The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official

Scroll to see replies

Hi may I ask abour Car parking & Accomodation.

I will be in the UG Guranteed category, would like to bring my car (not for everyday at all - just for occasional w/e and the end/beginning of term going home purpose, being so far away.

I will apply 6-10 accomodation all with parking facilities, requesting specifially (with or without charge) obviously, however;

Any possibility that I'm allocated one of the accomodation with 'additional charge apply' for the car park, but NOT to be given car park space? Or will it definately come with a parking permit, if requested?

For the 'free parking space' accomodations, which are slightly far away - do they still operate parking permit, eg. cramped if you don't have one, or free for any NC UG students? Asking this because I wonder if I can leave a car there most of the time and live any other accomodation at least for the first year. I guess answer is no but no harm asking!! :-)

Many thanks for your help!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Hi, could you please let me know when the offer holders visit day will be for medicine. Many thanks
Original post by marmite4t
Hi may I ask abour Car parking & Accomodation.

I will be in the UG Guranteed category, would like to bring my car (not for everyday at all - just for occasional w/e and the end/beginning of term going home purpose, being so far away.

I will apply 6-10 accomodation all with parking facilities, requesting specifially (with or without charge) obviously, however;

Any possibility that I'm allocated one of the accomodation with 'additional charge apply' for the car park, but NOT to be given car park space? Or will it definately come with a parking permit, if requested?

For the 'free parking space' accomodations, which are slightly far away - do they still operate parking permit, eg. cramped if you don't have one, or free for any NC UG students? Asking this because I wonder if I can leave a car there most of the time and live any other accomodation at least for the first year. I guess answer is no but no harm asking!! :-)

Many thanks for your help!

Hey, thanks for getting in touch.

We are unable to advise what accommodation you will be allocated to, as we do not know what rooms will be available at the time of making your allocation. Upon allocation of a room, you can then contact the relevant Customer Service Team and arrange to purchase a parking permit or obtain a free permit if you are allocated to one of our off-campus sites.

Parking permits are allocated on a first come first served basis, so unfortunately a permit cannot be guaranteed. Also, you can only apply for a permit for the accommodation you are living at as students on each residence take priority.

We would however suggest, based on your proposed usage of the vehicle, that it may be best not to bring your vehicle with you. Accommodation Services are currently looking at several options of alternative services which will allow students to use a vehicle on occasion for a small hire charge. Watch out for further details which will be incorporated into the car parking policy once agreed.

Thanks

Rachel
Original post by Ben4444
Hi, could you please let me know when the offer holders visit day will be for medicine. Many thanks

Hi Ben,

The A100 Open Days are on Wednesday 8th and 15th April. :smile:

Rachel
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Ben,

The A100 Open Days are on Wednesday 8th and 15th April. :smile:

Rachel

Thank you, sorry I seem to have posted on both threads☺️
Reply 165
Hi,

I have recently discovered the Marine Technology with Offshore Engineering BEng Honours course. Has this course gone into clearing in the past and will it be likely to this year?

Many Thanks, Matt
Original post by manicom
Hi,

I have recently discovered the Marine Technology with Offshore Engineering BEng Honours course. Has this course gone into clearing in the past and will it be likely to this year?

Many Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting in touch :smile: Marine Technology with Offshore Engineering BEng Honours did go into Clearing last year. We can't guarantee whether particular courses will or won't be in Clearing again, but there will be more information on our website (and a special Clearing homepage) closer to the time :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone
The University will be closed on Good Friday and Easter Monday. Any questions posted over the next 4 days will be seen when we are back in the office on Tuesday 7 April. We'll respond to you as soon as possible on our return :smile:
Hi,
Im from Northern Ireland, currently in lower sixth studying math, biology and physics and I'm really interested in studying mechanical engineering at Newcastle.
I was wondering what Newcastles connections are like with this industry and does it offer a placement year in the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rmcmurray21
Hi,
Im from Northern Ireland, currently in lower sixth studying math, biology and physics and I'm really interested in studying mechanical engineering at Newcastle.
I was wondering what Newcastles connections are like with this industry and does it offer a placement year in the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi :smile:

The School of Mechanical and Systems Engineering has strong industry links and there are opportunities to work with external companies throughout the course. There are regular guest lecturers from industry, visits to local factories and businesses, and the chance to work with external clients on assessed projects like the Design for Industry module.

While our Mechanical Engineering degrees aren't officially sandwich courses, you still have the opportunity to take a year in industry or work over the summer holidays (and are encouraged to do so because the School knows how valuable real-world experience is!) You can find more details on the School's website here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mech/study/undergrad/links.htm

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions let us know :smile:

Persephone
Hi, I was just looking for some advice. I'm in a different situation to most this results day. I'm a 21 year old mature student and have a full time job, I already had a btec which is the equivalent of 1 B at A level. I've taken politics and business at As and A2 this year and I am hoping to get As in those. What are the chances of the university considering in me in clearing with those qualifications? I also have work experience as I am applying for a business related degree and have been working as a personal trainer for the last 3 years. Thanks.
Original post by shedders15
Hi, I was just looking for some advice. I'm in a different situation to most this results day. I'm a 21 year old mature student and have a full time job, I already had a btec which is the equivalent of 1 B at A level. I've taken politics and business at As and A2 this year and I am hoping to get As in those. What are the chances of the university considering in me in clearing with those qualifications? I also have work experience as I am applying for a business related degree and have been working as a personal trainer for the last 3 years. Thanks.

Hi 😄

Thanks for getting in touch. I have contacted admissions and in terms of meeting the entry requirements, this would depend on:
1) what BTEC you did and if it is equivalent to an A level grade B
2) if you get AA or AB at A level
3) if you meet GSCE requirements (5 at A*-C with A/B in Maths, depending on the course, and B in English).

As you are coming through Clearing it would also depend on the number of places available which we won’t know until the 13th of August. Make sure you check our website on the 12th/13th of August or sign up for clearing alerts to see if the course you want is in clearing and if it is, and if you meet the requirements, you should phone our clearing hotline on the 13th August. More information about clearing can be found on our website at: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing/

I hope this helps! If you let me know what BTEC you did, I can contact admissions to see if you have met the entry requirements J

Best wishes,
Christina
Hi 😄

Thanks for getting in touch. I have contacted admissions and in terms of meeting the entry requirements, this would depend on:
1) what BTEC you did and if it is equivalent to an A level grade B
2) if you get AA or AB at A level
3) if you meet GSCE requirements (5 at A*-C with A/B in Maths, depending on the course, and B in English).

As you are coming through Clearing it would also depend on the number of places available which we won’t know until the 13th of August. Make sure you check our website on the 12th/13th of August or sign up for clearing alerts to see if the course you want is in clearing and if it is, and if you meet the requirements, you should phone our clearing hotline on the 13th August. More information about clearing can be found on our website at: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/clearing/

I hope this helps! If you let me know what BTEC you did, I can contact admissions to see if you have met the entry requirements J

Best wishes,
Christina

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. I got a MeritPass btec certificate in sport and exercise science which is worth 120 UCAS points i believe? I also got a B at gcse maths. Thanks for the help! Ben.
Original post by shedders15
Hi, thanks so much for the reply. I got a MeritPass btec certificate in sport and exercise science which is worth 120 UCAS points i believe? I also got a B at gcse maths. Thanks for the help! Ben.

Hi Ben,

I have contacted admissions and they have informed me that the requirements would be a Distinction in a BTEC plus AA/AB at A level. However, I'm not sure what qualification you have so I would advice you to contact admissions directly at: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/enquiries/ to be sure.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,
Christina
Reply 174
Hi,

I'm still awaiting confirmation from the University regarding my entry. I was offered ABB and achieved BBB. However, my UCAS still says awaiting confirmation. Am I to presume that you are still deciding whether to accept me or not?

Many thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BenS97
Hi,

I'm still awaiting confirmation from the University regarding my entry. I was offered ABB and achieved BBB. However, my UCAS still says awaiting confirmation. Am I to presume that you are still deciding whether to accept me or not?

Many thanks

Hi Ben,

Could you please send us a PM with your full name, UCAS ID, and the name of the course your offer was for? I'll ask the relevant admissions team to check the status of your application.

Thanks

Persephone
Reply 176
Hi Ben,

Could you please send us a PM with your full name, UCAS ID, and the name of the course your offer was for? I'll ask the relevant admissions team to check the status of your application.

Thanks

Persephone

Done!
Reply 177
Hi

How long does it take the med school to change the status from conditional to unconditional?

I met my offer for the A100 course, sent off my grad certificate which was returned, have had a telephone interview with occupational health which was fine but the status still hasn't updated. I know accommodation isnt allocated until the status is changed and I am concerned that maybe medics waiting may be at the end of the queue for preferred accommodation
Original post by OU#50
Hi

How long does it take the med school to change the status from conditional to unconditional?

I met my offer for the A100 course, sent off my grad certificate which was returned, have had a telephone interview with occupational health which was fine but the status still hasn't updated. I know accommodation isnt allocated until the status is changed and I am concerned that maybe medics waiting may be at the end of the queue for preferred accommodation

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. Please contact [email protected] directly with your full name, student number and query.

Best wishes,

Christina
Hey,

Filled in my accommodation preferences as part of my application but completely missed off my first choice before confirming it. Is there anything I can do to change this or have I now messed up??
Yes I am an idiot!

Many Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending