The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Marginally missed LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eloo
The same thing applies for me! I missed my offer by 1% and still got in! On Wednesday I received the email that they could take me in, I am so happy right now. Good luck everybody, it is possible to get in after marginally missing your offer! :smile:

Hi eloo, I am an IB student who has marginally missed my offer for LSE (graduate of 2015) and I was wondering around what time did LSE give you notice of your acceptance? Like how many days after the release of the Alevel results (which is tomorrow!) Thx
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by Elena2015
Hi eloo, I am an IB student who has marginally missed my offer for LSE (graduate of 2015) and I was wondering around what time did LSE give you notice of your acceptance? Like how many days after the release of the Alevel results (which is tomorrow!) Thx

Actually they notified me in the early August, before the A-Levels results, I was quite surprised. But I know that normally they answer after the results so don't worry. By how much did you miss you offer and for what course?
I got a feeling that LSE may take a long time in making offers but once LSE has made the decision that they want you, they really want you .... and the near misses doesn't matter.
Im so screwedddd gulppp
Breathe in ... Breathe out
Keep busy .... Go for a run .. Bake a cake
Original post by eloo
Actually they notified me in the early August, before the A-Levels results, I was quite surprised. But I know that normally they answer after the results so don't worry. By how much did you miss you offer and for what course?

Ahh thanks for the quick reply! I applied for the BSc Politics and International Relations course. My offer was 38 points overall with 766 at higher level. I just marginally failed by getting 765.. Sadly, just a few minutes ago I was informed by UCAS that my application was unsuccessful. :frown: Does that mean LSE has finally confirmed their decision? or can marginally failed students wait longer for any seats left?
Reply 26
Ahh thanks for the quick reply! I applied for the BSc Politics and International Relations course. My offer was 38 points overall with 766 at higher level. I just marginally failed by getting 765.. Sadly, just a few minutes ago I was informed by UCAS that my application was unsuccessful. :frown: Does that mean LSE has finally confirmed their decision? or can marginally failed students wait longer for any seats left?

To be honest, message and call them as many times as possible. If you have a good reason for your underperformance, then tell them. If it's unsuccessful it means that they have already decided, but you never know and the most important thing is to show them that you want to study there so badly. You've got nothing to lose, so why not just call them once, twice, trice etc... Try your luck. I wish you all the best. If you need any help, feel free to message me, I'll try to help you.
Reply 27

Hey! So I didn't get in to LSE in the end... I was in the same position as you a year ago. Unfortunately I think its a pretty permanent decision as LSE takes so few people on each course, so if enough people met their offer requirements then they have no reason to take any others. However if you have a valid reason (I didn't) for missing the requirement then call them and let them know.

Please don't be too upset, I am loving KCL, which was my insurance. I know exactly how disappointed you feel, but with time it definitely gets better. Plus, you can always apply to LSE for your Masters :wink:
Hi
Original post by Cholesta
Hi

Hi
My son missed by one grade. He had a law offer which he got back in October so they must have wanted him. His dad died in June 2 years ago. He managed to achieve mostly a* doing maths on the day his dad died and physics on the day of the funeral. This was in his school reference. He got 4 a's at as last year. Unfortunately on the anniversary of his dad's death he sat his physics and got a B as he panicked and his mind went blank. We sent an e mail to say that this had happened and they said that they would attach it to his application as extenuating circumstances. They refuse point blank to take him saying that they did take on board what he'd been through but it's all about the grades. Why have extenuating circumstances then if it really doesn't matter. So if you find yourself in this position don't even bother applying😒
Original post by MaddyAmy
Hey! So I didn't get in to LSE in the end... I was in the same position as you a year ago. Unfortunately I think its a pretty permanent decision as LSE takes so few people on each course, so if enough people met their offer requirements then they have no reason to take any others. However if you have a valid reason (I didn't) for missing the requirement then call them and let them know.

Please don't be too upset, I am loving KCL, which was my insurance. I know exactly how disappointed you feel, but with time it definitely gets better. Plus, you can always apply to LSE for your Masters :wink:

Yeah I was really disappointed for a few days.. but, now i'm moving on :smile: Gonna re-sit one of my exams and apply again - but the annoying this is that my school said they are not going to open the test centre for retakes so i have to go abroad which is really stupid in my opinion :angry: But hopefully things will work out :smile: Good to hear that you are enjoying KCL!
Hi
My son missed by one grade. He had a law offer which he got back in October so they must have wanted him. His dad died in June 2 years ago. He managed to achieve mostly a* doing maths on the day his dad died and physics on the day of the funeral. This was in his school reference. He got 4 a's at as last year. Unfortunately on the anniversary of his dad's death he sat his physics and got a B as he panicked and his mind went blank. We sent an e mail to say that this had happened and they said that they would attach it to his application as extenuating circumstances. They refuse point blank to take him saying that they did take on board what he'd been through but it's all about the grades. Why have extenuating circumstances then if it really doesn't matter. So if you find yourself in this position don't even bother applying😒

Cholesta, that is awful news. Have you tried ringing them and actually telling them your son's story? You probably have already but I think that you can get emotion in a phone call that you cannot in an email. If ever there was a reason for extenuating/mitigating circumstances this has to be it. The two of you have fought so hard to get here and your son deserves a chance. Keep ringing them every day...
Yeah I was really disappointed for a few days.. but, now i'm moving on :smile: Gonna re-sit one of my exams and apply again - but the annoying this is that my school said they are not going to open the test centre for retakes so i have to go abroad which is really stupid in my opinion :angry: But hopefully things will work out :smile: Good to hear that you are enjoying KCL!

Not considering your Insurance?
Original post by GandalfWhite
Not considering your Insurance?

I am holding it until I know for sure I can do a re-sit.
I've phoned admissions and my son's phoned admissions and pleaded with them. If the remarks go up well then he's in. Not much chance of that. The principal of his school also phoned and pleaded his case telling them to look at his reference and ps again. Again it was all about the grades. We were also told he could reapply but he would be at a disadvantage with a resit. However the admissions staff were very sympathetic and helpful.
Original post by JamjamjamT
Cholesta, that is awful news. Have you tried ringing them and actually telling them your son's story? You probably have already but I think that you can get emotion in a phone call that you cannot in an email. If ever there was a reason for extenuating/mitigating circumstances this has to be it. The two of you have fought so hard to get here and your son deserves a chance. Keep ringing them every day...

I've phoned and my son's phoned and pleaded. I'm afraid it's all about the grades. In the process of getting remarks for the physics but doubt it will change. His principal has phoned twice and asked if they would please look at his reference and what he has achieved in the past two years. I'm afraid it fell on deaf ears. He's going to reapply but even with extenuating circumstances he will be at a disadvantage with a resit so he's going to fast track an extra a level with most of it self taught.😒
I've phoned and my son's phoned and pleaded. I'm afraid it's all about the grades. In the process of getting remarks for the physics but doubt it will change. His principal has phoned twice and asked if they would please look at his reference and what he has achieved in the past two years. I'm afraid it fell on deaf ears. He's going to reapply but even with extenuating circumstances he will be at a disadvantage with a resit so he's going to fast track an extra a level with most of it self taught.😒

Sorry to hear that. But, sometimes, it is just about limited available places, and unfortunately, there's probably nothing they can do when there's no more places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending