

It is possible, you would just simply enter as a private candidate at an examination centre, pay the fee, and sit the exam. All you really have to worry about is finding a centre that accepts external candiates, and making sure they do your exam board. Then you have to make sure there are no clashes with your university. What grades did u get may I ask? I'm going to do the same to bring my ABC (RS, Eng Lit and Bio) to hopefully AAB whilst at Sussex Uni next year. for Eng I'm 4 marks off an A and for Bio I'm 2 marks off a B so I think it's possible.

Quick Reply

Latest