The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
(1) There's some stats on BMAT here:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms/applying/admissions-statistics Doesn't fully answer your question, but gives you some idea.

(3) I'd email UCL about it. But if you can sit A levels, that might be a good idea.

Thank you very much ^^
GCSEs - 8A*s 1A and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
AS Levels - AAAAA Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Further Maths
Course - Engineering Science
College - Balliol but still undecided

I really think I could make a make a good application to oxford. I loved it on the open day and the department was great, preferred it much more than cambidge. I was wandering about the PAT test though, anyone know how hard it is? What level knowledge is expected?

Good luck to the rest of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bitofageek
GCSEs - 8A*s 1A and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
AS Levels - AAAAA Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, Further Maths
Course - Engineering Science
College - Balliol but still undecided

I really think I could make a make a good application to oxford. I loved it on the open day and the department was great, preferred it much more than cambidge. I was wandering about the PAT test though, anyone know how hard it is? What level knowledge is expected?

Good luck to the rest of you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The PAT is designed to be pretty tough, but doable as it's aimed at people who have just started A2. There's a "syllabus" on the website which is just a list of topics, so it's not very helpful but you should definitely read it to check you've covered everything. The level of knowledge is mostly AS for maths and physics, although I definitely found a few physics topics that we didn't do until the beginning of A2 so you might need to do a little self studying before you start attempting papers, and it will vary depending on your exam board. I'd advise starting to work on it as soon as possible if you're planning on taking it! I sat it last year so feel free to ask if you've got any more questions, although I'm doing physics not engineering :smile:
GCSEs - 9A* 2A
AS Levels - AAAA Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry
Course - Economics and Management
College - Exeter

Just a few questions:
Is the TSA challenging and how significant a factor does the TSA play in shortlisting for interview?
Will I be at an instant disadvantage since I have Bs in some applied maths modules or do Oxford not care too much about module grades?
How much weighting should my PS dedicate to the management aspect of the degree being as I'm applying to pure Econ elsewhere?
Original post by Azula
Hey just thinking about applications and stuff and starting to look at Oxford :smile:
AS Levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
EPQ: monoclonal antibodies!!
Course: Medicine/Chemistry (not sure if a fifth option yet)
College: Not sure

Oxford will straight out reject you if you apply for chemistry as a medicine backup!

Are your GCSEs strong? Oxford medicine selection relies strongly on number of A*s, as well as the BMAT.
Guys I need seriously honest opinions - I am applying for Law, have a really strong personal statement although I got 2A*s and 9As at GCSE. I should do well on the LNAT as have done well in some practises. I got AABB for my AS's but one is 1 mark off an A so should go up. I am on track and predicted to get at least 3 As next year and should get 2A*s. I am worried that my GCSE grades are just not strong enough - I go to a private school and know they look at backgrounds when viewing applications. What are my chances realistically? Should I bother?
Reply 1526
Original post by KombatWombat
Oxford will straight out reject you if you apply for chemistry as a medicine backup!

Are your GCSEs strong? Oxford medicine selection relies strongly on number of A*s, as well as the BMAT.

Oh really I didn't know that?? How comes, I thought you would get a separate personal statement?
Original post by Azula
Oh really I didn't know that?? How comes, I thought you would get a separate personal statement?

No, only 1 personal statement to cover all 5 choices.

They want people committed enough to chemistry, not people who are unlikely to take the place if they're offered it!
Reply 1528
Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether I am better suited to Oxford or Cambridge so please give me some advice and tips. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 13A*s and 1A (one of the A*s is a Level 2 AQA Further Maths Certificate which counts as an IGCSE)
AS Level (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology) : 4As
A2 Predictions: A*AA (possibly A*A*A)
AS UMS average: 91%
Course: Medicine
College: Open Application
Original post by antisansculotte
Hi! Looking to apply for History, potentially at Brasenose, but I need to visit Oxford.

My GCSE results aren't stellar - 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C. My AS results are 5 A's in English Lit, History, French, RE and Philosophy.

Most likely will be taking History, French and English OR Philosophy next year.

Do I stand a realistic chance?

I got AABC at AS and 2 A*s, 7 As, 2 Bs at GCSE. I'm now going into my second year of History at Oxford. You'll be fine.
Original post by Ivoryfall
Fluteflute, you seem like a bit of a fount of knowledge! I've read Oxford's website and admissions and application info repeatedly, but I wondered if maybe you knew? I haven't yet seen any other mature Oxford applicants posting here for 2016 entry or on the Stalking thread, is it particularly uncommon for maturer students to apply? I wonder if my chances are that much lower than those who are coming straight out of school? x

Mature students are certainly in a minority, but that doesn't mean your chances are lower :smile: (I wouldn't be surprised if mature students are less likely to post on TSR as well)
Original post by iluv
Hi guys, I am trying to decide whether I am better suited to Oxford or Cambridge so please give me some advice and tips. Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 13A*s and 1A (one of the A*s is a Level 2 AQA Further Maths Certificate which counts as an IGCSE)
AS Level (Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology) : 4As
A2 Predictions: A*AA (possibly A*A*A)
AS UMS average: 91%
College: Open Application

Your grades don't make your more suited to one over the other. Apply to whichever you want to be at most.

(Although Oxford has twice as many applicants per place as Cambridge.)
Original post by politicalmind
Guys I need seriously honest opinions - I am applying for Law, have a really strong personal statement although I got 2A*s and 9As at GCSE. I should do well on the LNAT as have done well in some practises. I got AABB for my AS's but one is 1 mark off an A so should go up. I am on track and predicted to get at least 3 As next year and should get 2A*s. I am worried that my GCSE grades are just not strong enough - I go to a private school and know they look at backgrounds when viewing applications. What are my chances realistically? Should I bother?

I'm not sure how GCSEs are used in the Law shortlisting process. You've got nothing to loose by applying and seeing what happens?
Original post by Lainathiel
I'm sneaking over here from the Cambridge page - I've been stalking both forums for ages but have written on neither, but now I'm leaning slightly towards Oxford, mainly because I'm worried about my UMS average. I think I need to visit again just to be sure about applying, but I'll post anyway!

GCSEs: 12 A*
AS Levels: AAAA (average 93.5%) I also took AS French in year 11 and got a B, but didn't continue it in year 12.
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
College: Magdalen was my favourite when I last visited, or maybe St John's/ Trinity.

Still not sure between Oxford or Cambridge as I think I prefer Cambridge slightly more as a city. Then again, I was only there a few days and the weather was much nicer than when I was at Oxford, hmm... :':wink: If anyone wants to try to steer me towards Oxford, that would be very helpful as to making up my mind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by buzzfeed23
Your UMS seems plenty high enough for Cambridge!! Your academics in total seem very impressive!

Just to repeat this: your grades are fine for both Oxford and Cambridge. Whether you get in will be determined by other factors (e.g. BMAT, interview). Apply to wherever you want to end up :smile:
Original post by GeorgeG7
Do you think that I can make a good application for Oxford?
Yes :smile:
Original post by RGBlinkFrayXx
Was thinking of Oxford but don't know whether my GCSEs are good enough?
They are :smile: I don't know enough about Medicine to give you more advice though.
Original post by bookishy101
GCSEs: 5A*s 6As
AS Levels: AAAA (UMS average - 96%)
Course: Joint Honours History and English Lit
College: No idea
EPQ on the presentation of women in slavery in literature

I'm very conflicted about whether to apply. I LOVE History and English passionately which is why I would want to go to Oxford, as opposed to many others who are mainly applying for reasons of prestige.

I'm worried though that the amount of work I will need to put in to get a place, my school makes out that its a huge amount of work and I really don't want my Oxford application to infringe on my A2 work and my EPQ, especially September-November when it will all be happening at once. I'm not the fastest worker in the world either. I don't want my other grades and therefore chances of getting into other unis to suffer especially when I know there's a high chance of not getting in to Oxford anyway. Is it going to be worth applying or not? I need some advice on whether there is any possibility of this happening??

Also I'm not the greatest speaker so I'm going to struggle with the interviews.. agh I'm so conflicted and parents and teachers are being no help D: please can someone give me some advice?? thanks :smile:
You're clearly a very capable candidate, and it looks to me like you'd have as good a chance as anyone of getting in :smile:

I don't think applying to Oxford should get in the way of your other work. It would mean submitting your UCAS application earlier (but that means you can write most of it before you go back to school, you have to write it sometime), it would mean doing some practise HAT papers (not too much work), and possibly going to an interview (a few days away from school in December). Sure, it will have some impact, but nothing that should hurt you in a big way.
Original post by Ecconomist
GCSEs - 9A* 2A
AS Levels - AAAA Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Chemistry
Course - Economics and Management
College - Exeter

Just a few questions:
Is the TSA challenging and how significant a factor does the TSA play in shortlisting for interview?
Will I be at an instant disadvantage since I have Bs in some applied maths modules or do Oxford not care too much about module grades?
How much weighting should my PS dedicate to the management aspect of the degree being as I'm applying to pure Econ elsewhere?

Oxford don't care about module grades - or at least they won't know what they are! (You don't have to put module grades on your UCAS application.)

TSA is definitely important, but I'm afraid I don't know how important. Your grades suggest you could give it a good go!

I wouldn't worry about writing too much about Management. Possibly 20% of your PS, or thereabouts? You need to write enough to show you're interested in management, and not just applying because it's the way to study Econ at Oxford.
Original post by marthaklambert
Do I stand a better chance for maths at Cambridge or Oxford? (Considering that STEP is harder than MAT), I got 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE, and 97% A* in maths A2, then 94%, A in Chem and Phys As. I can't tell how hard Step is and whether I stand a chance at all. (I wil be taking the MAT anyway for imperial)

I think your chances are quite similar for both.

Bear in mind though that Cambridge gives twice as many offers for Maths as they have actual spaces. So you won't know if you've really got in until the last minute (when STEP results come). Whereas if you get an Oxford offer, you'll probably be able to meet it.
Original post by DanCampbell_12
GCSE grades: 6A* 6A and a B in further Maths
AS Levels: 4 As in History, German, English Language and English Lit (87% average)
A-Levels- History A* (97% at A2) English Lit A* (100% at A2) and German A (although I only got 76% at A2) an A* in my EPQCourse: Law
College: No idea
I've already got a firmly accepted offer to Law at Nottingham starting in September, but my head of sixth form and headmaster have recommended that I take a year out and apply to Oxford for 2016 entry. So I'm now in a massive dilemma and have now idea what to do as I'd absolutely love to go to Oxford but it seems risky to discard my offer from Nottingham. Realistically what are the chances of getting in on those grades along with a decent LNAT score (I got 28 last year) and has anyone else here been in a similar sort of position?

You'd definitely have a strong shot at Oxford, but it's by no stretch guaranteed.

You'd probably get into Nottingham again, so in one sense, it' not risky. But you could well take a year out for no gain. Depends if you have something you want to do for the next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending