The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jill800
Only if you feel there is a big chance of you attaining aaa at the end of A2 because Durham could give you an offer if you're predicted that, as long as it's realistic for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I can- I've already started working towards it. Do you know if anyone has ever got in with AS's like mine? I've booked the open day but its 4 hours away and I don't want to go if its extremely unlikely I'd get in :/ thankyou btw (:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Do Durham like to see UMS and individual module grades entered?

In business studies, I got a C in BUSS1 but then full UMS in BUSS2, giving me an A overall. I really don't think my BUSS1 was C standard, and whilst preferably I'd like a remark, I can't risk my overall grade going down to a B. Obviously if I entered these module grades, they may be concerned at how they were so inconsistent.
How much does Durham take UMS points into consideration? I have good grades but they're all pretty much on the low borderline.

And is anyone else thinking of applying for Liberal Arts? How are you writing your PS?
Forgot to mention also - is it true that Durham is more likely to give you an offer if you apply after the 15th of October? I.e. after Oxbridge applications have closed.

I've been told with other universities that they are more inclined to give you an offer if they think you're applying for Oxbridge, but with Durham it's the opposite.
Original post by elen90
Forgot to mention also - is it true that Durham is more likely to give you an offer if you apply after the 15th of October? I.e. after Oxbridge applications have closed.

I've been told with other universities that they are more inclined to give you an offer if they think you're applying for Oxbridge, but with Durham it's the opposite.

That is false as I spoke to the admissions because I wanted to ask about my grades and I told them I was applying to Cambridge as well. If anything they prefer applicants to be early :biggrin: Hope that helps :smile:
I ended up with ACDE (history, biology, maths chemistry) and am so frustrated with my grades since I want to do biomedical sciences and need AAA.
I want to go to Durham but my chances are looking unrealistic now; however I went on the summer school and have a guaranteed standard offer irrespective of my AS grades. I'm not sure what to do now :frown:
Reply 186
Original post by _katherineee
I ended up with ACDE (history, biology, maths chemistry) and am so frustrated with my grades since I want to do biomedical sciences and need AAA.
I want to go to Durham but my chances are looking unrealistic now; however I went on the summer school and have a guaranteed standard offer irrespective of my AS grades. I'm not sure what to do now :frown:

check your ums for the subjects you didn't do aswell as you predicted as you never know, consider asking for your exam paper back to see if you deserve more marks and get it remarked.

If that didn't work check which modules bought you down and resit them in june 2016 (remembering that AS exams are in May and A2 exams are in june so you still have a short break plus after learning A2 content you will become better in the AS exams) and write this in your personal statement that you will be resting a few modules to boost up your grades.

The main thing to do would be to start working towards your june 2016 exams.
Original post by abilockwood
Hey! Did anyone go to the Summer Schools this year? Has anyone though what colleges they want to apply to?

Yeah I just finished the Sutton Trust summer school for chemistry
Subject of entry: French
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA
A-levels: French, Chemistry, Psychology (+ did AS Biology)
Original post by Euphrosyne.
Hey, thanks, will my B in maths matter if I don't cash it in on UCAS?

Make sure to cash it in I think so that they recognise the AS and you didn't do it all for nothing :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nobodycarescarla
I know I can- I've already started working towards it. Do you know if anyone has ever got in with AS's like mine? I've booked the open day but its 4 hours away and I don't want to go if its extremely unlikely I'd get in :/ thankyou btw (:

That's good then I'm also wanting to carry on with a work hard attitude and personally I haven't heard of anyone because I've also just finished AS and starting A2 but if you ask staff at Durham (maybe there are a few on here?) then there's bound to be a few cases where that has happened because it should be down to whether you fulfil your offer but also depends on the competitiveness of your course. I also booked the open day yesterday - it's so full already I couldn't even book to see castle's accommodation :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone, I got a decent(ish) set of GCSE results and now I have just received my As Results, AABC (History, Geography, Classics, Geology) with my classics result 1UMS from an A. Please don't suggest I re-mark, I plan to resit the module I had a hiccup on. I'm looking to read Ancient, Medieval and Modern History at Durham which requires AAA. With my set of current As Levels, AAA possibly predicted and Classics resit in mind, is Durham a realistic option for myself?

Thanks, Ed.
Original post by Chris Cartner
If you've got any questions about the City itself, I can answer questions as I'm a local :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey
Naive southerner here and would love to be a bit nosy, what is it like to live there? Is it a typical city - big, busy, very urban, whats the general class and diversity mix like and do you know if the is a good nightlife? Sorry for all the questions I'm really curious
Original post by Edward1878
Hi everyone, I got a decent(ish) set of GCSE results and now I have just received my As Results, AABC (History, Geography, Classics, Geology) with my classics result 1UMS from an A. Please don't suggest I re-mark, I plan to resit the module I had a hiccup on. I'm looking to read Ancient, Medieval and Modern History at Durham which requires AAA. With my set of current As Levels, AAA possibly predicted and Classics resit in mind, is Durham a realistic option for myself?

Thanks, Ed.

I also have AABC, and likewise, I'm close to the boundaries. I don't see why there'd be a problem getting AAA predicted (assuming you're dropping geology or keeping them all on). AAB -> AAA isn't really an inflated prediction either, so I think a Durham offer is achievable as long as your PS is strong and there isn't a sudden boost of interest in the course. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by elen90
How much does Durham take UMS points into consideration? I have good grades but they're all pretty much on the low borderline.

And is anyone else thinking of applying for Liberal Arts? How are you writing your PS?

You sound a lot like me :O AAAA but quite low As. I was going to apply to liberal arts but decided on combined social sciences instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missmillie12345
You sound a lot like me :O AAAA but quite low As. I was going to apply to liberal arts but decided on combined social sciences instead :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yep pretty much! What made you change your mind?
Original post by elen90
Haha yep pretty much! What made you change your mind?

I wanted to do philosophy with english lit and anthropology so it made sense to do 2/3 in the liberal arts. Now I want to do politics philosophy and anthropology and so to do 2/3 I would have to do social sciences with borrowed modules from philosophy :tongue:
Hi guys,

I want to apply law and wanted recommendations on where i should apply.

I got achieved grades of A*AA and 3A* 6A at gcse

I really wanna go lse but do i stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abdulmilad
Hi guys,

I want to apply law and wanted recommendations on where i should apply.

I got achieved grades of A*AA and 3A* 6A at gcse

I really wanna go lse but do i stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What colleges are you thinking about? Yes you do stand a very good chance however, you need to remember it's not just grades they look at it's you're personal statement as well :biggrin:
Hiya, I got 2 A*s, 4 A's, 3 B's and a C at GCSE
Just got my AS results, which were AAAA in History, English Literature, Business Studies and Drama. I am dropping drama when I go back.

I want to do history, but I know I've only got 2 facilitating subjects and with a university such as Durham I'm not sure where they stand on that? I go to a private school and its been drilled into us (so much in fact I think its affected people) that the best universities only want facilitating subjects. History was my highest A by 10 marks, and the others were on the lower end of A grade.
I've got a lot to put on my personal statement, but not sure its enough. Can anyone offer any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply