The Student Room Group

Can I still go into Accounting/ Finance/ Business?

Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this dilemma.
I just recieved pretty awful grades in my A level subjects.
Biology -D
Chemistry- D
English language- C
I have my offer for biomedical science for dmu secured but i'm starting to rethink that maybe i should change my course instead..
Am i still able to get onto an accounting course with my subjects and those grades?
Really confused and any feedback will be much appreciated.
You most probably won't be able to do an accounting course with those subjects since they usually want A levels in Economics and Maths, but you could try see what available courses there are on Clearing, and see if any universities are interested in offering you accounting with your subjects. If not you could always take a gap year so you have time to think and make sure you study a degree you actually want to do. That way you could also retake some modules and bring your grades up a little if you are interested in doing that. Goodluck!!
Reply 2
Original post by mojojojo19
You most probably won't be able to do an accounting course with those subjects since they usually want A levels in Economics and Maths, but you could try see what available courses there are on Clearing, and see if any universities are interested in offering you accounting with your subjects. If not you could always take a gap year so you have time to think and make sure you study a degree you actually want to do. That way you could also retake some modules and bring your grades up a little if you are interested in doing that. Goodluck!!

I might just ring a few unis through clearing tomorrow and try my chances! I don't have high hopes, but there's no harm in trying. Do you know any unis that dont require A level economics or maths?
Dmu are also doing a final open day which I will attend just to see if I should rule out biomed indefinitely.
If all fails I will probably just take a gap year in the end..
Thanks for your advice! :smile:
Original post by Taffo
Just wondering if anyone can help me out with this dilemma.
I just recieved pretty awful grades in my A level subjects.
Biology -D
Chemistry- D
English language- C
I have my offer for biomedical science for dmu secured but i'm starting to rethink that maybe i should change my course instead..
Am i still able to get onto an accounting course with my subjects and those grades?
Really confused and any feedback will be much appreciated.

Hey, im doing accounting and finance at uni this year. You can still go with these subjects because most don't need business related a'levels. But some may ask for maths alevels or gcse. It's always better to call up the universities.
Reply 4
Original post by Pointless Kitty
Hey, im doing accounting and finance at uni this year. You can still go with these subjects because most don't need business related a'levels. But some may ask for maths alevels or gcse. It's always better to call up the universities.

Ah right, brilliant.
I have gcse maths at grade A, so hopefully someone will consider it! Would you have any unis in mind which I could try?
Thanks for your help:smile:
You're probably more likely to get onto something like accounting and management, rather than accounting and finance or the like, as it's less likely to require maths and more likely to make good use of your essay based subject.
Original post by Taffo
I might just ring a few unis through clearing tomorrow and try my chances! I don't have high hopes, but there's no harm in trying. Do you know any unis that dont require A level economics or maths?
Dmu are also doing a final open day which I will attend just to see if I should rule out biomed indefinitely.
If all fails I will probably just take a gap year in the end..
Thanks for your advice! :smile:

I know a lot of Universitites are very flexible when you apply through clearing, I know Plymouth are not looking for specific subjects for this course but I don't know of any other. But you should totally call different Unis tomorrow and see what they want. You can most probably find somewhere, honestly. But yeah go to the open day since that might help you decide whether you want to study biomed or something else :smile:

false
Reply 8
Original post by omearatho
You're probably more likely to get onto something like accounting and management, rather than accounting and finance or the like, as it's less likely to require maths and more likely to make good use of your essay based subject.

I was just looking through that on a university website:^_^:
Would agree with you that this course is more suited to my abilities! I'll ring around tomorrow to see if there are any spaces and if I qualify, and if not, I can just work towards it in my gap year.
Reply 9
I know a lot of Universitites are very flexible when you apply through clearing, I know Plymouth are not looking for specific subjects for this course but I don't know of any other. But you should totally call different Unis tomorrow and see what they want. You can most probably find somewhere, honestly. But yeah go to the open day since that might help you decide whether you want to study biomed or something else :smile:

Oh ok thanks, i'll just have to call around and hope for the best! I'm just stuck on which has better job prospects tbh. After reviewing biomed, I'm not to sure now if I could end up with a decent job..
Accounting may be easier for you in terms of graduate prospects but the course may be tough depending on your passion for maths. I have seen courses for Accounting such as Birmingham City and NTU that do not seem to ask for particular subjects but just UCAS points. These courses are currently available with clearing so have a try :smile:
Original post by Taffo
Ah right, brilliant.
I have gcse maths at grade A, so hopefully someone will consider it! Would you have any unis in mind which I could try?
Thanks for your help:smile:

Sorry,The lowest offer I got for accountancy was from Southampton at ABB but have a look at the university league table and you'll find loads! And usually other business degrees ask for lower grades so can think about business management or something :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by tsrstudent101
Accounting may be easier for you in terms of graduate prospects but the course may be tough depending on your passion for maths. I have seen courses for Accounting such as Birmingham City and NTU that do not seem to ask for particular subjects but just UCAS points. These courses are currently available with clearing so have a try :smile:

I'll just have to check the course modules carefully and decide if I will be able enough to do it. I enjoyed gcse maths, but i'm sure it will be a lot harder than that. :rolleyes:
Oh yea, I haven't looked at those unis yet! Will be sure to give them a bell tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Pointless Kitty
Sorry,The lowest offer I got for accountancy was from Southampton at ABB but have a look at the university league table and you'll find loads! And usually other business degrees ask for lower grades so can think about business management or something :smile:

Yea I know won't be able to do the pure accountancy course, i just wanted to find a course similar in those fields that has some sort of accountancy element within it. Ooo I'll have to research on that too but that can definitely be an option, thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending