The Student Room Group

would it be a mistake if i pick History even though i havent done it gcse before

So am thinking of picking history at as but i havent done it in gcse, is this a mistake?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hello there! This has now been moved to the history forum, hopefully you'll get a better response here :smile:
No it won't be a mistake. I done history gcse and a level and I don't see much similarities between the two. My gcse topics were different from AS. You'll have to work a v hard anyways. As long as youre good at English, history shouldn't be that hard :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
It depends on your course and your school or college. Some people I've tutored who've switched schools in sixth form have complained that their teacher for history taught in the expectation that students could draw on knowledge gained from the GCSE course taught at the school. That can happen, but not always. You would struggle then.
Most A level courses are quite different in terms of content, though so I wouldn't say that's your main worry. Most people start somewhat from scratch for their A levels. I would worry about your skills. Source analysis suddenly becomes a lot harder at A level and if you lack a foundation you will struggle. With a good teacher, perhaps not, but that's where you would probably have the greatest difficulty.
Nothing that can't be overcome but it's just worth being wary of.
Original post by Geniusism841
So am thinking of picking history at as but i havent done it in gcse, is this a mistake?

Hi there,

Does your sixth form/college you wish to go to require History at GCSE? As long as you enjoy and like the subject, are willing to work hard and you're good at English, then you should do fine. :smile:
in short i would say no, but you have missed out on alot of technique learning but if you are willing to put in the time and effort you will be perfectly fine :smile:
Reply 7
I got A grades in both gcse and a level History and don't find that taking the gcse course helped or hindered my achievement at a level in anyway. What I would say though is to be successful at a level History and likewise for other subjects is that you need to have an interest in the course content. Hope this helped xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know people who got A* at gcse and got an E at A evel so gcses don't really predict the A level outcome. That being said my sixth form requires at least a B in gcse history to take the subject... it's hard to say if it will be a mistake for you personally.
Reply 9
Original post by Guardianbright
I know people who got A* at gcse and got an E at A evel so gcses don't really predict the A level outcome. That being said my sixth form requires at least a B in gcse history to take the subject... it's hard to say if it will be a mistake for you personally.

That anecdote works both ways. If people who got a*s at GCSE can fail the course how do you fancy your chances if you didn't do it?

If you get a bad teacher at A level It probably won't matter if you have the GCSE or not. Likewise, if you do no work or don't appreciate the jump between GCSE or A level it won't make a difference if you got an A* or didn't even do GCSE History.

It's by the by. There is continuity between A level and GCSE and most teachers do assume that you have that foundation and won't spend time going through it again. It would be up to you to fill in the blanks.
Reply 10
I picked up history AS even though I hadn't done the GCSE. I was getting 90%+ in my essays/mid terms, but ended up switching the subject at October half term. So it's definitely possible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending