The Student Room Group

Who wants a GCSE results countdown?

This poll is closed

Should we have a GCSE results countdown?

Yes 92%
No8%
Total votes: 59
Vote for/against having a Gcse countdown like the one present before A level results.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yessssss, get to it mods!
Why not?
Equal rights!
Original post by Cookiemonster057
Vote for/against having a Gcse countdown like the one present before A level results.

Yes please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's not that deep, GCSE results decide what you can do at A-levels, A-levels decide what you can do at university hence the rest of your life. It's fair to say A-level results day is more important and what would be the need for a countdown anyway ? For A-levels you are counting down to the day that decides your future career etc but for GCSE results day your counting down to something far less important. GCSE's are important just not as important as A-levels, I really don't see the need for a countdown. Its on Thursday... :colonhash:
no need for a countdown we all know it's on thursday
Reply 7
We all know it's on Thursday is it really necessary?!
Well whether a countdown is necessary or not necessary, people saying GCSE's aren't as important as A levels e.g @nihil_nimis are probably wrong now. The A level course is now a 2 year course with exams at the end of year 13, meaning No AS levels and therefore on your UCAS application no grades other than...

You guessed it. GCSE's. This probably means they're more important than before.
Since TSR didn't have a countdown, I downloaded an app for my iPhone to do the countdown for me.

It couldn't really hurt to have one now, but if it is a lot of effort, it's probably not worth it.
Original post by Xphoenix
Well whether a countdown is necessary or not necessary, people saying GCSE's aren't as important as A levels e.g @nihil_nimis are probably wrong now. The A level course is now a 2 year course with exams at the end of year 13, meaning No AS levels and therefore on your UCAS application no grades other than...

You guessed it. GCSE's. This probably means they're more important than before.

Yes but they are still not as important as A-levels, which is what I am trying to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes...why not?
Original post by nihil_nimis
Yes but they are still not as important as A-levels, which is what I am trying to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

And i'm Arguing that they will be now, as Universities have No AS levels to look at, and effectively no results other than GCSE's and whether you like it or not, I feel that as a result more important. Previously, I thought AS were more important than A2 due to this. Yes, they decide whether you can continue, but if your options are realistic, they shouldn't be of much worry.
Original post by Xphoenix
And i'm Arguing that they will be now, as Universities have No AS levels to look at, and effectively no results other than GCSE's and whether you like it or not, I feel that as a result more important. Previously, I thought AS were more important than A2 due to this. Yes, they decide whether you can continue, but if your options are realistic, they shouldn't be of much worry.

That's not what I was talking about, Yes they will be more important but what I am saying is that when it is A-level results day you find out if your are able to do the course you want to study and if your dream career path is open to you. With GCSE it is far less important and always will be, yes due to A-level changes they will be looked at more for some courses but that in no way means they are just as important as the results you get on A-level results day. It will be your 3 A level grades that will form the requirement for your university entry requirement not your GCSE's. They form probably the lowest portion of your application to university with your predicted grades and personal statement being the most important. They will never be as equal as A-levels , another reason for this is they are results from secondary education which is of a significantly lower standard they are on completely different levels. I agree that they will be looked upon more for certain courses but they won't be looked upon the same way as your predicted A-level grades or your personal statement will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's not that deep, GCSE results decide what you can do at A-levels, A-levels decide what you can do at university hence the rest of your life. It's fair to say A-level results day is more important and what would be the need for a countdown anyway ? For A-levels you are counting down to the day that decides your future career etc but for GCSE results day your counting down to something far less important. GCSE's are important just not as important as A-levels, I really don't see the need for a countdown. Its on Thursday... :colonhash:

Unless you want to do an oversubscribed course at a very prestigious Uni, in which case GCSE's are important.
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Unless you want to do an oversubscribed course at a very prestigious Uni, in which case GCSE's are important.

Yes I agree , I didn't say they weren't, they are just not as important as A-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I agree , I didn't say they weren't, they are just not as important as A-levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

True.
That's not what I was talking about, Yes they will be more important but what I am saying is that when it is A-level results day you find out if your are able to do the course you want to study and if your dream career path is open to you. With GCSE it is far less important and always will be, yes due to A-level changes they will be looked at more for some courses but that in no way means they are just as important as the results you get on A-level results day. It will be your 3 A level grades that will form the requirement for your university entry requirement not your GCSE's. They form probably the lowest portion of your application to university with your predicted grades and personal statement being the most important. They will never be as equal as A-levels , another reason for this is they are results from secondary education which is of a significantly lower standard they are on completely different levels. I agree that they will be looked upon more for certain courses but they won't be looked upon the same way as your predicted A-level grades or your personal statement will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

While you have a valid point, I think I do too. In terms of your statement that Predictions are more important, I actually disagree. I think GCSE's will be more crucial as predictions can be skewered by teachers being bias (which does happen) but also people who cheat in mocks etc.
It's coming everyone, it's coming... hold your horses :bl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending