The Student Room Group

Id like to get a tattoo, but I'd have to hide it from my parents... And work.

Hello, hello. I'd like to get a small tattoo on my wrist (about 1½") and this isn't half-hearted. I've wanted a tattoo for about three years, decides on the location over a year ago, and I've wanted the design for over a year, too. Heck, I've even come up with the lineart to show to the tattooist.
Here's the problem, though; I have rather... Conservative parents, enough to the extent that they were upset to find out that I'd put my name on the organ donation register. Despite being old enough (19!) I can't make such decisions about my body, someone might abuse my organs, they don't want me cut up, blah, blah, blah...
Anyway! Now that you've got an idea of what they're like, I'm torn between telling them and getting it anyway. If they give me an all-out no, I guess I'd have to respect that. Thus, I wouldn't be able to get a tattoo at all. :frown:
Or, I could get it anyway, but then hide it from them all the time. No fun. I am going to university soon, though, so I suppose that helps.
They aren't the only issue, though. I currently do work, and plan to work in the medical field. Whilst there are members of staff who do have tattoos, they aren't doctors, and so don't exactly hold that same position of respect. I don't see any discrimination, though, even with regards to sleeves!
Wearing scrubs would mean my tattoo would show, and naturally, I would not be able to simply hide it with accessories. Not too fond of the makeup idea, either.
I'm fixed on the wrist. I want my tattoo there. xD Help me pls

Scroll to see replies

Would you really risk it just for a pretty picture on your body? I wouldn't. I'd say go for it if you weren't in a position of risking a job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
What's the tattoo?
Reply 3
Original post by T-go
What's the tattoo?

It's actually a small medical symbol xD
Reply 4
Original post by Redmark
Would you really risk it just for a pretty picture on your body? I wouldn't. I'd say go for it if you weren't in a position of risking a job.

Well I mean, I don't mind covering it up for interviews. The thing is that I don't know any doctors with tattoos and whether or not they'd been discriminated against it...
Reply 5
Think before you ink! ... :biggrin: In your case it seems inconvenient maybe save it for a couple of years.
Original post by Anonymous
Well I mean, I don't mind covering it up for interviews. The thing is that I don't know any doctors with tattoos and whether or not they'd been discriminated against it...

You shouldn't be discriminated at all for having a tattoo, but it sucks that it happens. If you really risk a job by getting one, then just don't get one. It's your choice at the end of the day and you might not end up getting any grief when you get it, you never know though
Why are you so adamant that it has to be on your wrist? There are loads of easier places to cover up? I spent ages trying to decide where to get my tattoo and eventually decided on the back of my neck just above the neckline of most of tops. I can show it off if I want but if I don't want it to be seen its just as easy to cover with a collar. My mum was very against me getting it but I did it anyway and when she saw it she wasn't happy but she'll get over it and it's not her decision. My work isn't too fussed about tattoos but i'd still never choose to get any on my forearms, wrists, hands or any places that I can't cover.
Reply 8
It's actually a small medical symbol xD

Ridiculous
Reply 9
Original post by hippieglitter
Why are you so adamant that it has to be on your wrist? There are loads of easier places to cover up? I spent ages trying to decide where to get my tattoo and eventually decided on the back of my neck just above the neckline of most of tops. I can show it off if I want but if I don't want it to be seen its just as easy to cover with a collar. My mum was very against me getting it but I did it anyway and when she saw it she wasn't happy but she'll get over it and it's not her decision. My work isn't too fussed about tattoos but i'd still never choose to get any on my forearms, wrists, hands or any places that I can't cover.

I want to get it on my left wrist because according to palmistry etc, your left hand represents your future, and my future is in medicine. It's a career I've wanted to pursue for a long, long time.

Original post by AvaAdore
Ridiculous

What's so ridiculous about that :L

Original post by Benguin
Try to find people in your intended profession to consult about it. There are plenty of places online you can find such things (have a search around on google.)

In regards to your parents, I say it's not their decision; 'my house my rules' only goes so far. Personally I wouldn't even ask permission for that; again, it's not their decision. Of course, while you're free to choose for yourself, they're free to get angry about it. The question is, what punishment do you expect to recieve, and is that worth it to you?

That's a good idea, maybe I'll ask some doctors at work, too. To be honest, I think they'll get really angry and grumpy with me for a while (I can't tell how long...) And I'll get some disapproving looks 5ever, but I suppose that's about it. Some of my cousins have tattoos, my parents haven't said anything.
I want to get it on my left wrist because according to palmistry etc, your left hand represents your future, and my future is in medicine. It's a career I've wanted to pursue for a long, long time.

Palmistry? Seriously? Are you a medic or a medium?
Original post by hippieglitter
Palmistry? Seriously? Are you a medic or a medium?

Hey hey, woah, I just feel like the left wrist is significant to me, okay, plus I'm a Hindu so the whole thing ties into that. I've thought of other places but none of them feel right.
*cringe*
Original post by HornDirndlFest
*cringe*

Agreed. I have nothing but love for tattoos but getting a tattoo of a medical symbol to express your passion for medicine when doing so may put your medical career in jeopardy is nothing short of idiotic.
Agreed. I have nothing but love for tattoos but getting a tattoo of a medical symbol to express your passion for medicine when doing so may put your medical career in jeopardy is nothing short of idiotic.

Well can you think of an area to get it, where I could show it casually, but not at work? Bear in mind I usually wear full-length jeans and half-sleeve shirts.
Reply 15
laser removal is painful.... remember that.

Good lord my sides.

the irony in your posts....

didn't you post a thread about how people should stop being so judgemental about your life when it's none of their business yet here you are being judgemental to someone who wants to get a tattoo of their choice....

:lol:
Reply 18

Dear God, no need to be rude. It's her body, not yours.

OP, how about putting the tattoo on your forearm? It's an easily concealable area I'd think.
(edited 8 years ago)
Once you get a tattoo it's not like your parents can simply remove it aha

Quick Reply

Latest