The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RichE
You might want to ask OxfordMathsDept who have a TSR account (and btw Gavin Lowe is in the Computer Science Department).

Things - for maths at least - are much more similar across colleges than different. Lectures, problem sheets, online notes are all provided by the Department. Tutorials in years 1 and 2 largely work alongside those lectures and are based on the centrally provided problem sheets. In years 3 and 4 intercollegiate classes take over as the options become too specialized for a single college to be able to cope.

Our apologies to exalted member gavinlowe who is indeed in Computer Science. And thanks for this extra detail, especially in relation to year 3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok, this is a bit of an odd question, but, I am wondering if since I was formerly a hairdresser and undertook many brand certified hairdressing related courses and seminars, should I include those certificates in my UCAS application with my education? While the topic itself isn't relevant to what I am applying to do, it does demonstrate my dedication and integrity to my endeavours, but I am also not an academic expert and would love to have you input on this. Thank you! x
GCSE: 8A* 2A
AS LEVEL: 3A (pre-u physics is a 2 year course)
COURSE: Chemistry
COLLEGE: Christchurch
Original post by DanielKirrane
GCSE: 8A* 2A
AS LEVEL: 3A (pre-u physics is a 2 year course)
COURSE: Chemistry
COLLEGE: Christchurch

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504027
Original post by mattgreen986
Hey,
GCSEs: 5A* 6As
AS Levels: 3As and B: however, I got 100% in history and 99% in politics. (economics is getting remarked which was the B)
My predicted grades: A*A*A*
Subject: History
I was wondering whether it is worth me applying to Oxford. My teacher seems to think I would do well on the HAT, and that will mean that my GCSEs won't look that bad relatively. Also, my teacher has suggested that my referee put my UMS in my academic reference as they are a vast improvement on my GCSEs showing my improvement. Is this worth doing?

Your GCSEs are fine in the first place. GO FOR IT! :biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute
You didn't say which course you want to apply for?

Wanted to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge so now I'm not sure about an Oxford course but most probably Physics and Philosophy
I was disappointed at the lack of chat from this years cohort of applicants - they didn't even make it beyond Mk I :sadnod:

I expect better of you.

Cambridge are on Mk II already! :headfire:
Original post by Lucilou101
I was disappointed at the lack of chat from this years cohort of applicants - they didn't even make it beyond Mk I :sadnod:

I expect better of you.

Yeah but they're probably all talking about pokemon or something
Original post by Eux

Are you suggesting there is something wrong with Pokemon.... :unimpressed:

@Slowbro93

I expect better of you.

Mind you, we are already past posts 8000 mark :sexface:

Original post by Eux

Indeed pretty random stuff but Pokemon hasn't been one of them surprisingly. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody here applying or know of Magdalen College? I'm thinking of applying there for History and Politics as they have the best History reputation, but my only source of knowledge about it is my teacher who studied Law there 20 years ago. It's definitely very pretty at least :tongue:

What other colleges have an equally good History/Politics rep?
Original post by antigone-
Anybody here applying or know of Magdalen College? I'm thinking of applying there for History and Politics as they have the best History reputation, but my only source of knowledge about it is my teacher who studied Law there 20 years ago. It's definitely very pretty at least :tongue:

What other colleges have an equally good History/Politics rep?

There's not really such a thing as 'the best History reputation' or 'good History/Politics rep'. All the colleges have excellent teaching, and the lectures are faculty based.

It's much better to choose a college based on things like:
Location, Cost of accommodation, Years of accommodation given, Size of college in terms of grounds, Size in terms of students, How formal the college is, and my personal fave - the college scarf :P
Are you suggesting there is something wrong with Pokemon.... :unimpressed:

@Slowbro93

I concur that pokemon is awesome thank you :tongue:
There's not really such a thing as 'the best History reputation' or 'good History/Politics rep'. All the colleges have excellent teaching, and the lectures are faculty based.

It's much better to choose a college based on things like:
Location, Cost of accommodation, Years of accommodation given, Size of college in terms of grounds, Size in terms of students, How formal the college is, and my personal fave - the college scarf :P

Haha okay thanks! I know Magdalen is pretty central (I think), they're large and provide all 3 years which is good I guess :smile:

How about if I reword that to colleges with large intakes of History/History and Politics students?
I have a question regarding conditional offers for international students I haven't been able to find an answer to yet... If Oxford accepts someone, they usually receive a conditional offer like "AAA" at A-levels, right? How does that work for international students?

I'm from Switzerland, and our grades go from 1 to 6, 6 being the best. Oxford expects students from my country to have a 5 in each subject. Now, someone might obviously receive higher predicted grades like 5.5's and 6's. Assuming Oxford were to give me an offer, would they demand I acheive my predicted grades, which might be higher than 5's, or would they simply say something like "we expect you to have a 5 in each subject"? Thanks for your help.
Haha okay thanks! I know Magdalen is pretty central (I think), they're large and provide all 3 years which is good I guess :smile:

How about if I reword that to colleges with large intakes of History/History and Politics students?

Magdalen is reasonably central :yep: kind of out of the way slightly, as its on the edge of what I would classify as 'central'. There were 33 places for History and Pol last year, and there's 30 colleges that take it - so the intake is never going to be large.

In my year at Univ there is just 1 person studying it, but there's 3 in the year above. As far as I'm aware it's considered as part of the History intake so from what I can find from a quick look:

Spoiler

So as you can see, apart from a few colleges - the average History + Joint schools intake is about 10. So it won't vary massively wherever you go, especially as some people may miss grades and the year could end up being slightly smaller or larger.
Reply 1576
Original post by KombatWombat
No, only 1 personal statement to cover all 5 choices.

They want people committed enough to chemistry, not people who are unlikely to take the place if they're offered it!

Good to know! I'll consider here for an application to medicine then
Magdalen is reasonably central :yep: kind of out of the way slightly, as its on the edge of what I would classify as 'central'. There were 33 places for History and Pol last year, and there's 30 colleges that take it - so the intake is never going to be large.

In my year at Univ there is just 1 person studying it, but there's 3 in the year above. As far as I'm aware it's considered as part of the History intake so from what I can find from a quick look:

Spoiler

So as you can see, apart from a few colleges - the average History + Joint schools intake is about 10. So it won't vary massively wherever you go, especially as some people may miss grades and the year could end up being slightly smaller or larger.

Thank you that's really helpful! I realise the amount of people on the course is tiny, which I'm conflicted about being a good or a bad thing :colondollar:
Thank you that's really helpful! I realise the amount of people on the course is tiny, which I'm conflicted about being a good or a bad thing :colondollar:

Even though its small, there will be overlap with the people studying straight History or PPE - sorry it won't feel like you're completely on your own, unlike some degrees :P

But at the same time, you're a bit unique - which I think is a good thing :wink:
Original post by Ivoryfall
Ok, this is a bit of an odd question, but, I am wondering if since I was formerly a hairdresser and undertook many brand certified hairdressing related courses and seminars, should I include those certificates in my UCAS application with my education? While the topic itself isn't relevant to what I am applying to do, it does demonstrate my dedication and integrity to my endeavours, but I am also not an academic expert and would love to have you input on this. Thank you! x

The general advice is to include all qualifications so that selectors can see your complete career profile if you are a mature student. As it happens, the husband of one of the Heads of College is (or was) a professional hairdresser. We mention this to assure you that although most undergraduates are 18 or 19, students do come from different backgrounds and a number of academics did not go direct from school to university. So you can be assured that including these details will only add to your application.

Latest

Trending

Trending