The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aprocrastinator
I'm remarking my Units 4 and 5, I feel like something went wrong with the marking? As if they completely missed out the essay in unit 5 or something :biggrin: I did much worse than expected as in I've never gotten such low marks before in these papers so I feel like something is up considering I thought the papers went quite well...

I am totally with you - achieved A*-B's all year in BIOL5, including A/A*s in both mock exams, one of which had a nearly an identical essay on to the actual exam. I ended up with an E which was only one mark off a U. It just seems really odd as I felt fairly confident after the exam and I'm usually good at gauging how well I've done. This cost me my predicted A grade in Biology :frown: For the other units I got 3A's and 2B's - surely this is an indication of wrong marking. Good luck with your marking reviews - I too have applied for one in BIOL5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Achieved full UMS in both unit 4 and 5 - cannot believe that to be honest! Very very happy :biggrin:

Amazing! Did you get an a*? I managed to get my A in biology anyway, chuffed, into my firm too :smile: You get in ok to your course?
Original post by happymedicine
I am totally with you - achieved A*-B's all year in BIOL5, including A/A*s in both mock exams, one of which had a nearly an identical essay on to the actual exam. I ended up with an E which was only one mark off a U. It just seems really odd as I felt fairly confident after the exam and I'm usually good at gauging how well I've done. This cost me my predicted A grade in Biology :frown: For the other units I got 3A's and 2B's - surely this is an indication of wrong marking. Good luck with your marking reviews - I too have applied for one in BIOL5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that is insane for you! Good to get a remark, it sounds something is definitely off and other people are experiencing this too, even for other subjects from AQA. Good luck for you too, you deserve much higher from the sounds of things!
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Achieved full UMS in both unit 4 and 5 - cannot believe that to be honest! Very very happy :biggrin:

Me too, I'm in utter shock!!! I thought it was a mistake lol
Does anyone have any tips on revision/ exam technique for both AS and A2 biology? I'm retaking the whole course as I didn't get the grade I wanted. Any help would be appreciated!
got 132 UMS biol5! but it was an A instead of A* :confused:
Original post by Commando1
got 132 UMS biol5! but it was an A instead of A* :confused:

It shows up as A's in modules but A* as your overall A level grade
Original post by naomi288
Does anyone have any tips on revision/ exam technique for both AS and A2 biology? I'm retaking the whole course as I didn't get the grade I wanted. Any help would be appreciated!

I went about it by learning a topic at a time (theory wise) reciting it to make sure that I knew it off the top of my head and then practicing how science works questions for that topic at vbio.weebly.com
If you're in need of any revision material then I have uploaded mine to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3512515 :smile:
Original post by alanconnel
It shows up as A's in modules but A* as your overall A level grade

ah ok thanks
Original post by preetg97
I went about it by learning a topic at a time (theory wise) reciting it to make sure that I knew it off the top of my head and then practicing how science works questions for that topic at vbio.weebly.com
If you're in need of any revision material then I have uploaded mine to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3512515 :smile:

Hey, i also got an A* this year. Out of interest what was your final ums score( Please say you did not get higher than 550)

Thanks so much. By any chance do you have any AS notes as well as example essays that you've written for BIOL5 that you wouldn't mind sharing? It's just I want to know how an ideal essay is written. Your help is sincerely appreciated!
Hey, i also got an A* this year. Out of interest what was your final ums score( Please say you did not get higher than 550)

556, only because I got full UMS in Unit 4 and almost full in unit 5
Original post by naomi288
Thanks so much. By any chance do you have any AS notes as well as example essays that you've written for BIOL5 that you wouldn't mind sharing? It's just I want to know how an ideal essay is written. Your help is sincerely appreciated!

For AS I revised using the CGP Revision Guides (they're in enough detail for AS) then practiced questions :redface: And I've got several example essays so I'll upload them to google drive and let you know x
556, only because I got full UMS in Unit 4 and almost full in unit 5

yh i got a 100 in unit 4 and 134 in unit 5. Wbu?
yh i got a 100 in unit 4 and 134 in unit 5. Wbu?

55/60 for EMPA
100/100 for Unit 4
129/140 for Unit 5
55/60 for EMPA
100/100 for Unit 4
129/140 for Unit 5

smashed it! How did you do in your other a levels? I got A*(geography), A(math), A(chem), Physics(B)
smashed it! How did you do in your other a levels? I got A*(geography), A(math), A(chem), Physics(B)

You did amazing, congratulations! (I've heard how difficult physics is) :smile:. I got full UMS in Geography so an A*, A* in Biology, A* in my Extended Project and 3 UMS off an A in Chemistry so going for a remark :smile: x
For AS I revised using the CGP Revision Guides (they're in enough detail for AS) then practiced questions :redface: And I've got several example essays so I'll upload them to google drive and let you know x

You did amazing, congratulations! (I've heard how difficult physics is) :smile:. I got full UMS in Geography so an A*, A* in Biology, A* in my Extended Project and 3 UMS off an A in Chemistry so going for a remark :smile: x

Wow!!! When you say full ums in geography do you mean 400/400 or full ums in unit 3. I got 362 just by memorising the cgp revision guides lol!
Wow!!! When you say full ums in geography do you mean 400/400 or full ums in unit 3. I got 362 just by memorising the cgp revision guides lol!

400/400 :smile: geography was always my favourite. I enjoyed reading my notes and case studies so never really used revision guides for it haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending