The Student Room Group

As remark advice (Medicine applicant 2016)

i got my AS results back and I got: A (bio), B (chem), B (maths), C (english lit) and A* (EPQ)

i got 238 UMS in maths: grade boundary for an A grade is 240
I got 136 UMS in english lit: grade boundary for a B grade is 140

in maths (edexcel) I got (which one do i remark, or shall i resit a module?)
c1 - 74 UMS
C2- 94 UMS
S1- 71 UMS

in enlish lit (WJEC) i got:

LT1 - ums 68 (D) - EXAM (60% of AS)
LT2 - UMS 68 (A) - COURSEWORK (40%)

is it possible to get 4 UMS in the exam component in english lit? i totally flopped the exam, was predicted an A. Possible to remark coursework?

was going to apply to Cambridge, but bye bye dreams and welcome reality ;/
(edited 8 years ago)
Retake C1
Reply 2
Original post by Jamshaid101
c1 - 74 UMS
C2- 94 UMS
S1- 71 UMS

Maths seldom change. If you can afford it, get photocopies of all 3 back (deadline to order them is Friday) and get your teachers to look to see if there's an extra mark available in any of them. If there isn't then re-sit C1 next year.
in enlish lit (WJEC) i got:LT1 - ums 68 (D) - EXAM (60% of AS)LT2 - UMS 68 (A) - COURSEWORK (40%)is it possible to get 4 UMS in the exam component in english lit?

Yes - if you look at the raw to UMS conversion it may only be 1 or 2 raw marks and English Lit marking is very subjective.
Possible to remark coursework?

Not familiar with WJEC English Lit but if (like most coursework) it is centre marked and then moderated by the exam board then the answer is No.
Reply 3
c1 - 74 UMS
C2- 94 UMS
S1- 71 UMS

Maths seldom change. If you can afford it, get photocopies of all 3 back (about £12 each,deadline to order them is Friday) and get your teachers to look to see if there's an extra mark available in any of them. If there isn't then re-sit C1 next year.
in enlish lit (WJEC) i got:LT1 - ums 68 (D) - EXAM (60% of AS)LT2 - UMS 68 (A) - COURSEWORK (40%)is it possible to get 4 UMS in the exam component in english lit?

Yes - if you look at the raw to UMS conversion it may only be 1 or 2 raw marks and English Lit marking is very subjective.
Possible to remark coursework?

Not familiar with WJEC English Lit but if (like most coursework) it is centre marked and then moderated by the exam board then the answer is No.
Reply 4
Cardiff and Bristol accept a grade C at AS, so if you drop English Lit, that shouldn't be a problem. And just resit some if the maths and chem modules to push them up to an A. AS is a lot easier once you've started learning the A2 stuff, and just maintain the A in Biology. I'd apply to uni's that don't put too much emphasis on AS grades, so I'd avoid Oxbridge Uni's, Birmingham, St. Andrews. You need to apply where you think you have a good chance of getting an interview. Also, if you get a high UKCAT score, then apply to the UKCAT heavy uni's such as Manchester, Sheffield, Durham, Nottingham, Newscatle, Leicester etc. It's all about how much research you do to maximise your chances. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending