The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

commuting to herts from london

Is anyone else commuting from London to the uni???...I live in east London...It takes me about an hour and half to get there...but I feel like I'm the only one commuting this much!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Look for local uno buses that go to the uni, ? Maybe
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, thanks this is the route I take...I get on the tube and then get an uno bus to uni...do you also commute?
can't you get a train to Harts from London i seem to remember them having there own train station when i went to look round it seems like a cool uni the only reason i didn't go was because they dropped the course that I wanted to do then they did a hard sale on a Foundation degree that meant 2 more years in collage when i can go do HND in a uni at that time I was like no thanks. now five years out of education I am gong back to collage (for a year) and I am happy about it because it's anew subject for me and I will not be thrown in at the deep end so I should be applying for uni early next year Southampton is my first choice. Also I get to do freshers again good times
Reply 4
Your not the only one. I'll either be driving from North London or getting the national rail to Hatfield and then a bus to uni
Reply 5
Original post by girlonfire_
Is anyone else commuting from London to the uni???...I live in east London...It takes me about an hour and half to get there...but I feel like I'm the only one commuting this much!!

Im doing the same, what route do you take ?
If its you could do, the last Oyster national rail stop is a town called Borehamwood, here you could get the 615 which takes 20 mins to get to Hatfield from Borehamwood.

Another option is too get the a train from Kings Cross straight to Hatfield and then a bus or taxi. Taxis in Hatfield cost a few pounds to get you anywhere.
Reply 7
Original post by MattBidewell
If its you could do, the last Oyster national rail stop is a town called Borehamwood, here you could get the 615 which takes 20 mins to get to Hatfield from Borehamwood.

Another option is too get the a train from Kings Cross straight to Hatfield and then a bus or taxi. Taxis in Hatfield cost a few pounds to get you anywhere.

Hello guys!
My brother need to attend the uni. We live in west London and they mentioned that we should live near by that area otherwise they won't b accept the enrolment. But now I found out you guys also live in London. Can you guys give me any advise please. His enrolment last date is 13 October. Plz plz help me. Thanks
Reply 8
im commuting from north london :smile:
Original post by MattBidewell

:redface: TfL zone 6 (ie the limit of Oyster) is as correctly said Borehamwood on the Thameslink Line. On the Underground it is High Barnet, Edgware and Stanmore (where the 615 starts/terminates) although it is possibly a quicker option to use it from/to Borehamwood.

On the King`s Cross- Hatfield rail line the limit of Zone 6 is Hadley Wood. Commuting from West London, one option is London Overground to West Hampstead, change to the Thameslink line and then to Borehamwood for the 615. From East London, London Overground to Highbury ,one stop to Finsbury Park with the underground, then on to Hatfield with National Rail.

Qeensbury & Edgware underground are where the UNO 614 / 644 to/from the U of H can be caught. During peak hours some buses (route 644) are extended to./from Wembley Park underground via Kingsbury Circle. For further reading on these routes please look at my reply of 11th August to Sandraggor on- currently- page 6 entitled `Buses at Hertfordshire`. Unfortunately TfL Oystercards are no longer valid on UNO services even where they travel inside TfL land. Note: the UNO 614 travels via The Spires in Barnet, not the underground which is 10-15mins walk away. Most of the TfL buses however, that pass High Barnet underground either start or terminate at The Spires.

At Hatfield rail station- at present a dog`s dinner of a set-up at least as far as the bus stops are concerned, due to the re-building taking place- for the main Campus in College Lane the best option is the UNO 653, 602 341/641. Since the timetable changes in August, the 602 now goes like the 653 directly to the College Lane Campus instead of going circular via South Hatfield first making the journey time some 15min quicker.These services can be caught from the temporary west bound stop on the opposite side of the road to the station by Hatfield House.

For commuting to from the station to de Hav there is the frequent at -least for the core part of the day Mon-Sats - Arriva 300/1, taking around 10mins, this stops at The Amada Comet Motel just over the road from The Campus and can also be caught from the westbound stop as above. You could also take the UNO 602 / 653 buses to The Forum, then change to the free inter-campus shuttle from there which may be a quicker option than staying on the bus and going circular via S. Hatfield.

Another alternative for de Hav if you have a UNO only ticket is the Business Park shuttle 650, (every 20mins Mon- Fri peak hrs only) this goes circular via the B. Pk and stops opposite The Comet for de Hav., journey time around 8-10mins.

There is also the UNO 607, every 20mins, takes around 18-20mins peak hrs., which goes circular via the Airfield Motel, Garden Villages, Business Park, Salisbury Village (where a lot of students reside) before running along the Albatross Way service road at the back of de Hav. There is a stop almost opposite the car park gates at the back of The Law School called `Temporary Flag` - not marked on the timetables due to legalities of transfering road ownership between the estate developers and council, although it`s been there fourteen years! It is the next stop, about one minute, after the Tiger Moth Way stop in Salisbury Village.This is literally a minute`s walk from the campus if the gates to car park 2 behined the Law School are open, which they usually are. Both these services (607/650) can be caught from the temporary northbound and Business park stop on the same side of the road outside and to the left of the station exit.

With the 607 ask the driver for `The back of de Hav`. Some drivers may say they don`t go near de Hav with this bus with the day time service - well they do. In the evenings after 20.00 Mon-Fri and 19.00 weekends it actually goes into the de Hav interchange by The Sports Village running in the evenings and Sundays/BankHolidays every half hour from the rail station at xx05 & xx35 past each hour, taking 15mins from the station,less than 10mins to it. It the only service Sundays B/ Holidays that gives you a regular half hourly service from and to the rail station to either of the Campuses until last bus from the station at 23.05.

Don`t forget you have only until midnight Weds 08 th Oct to complete the carefully worded council questionnaire as massive cuts to council funded/ supported bus services in Herts are proposed from next April onwards over the next three years. Please read my other articles on this.
If anybody could link in this and my articles to The StudyNet I would be most grateful. Offers?

UNO timetables on www.unobus.info For all Hertfordshire travel info. go to www.intalink.org.uk

Comments welcome.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by UnclePete
:redface: TfL zone 6 (ie the limit of Oyster) is as correctly said Borehamwood on the Thameslink Line. On the Underground it is High Barnet, Edgware and Stanmore (where the 615 starts/terminates) although it is possibly a quicker option to use it from/to Borehamwood.

On the King`s Cross- Hatfield rail line the limit of Zone 6 is Hadley Wood. Commuting from West London, one option is London Overground to West Hampstead, change to the Thameslink line and then to Borehamwood for the 615. From East London, London Overground to Highbury ,one stop to Finsbury Park with the underground, then on to Hatfield with National Rail.

Qeensbury & Edgware underground are where the UNO 614 / 644 to/from the U of H can be caught. During peak hours some buses (route 644) are extended to./from Wembley Park underground via Kingsbury Circle. For further reading on these routes please look at my reply of 11th August to Sandraggor on- currently- page 6 entitled `Buses at Hertfordshire`. Unfortunately TfL Oystercards are no longer valid on UNO services even where they travel inside TfL land. Note: the UNO 614 travels via The Spires in Barnet, not the underground which is 10-15mins walk away. Most of the TfL buses however, that pass High Barnet underground either start or terminate at The Spires.

At Hatfield rail station- at present a dog`s dinner of a set-up at least as far as the bus stops are concerned, due to the re-building taking place- for the main Campus in College Lane the best option is the UNO 653, 602 341/641. Since the timetable changes in August, the 602 now goes like the 653 directly to the College Lane Campus instead of going circular via South Hatfield first making the journey time some 15min quicker.These services can be caught from the temporary west bound stop on the opposite side of the road to the station by Hatfield House.

For commuting to from the station to de Hav there is the frequent at -least for the core part of the day Mon-Sats - Arriva 300/1, taking around 10mins, this stops at The Amada Comet Motel just over the road from The Campus and can also be caught from the westbound stop as above. You could also take the UNO 602 / 653 buses to The Forum, then change to the free inter-campus shuttle from there which may be a quicker option than staying on the bus and going circular via S. Hatfield.

Another alternative for de Hav if you have a UNO only ticket is the Business Park shuttle 650, (every 20mins Mon- Fri peak hrs only) this goes circular via the B. Pk and stops opposite The Comet for de Hav., journey time around 8-10mins.

There is also the UNO 607, every 20mins, takes around 18-20mins peak hrs., which goes circular via the Airfield Motel, Garden Villages, Business Park, Salisbury Village (where a lot of students reside) before running along the Albatross Way service road at the back of de Hav. There is a stop almost opposite the car park gates at the back of The Law School called `Temporary Flag` - not marked on the timetables due to legalities of transfering road ownership between the estate developers and council, although it`s been there fourteen years! It is the next stop, about one minute, after the Tiger Moth Way stop in Salisbury Village.This is literally a minute`s walk from the campus if the gates to car park 2 behined the Law School are open, which they usually are. Both these services (607/650) can be caught from the temporary northbound and Business park stop on the same side of the road outside and to the left of the station exit.

With the 607 ask the driver for `The back of de Hav`. Some drivers may say they don`t go near de Hav with this bus with the day time service - well they do. In the evenings after 20.00 Mon-Fri and 19.00 weekends it actually goes into the de Hav interchange by The Sports Village running in the evenings and Sundays/BankHolidays every half hour from the rail station at xx05 & xx35 past each hour, taking 15mins from the station,less than 10mins to it. It the only service Sundays B/ Holidays that gives you a regular half hourly service from and to the rail station to either of the Campuses until last bus from the station at 23.05.

Don`t forget you have only until midnight Weds 08 th Oct to complete the carefully worded council questionnaire as massive cuts to council funded/ supported bus services in Herts are proposed from next April onwards over the next three years. Please read my other articles on this.
If anybody could link in this and my articles to The StudyNet I would be most grateful. Offers?

UNO timetables on www.unobus.info For all Hertfordshire travel info. go to www.intalink.org.uk

Comments welcome.

Hi there, just wondering whether you know roughly how long it would take to get from Kings Cross to Herts? Also, do you know of any quicker routes if I were to commute to the uni from the area surrounding Heathrow? Thanks in advance!
Original post by Petulia
Hi there, just wondering whether you know roughly how long it would take to get from Kings Cross to Herts? Also, do you know of any quicker routes if I were to commute to the uni from the area surrounding Heathrow? Thanks in advance!

:smile: Hello! Semi-fast train time from King`s Cross to Hatfield is 22 -25mins, the trains stop at Finsbury Park ( Victoria and Piccadilly Line tube) Potters Bar then Hatfield.

If commuting by train you may find it easier to interchange at Finsbury Park rather than K X as this is where the Mon-Fri all stations stoppers from Moorgate to Hatfield ( journey time 30mins) & Welwyn Garden City also stop.Or, if using the Victoria Line tube get off at Highbury & Islington to connect with the all stations overground train- they stop at adjacent platforms. If you then want the semi-fast train, proceed as above, then change again at Finsbury Park to connect as they also stop at adjacent platforms- this saves a walk from the underground to overground platforms !

Commuting from one end of London to Herts in the peak hours is an ordeal which ever way you do it. The only direct bus service from where you live around Heathrow is the limited stop Greenline 724 from Heathrow Airport to Harlow & return - this goes via Uxbridge & Denham then Watford, St Albans & Hatfield. There would only be one service of use if you needed to arrive at U of H by 9am and then there is no guarantee given the traffic conditions at that time of day it would keep to time.

If you are anywhere near the London Overground you could use that to Highbury then proceed as above. Again, depending on where you live in relation to Heathrow, another alternative worth looking at is to make your way by tube to Wembley Park ( Metropolitan & Jubilee lines) for the UNO 644 direct to the U of H campuses, departing 07.05 and 08.10 only, or better still continue on to Queensbury tube station for the 614 which is more frequent (dep.06.35, 07.19 (644), 07.25, 08.24,(644) 08.40, 09.15, 09.45
then at 15 & 45 mins past the hour.

There have been some issues as of late with reliability and timekeeping mainly during peak hours with the 614 & 644, but other than the UNO 615 that goes from Stanmore tube these are the only direct bus links from North West London to the U of H.

Journey time from Hatfield station to U of H is, on average, depending which bus you use 10mins. For College Lane use the UNO 602 or 653, for de Hav the Arriva 300/301 which stops at The Amada Comet Hotel opposite, or the UNO 341/641 which calls in at the de Hav bus interchange by the Sports Village. Both the 602 & 653 continue on to de Hav from the Forum in College Lane but via South Hatfield first taking around 25 minutes or more - or changing at The Forum and taking the free inter-campus shuttle may be a quicker option. Alternatively, the UNO 607 which goes every 20mins from the station runs along and stops by request the back of de Hav, a minute`s walk off campus, taking about 20mins rush hours.

Just log in to the www. links in my previous article above for definitive times and where to board the bus at Hatfield station.

Note added on 27th August 2015; since writing this article last year the proposed cuts to council funded bus routes after 19.30 Mon- Sats and Sundays have been voted through.

I will write about this in more detail when time allows, but a summary of the UNO cuts and changes can be accessed on www.unobus.info news/changes, also the Hertfordshire County Council travel site on www.intalink.org.uk news/service changes.

Also worth a visit is www.save-our-buses.org.uk/

As I see it for UH students around Hatfield the greatest cuts are the Mon- Sat evening UNO 602 short workings from Welwyn Garden City to St. Albans & return which have been cut completely, and reducing the evening 602 workings through to Watford & return from hourly to just two buses after 7pm Mon- Sats, and to one, yes one only, on Sundays/ Bank holidays from Hatfield rail station at 7.20pm.

The Sunday evening UH/UNO funded 607 that ran half hourly until last departure at 11.05pm from Hatfield station, has been cut back to 6.35 pm,( I think the bank holiday evening service not being UH/UNO funded still runs) leaving those of you returning back to camp from weekend leave with three buses only to anywhere near the two campuses: a 602 via South Hatfield and the two campuses at 7.09 pm: the Arriva 301 via the Galleria & Comet at 7.49 and 10.49 pm only.

If you don`t make more effort to support the weekday evenings 607 which still run up to 11.05pm last departure from the station and the Sunday day service that will be cut possibly next year as well.

And I gather the finish date for the rail station is now 16th Oct... we shall see.

Now just wait for the mini-cabs to up their prices.....

Comments welcome.
(edited 8 years ago)
Stratford International > Kings Cross > Hatfield/Stevenage
Hello, anyone know the fastest route from South East London ? (Lewisham area )
You want to get to Kings Cross and then take the train from there to Hatfield. :smile:
Original post by Kyshall
You want to get to Kings Cross and then take the train from there to Hatfield. :smile:

:smile: When using the high speed train to Kent yesterday, I saw a notice by the ticket barrier at St Pancras which stated that Oyster cards are now accepted on the HS1 line between Stratford International and King`s Cross/St Pancras, and I believe this includes peak hours as well.

I cannot remember the exact details but the info should be online. On the subject of Oyster cards, I think these can only be used on the KX- Hatfield trains as far as Finsbury Pk, although the TfL zone continues on to Hadley Wood on the Greater London /Hertfordshire boundary, which is the station before Potters Bar. On the Thameslink line that goes from London Bridge - St Pancras to St Albans, however, they can be used to Borehamwood.

You may find it a better option to join and alight the train at Finsbury Pk - this is what I sometimes do although not recently.

As no doubt you`ve read from my articles previous, some pretty drastic Hertfordshire evening and Sunday bus cuts will come into force from 30 Aug. I`ll write about those in detail when time allows and the timetables are finalised. UNO have already published most of their changes on www.unobus.info news/service changes.

For those of you that commute in each day the recently introduced 695 shuttle that ran in peak hours from the rail station to The Forum and back is to be cut. One sensible change however, will be using the Mon- Fri peak hours Business Park shuttle 650 to call in at de Hav so those of you who need de Hav have another option available.

By the way, I am no stranger to Lewisham - I have an Aunt living nearby at Lee. I`m not quite sure of the fastest option, but I would say London Bridge is best avoided while rebuilding is on going. One option if you live nearby a station is the Docklands line Lewisham- Monument / Bank, then Northern Line to KX, although it`s a bit of a walk when changing at both stations, or Overground from New Cross to Highbury & Islington, change on to Victoria Line to Finsbury Park and then on to Hatfield. Commuting in to the UH from the other side of London is an ordeal which ever way it`s done so I would suggest take a look at the available options on the map and try them until finding one which suits you the best.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oyster cards are now accepted on the line however it is (I think) ÂŁ3.95 each way. ÂŁ7.00 return, your better off buying a Railcard, attaching it to your Oyster but still buying the tickets individually as it works out ÂŁ2.50 each way. I use the HS1/Virgin East Coast to Hertfordshire every day from Stratford as I work for Betfair in Stevenage. Make it as cost effective as possible. My journey costs me ÂŁ6 each way with the Railcard.

:smile: When using the high speed train to Kent yesterday, I saw a notice by the ticket barrier at St Pancras which stated that Oyster cards are now accepted on the HS1 line between Stratford International and King`s Cross/St Pancras, and I believe this includes peak hours as well.

I cannot remember the exact details but the info should be online. On the subject of Oyster cards, I think these can only be used on the KX- Hatfield trains as far as Finsbury Pk, although the TfL zone continues on to Hadley Wood on the Greater London /Hertfordshire boundary, which is the station before Potters Bar. On the Thameslink line that goes from London Bridge - St Pancras to St Albans, however, they can be used to Borehamwood.

You may find it a better option to join and alight the train at Finsbury Pk - this is what I sometimes do although not recently.

As no doubt you`ve read from my articles previous, some pretty drastic Hertfordshire evening and Sunday bus cuts will come into force from 30 Aug. I`ll write about those in detail when time allows and the timetables are finalised. UNO have already published most of their changes on www.unobus.info news/service changes.

For those of you that commute in each day the recently introduced 695 shuttle that ran in peak hours from the rail station to The Forum and back is to be cut. One sensible change however, will be using the Mon- Fri peak hours Business Park shuttle 650 to call in at de Hav so those of you who need de Hav have another option available.

By the way, I am no stranger to Lewisham - I have an Aunt living nearby at Lee. I`m not quite sure of the fastest option, but I would say London Bridge is best avoided while rebuilding is on going. One option if you live nearby a station is the Docklands line Lewisham- Monument / Bank, then Northern Line to KX, although it`s a bit of a walk when changing at both stations, or Overground from New Cross to Highbury & Islington, change on to Victoria Line to Finsbury Park and then on to Hatfield. Commuting in to the UH from the other side of London is an ordeal which ever way it`s done so I would suggest take a look at the available options on the map and try them until finding one which suits you the best.
Original post by girlonfire_

I'm commuting from SE London!!! I'm getting the underground to edgeware and the uno bus from there. Glad I'm not the only one :smile:)))))
Original post by Helpmeplsss
I'm commuting from SE London!!! I'm getting the underground to edgeware and the uno bus from there. Glad I'm not the only one :smile:)))))

:smile: That`s the way I`ve done it sometimes when visiting my Aunt in Lee. The UNO route from Edgeware you need will be the 614 / 644 from Queensbury underground ( the latter also serves Wembley Park underground ) - check out the new timetables on www.unobus.info as the 614/644 are being retimed slightly from 30 Aug. Although this won`t effect you, note the 614 is no longer continuing on to serve Hatfield Business Park on Sats, but will start/stop at de Hav.

Another way is overground train to Borehamwood, limit of TfL zone 6, then UNO 615 to Hatfield if there is an easy interchange at London Bridge ( unlikely during the on-going rebuilding work ) and /or Blackfriars meaning only one or two train changes from Lewisham and no underground. Bear in mind though the UNO 615 is being reduced to hourly only 09.30-15.30 or so from the timetable changes on 30 Aug. From what I can gather however, the Edgeware option seems the most popular with students.

Kyshall - thanks for info re. the Oyster cards. Interesting one that. Even if you don`t use it in this case, I take it you have a Young Persons` 16-25 Railcard, excellent value for money especially if bought on-line for three years at a reduced rate- and I understand Santander still give you one for free if you`re a student, although the catch being of course you have to bank with them for three years!

One of the advantages of the 16-25 card is that it can, unlike the other discount railcards be used outside off peak hours although I believe a minimum fare of ÂŁ12 applies Mon- Fri. (except Bank Holidays or during July- August.)
Check out at www.16-25railcard.co.uk
(edited 8 years ago)

Comments welcome.

Hello..Im planning of travelling to Kings X then to hatfield..it seems like a good idea.
I stay near Wimbledon -London
Do u know a better option for me
Pls help..
I begin my term this september🙇

Quick Reply

Latest