The Student Room Group

Geology & Earth Sciences 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
Oh god I am so underprepared...

Haha so was I, but you'll be fine as long as you work hard 😳
Original post by FlyHigh_er
It's cool :smile:

Earth: portrait of a planet is the most basic book, it is usually the underlying book for undergrads. But geology as a whole requires less reading and more understanding (which is why it's one of the hardest subjects) so you needn't buy either unless your uni library doesn't have more than one copy in stock. I didn't buy any book on the reading list and did just fine. None of the books on that page are necessary they will be in your library. Don't buy any of them.

If you're just about prep, all I can say is chemistry chemistry chemistry.

There really is no true prep as with other courses, it's just to make sure you're up to grabs with A level chem and maths. Physics doesn't get much into it until second year. But since you're doing phys geog, brush up on that.

About your modules:
Time and space is about how the universe came into being, evolution, theories and some basic mineralogy.

Planet earth is about how the earth works together, will probs include soils, some hard chemistry and physics like forces and spinning of the earth, basic planetary sci and the earth down to its core

Mineralogy and petrology explains itself but it's the module that will make its obvious the people that did chem a level and who didn't. People who didn't will struggle.

Sedimentary and fossils is kind of obvious but you will cover stratigraphy, learn about lots of fauna and flora and evolution, extinction events etc

:smile:

So helpful! thank you so much.
I seriously cant wait to study time and space (i would love to study exoplanets or planetary geology later in life).
So seems like Chemistry is a must must so i'll have a look around for something to help me abit. With maths, do you mean i would do quite alot of trigonometry or what kind of maths exactly? Some parts i dont mind but please no C4 again... i hate that. I love Statistics though, very interesting stuff.
Original post by Velocity_
So helpful! thank you so much.
I seriously cant wait to study time and space (i would love to study exoplanets or planetary geology later in life).
So seems like Chemistry is a must must so i'll have a look around for something to help me abit. With maths, do you mean i would do quite alot of trigonometry or what kind of maths exactly? Some parts i dont mind but please no C4 again... i hate that. I love Statistics though, very interesting stuff.

Yeah, it's interesting stuff but you won't really cover too much on the course aside from how they exist (really basic), differences in moons and stars galaxies and the universe as a whole. Geology is too broad to go into anything proper deep.

I would recommend the chem OCR books if you're looking to get A Level books

Maths doesn't feature a lot in the first year as much, but it'll be basic stuff like formulas, conversions, algebra. It gets harder in the second year I've heard. There could be chem type maths, big numbers. You don't have to do a maths module so you probs don't have to worry for now, you won't find it hard since you've done maths at a level .

Stats does not exist in geology... Unless you do economic geology in your third year or something 😆 more mechanics type stuff, but you won't encounter that in your first year.
Anyone studying geology at Keele university this year???
Got accepted today.
Keele for Geology here :smile: yay.

FYI i did Geography Maths and Psychology so how should i prepare for the degree? I did GCSE Chem and physics so what exactly should i brush up on? tbh id rather read Geology books than some pure Chemistry books.

OMG I'm going to keele this year also!!
Picked geology and history, might change it to Geology and geography
Wbu??
Original post by Floppy.balls
OMG I'm going to keele this year also!!
Picked geology and history, might change it to Geology and geography
Wbu??

eyyyy
Floppy Balls :P
Yea i'm doing Geology and Physical Geography... I couldn't deal with human geography anymore :2in1:
Keele is amazing and i love the campus. My accommodation is in Hawthorns. I just went shopping for some clothes for fieldtrips... its all got real
eyyyy
Yea i'm doing Geology and Physical Geography... I couldn't deal with human geography anymore :2in1:
Keele is amazing and i love the campus. My accommodation is in Hawthorns. I just went shopping for some clothes for fieldtrips... its all got real

Ooh that's cool!
I'm probably gonna be travelling. To the uni, but might go for accommodation. Idk.
Hey did u receive anything from the university after it's said your accepted on ucas track?
Like timetables, or when we start etc...

Tbh I'm kinda worried cus track said they've accepted me however admission sent an email saying I got a D in biology and would want to give me an alternative course. Problem is, I didn't do A2 biology, so why they fussing over AS biology grade?
Idk..as long as track says I'm accepted, I'm sure I'm accepted.
eyyyy

Also just had a big shop at Blacks - very exciting! I've never been on a field trip before...
Ooh that's cool!
I'm probably gonna be travelling. To the uni, but might go for accommodation. Idk.
Hey did u receive anything from the university after it's said your accepted on ucas track?
Like timetables, or when we start etc...

Tbh I'm kinda worried cus track said they've accepted me however admission sent an email saying I got a D in biology and would want to give me an alternative course. Problem is, I didn't do A2 biology, so why they fussing over AS biology grade?
Idk..as long as track says I'm accepted, I'm sure I'm accepted.

I think accommodate is great as its on campus and just a walk away from the lectures.
A
When I logged on track I got the letter of confirmation but nothing from the geology department. I had a look online for the reading list and I'm planning on starting ahead as I didn't do chemistry a-level.
Wth the admission team for you its strange. Check if the course has changed on track. If not ring them up asking what they mean because you don't want to end up in limbo in September.
Original post by Plagioclase
Also just had a big shop at Blacks - very exciting! I've never been on a field trip before...

Yea I went to go outdoors for some interesting stuff for it. I haven't don't proper field trips before and I'm so excited for it.
I hope to go abroad in like Iceland or somewhere like that.
I think accommodate is great as its on campus and just a walk away from the lectures.
A
When I logged on track I got the letter of confirmation but nothing from the geology department. I had a look online for the reading list and I'm planning on starting ahead as I didn't do chemistry a-level.
Wth the admission team for you its strange. Check if the course has changed on track. If not ring them up asking what they mean because you don't want to end up in limbo in September.

Tried calling but they hella busy at the moment -_-
Just wondering, how did u receive and what did ur confirmation letter say? I still haven't received one...I tried looking on ucas and can't see any letter :frown:
My status is still saying I've been accepted, so that's a good sign I guess
Tried calling but they hella busy at the moment -_-
Just wondering, how did u receive and what did ur confirmation letter say? I still haven't received one...I tried looking on ucas and can't see any letter :frown:
My status is still saying I've been accepted, so that's a good sign I guess

Hmmmm does your track look similar to this?
https://gyazo.com/1cbca9581db8ea69c7dfbc161c3fe2c6

Doesn't have the 2 grey boxes. It might be a delay cus I got this course from clearing.
I'm going to Keele open day tomorrow to check the campus and I might holla at the admissions office to see whats up.
Lol if all goes well, we might end up in the same geology class :smile:

image.jpg This is my one.
Doesn't have the 2 grey boxes. It might be a delay cus I got this course from clearing.
I'm going to Keele open day tomorrow to check the campus and I might holla at the admissions office to see whats up.
Lol if all goes well, we might end up in the same geology class :smile:

hahah thats pretty funny. let me know what the office say back :P They might chuck some rocks at you :smile:
Ye we might, all depends on how many people enrol.
This is my one.

Does your course start on Sept. 1st? :O
Original post by Junaaaid
Does your course start on Sept. 1st? :O

Na it says that for mine also. It will start on the 26th but im not sure why it says that tbh
Na it says that for mine also. It will start on the 26th but im not sure why it says that tbh

Thanks!
So when can we move in by?
Freshers week starts on the 22nd AFAIK
Original post by Junaaaid
Thanks!
So when can we move in by?
Freshers week starts on the 22nd AFAIK

honestly i have no clue.
Hi, i want to do earth sciences next year. what would anyone recommend dropping out of maths, chemistry, biology and geography, bearing in mind that i an doing a epq in geography (fracking) so it would be kind of awkward if i did drop that.
Plus my grades were ABBB in maths, chem, bio, geo respectively. I wanted another A so im retaking a chem module next year. Are they good enough to even be concidered by imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending