The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The general advice is to include all qualifications so that selectors can see your complete career profile if you are a mature student. As it happens, the husband of one of the Heads of College is (or was) a professional hairdresser. We mention this to assure you that although most undergraduates are 18 or 19, students do come from different backgrounds and a number of academics did not go direct from school to university. So you can be assured that including these details will only add to your application.

Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify that so completely :smile: It's reassuring to know the work put into my previous endeavours maintains some value outside of the industry :smile: x
Original post by klefki
Wanted to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge so now I'm not sure about an Oxford course but most probably Physics and Philosophy

Yes your UMS are probably slightly low for Cambridge, although they're not bad, so you might still have a shot. The PAT would give you a chance to shine if you applied to Oxford (though of course you might not do well in it!)

Ultimately though, make sure you get the course right. There's no point getting into a course you won't love, because you won't make it through the tough times.
Original post by SpaniardAbroad
Hi guys,
After getting my A level results and achieving 2A* and 2As, do you guys think it would be wise to take a gap year and apply to Oxford to do either History or PPE?

What would you be doing if you don't take a gap year?

You could apply, but you certainly aren't guaranteed an Oxford offer.
Original post by DanieleZ
I have a question regarding conditional offers for international students I haven't been able to find an answer to yet... If Oxford accepts someone, they usually receive a conditional offer like "AAA" at A-levels, right? How does that work for international students?

I'm from Switzerland, and our grades go from 1 to 6, 6 being the best. Oxford expects students from my country to have a 5 in each subject. Now, someone might obviously receive higher predicted grades like 5.5's and 6's. Assuming Oxford were to give me an offer, would they demand I acheive my predicted grades, which might be higher than 5's, or would they simply say something like "we expect you to have a 5 in each subject"? Thanks for your help.

They would normally just ask you to get a 5 in each subject. There is a slim chance they'd ask for your predicted grades.
Original post by mattgreen986
Hey,
GCSEs: 5A* 6As
AS Levels: 3As and B: however, I got 100% in history and 99% in politics. (economics is getting remarked which was the B)
My predicted grades: A*A*A*
Subject: History
I was wondering whether it is worth me applying to Oxford. My teacher seems to think I would do well on the HAT, and that will mean that my GCSEs won't look that bad relatively. Also, my teacher has suggested that my referee put my UMS in my academic reference as they are a vast improvement on my GCSEs showing my improvement. Is this worth doing?

Yes definitely give applying to Oxford a go :smile: You don't know whether you'll get in (the percentage who do is relatively small) but you certainly could do, and won't know unless you try.

Asking your referee to put UMS in the academic reference is a good idea.
Congratulations on your AS result.

If you can come to the Open Day on Friday 18th September we will have some current History students available to show you round and there will also be admissions staff/Tutors on hand to answer questions.

The selectors will look at the HAT test result, your GCSEs, and relevant information in the rest of your UCAS application (including contextual information putting your GCSE results in context) when deciding if they can invite a candidate for interview.

For guidance here are the grade profiles of last year's interviewees:

10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1B 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-3A-2C 1A-4B-3C-1E 3A*-8A 4A*-3A-2B-1D 4A*-5A-1B 4A*-6A-2B 5A*-3A-1B 5A*-4A 5A*-4A-2B 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-2A-3B 6A*-3A 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A 6A*-5A-1D 6A*-6A 6A*-7A 7A*-2A-1C 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 7A*-5A 8A* 8A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-3A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A

Do you have grade profiles for E&M
Could I just have extra confirmation here... I am planning on applying to Oxford's E&M course but pure econ to 4 other unis (because I prefer the econ aspect). However now I don't really want to dedicate any paragraph in my PS to management and keep it all econ related simply because it's only one of my five choices and I feel it might compromise my econ chances at other unis.

Would this be okay??? (Ofc I will heavily read around the subject if I were to get an interview).
Original post by Ecconomist
Could I just have extra confirmation here... I am planning on applying to Oxford's E&M course but pure econ to 4 other unis (because I prefer the econ aspect). However now I don't really want to dedicate any paragraph in my PS to management and keep it all econ related simply because it's only one of my five choices and I feel it might compromise my econ chances at other unis.

Would this be okay??? (Ofc I will heavily read around the subject if I were to get an interview).

If you prefer econ to the point that you don't want to apply for E&M at other universities, why are you applying for E&M at Oxford when there's a perfectly good pure econ course at Cambridge? Management is a significant component of E&M at Oxford (half of the first year course!) and you will be making it much harder for yourself by pretending that half of your degree does not exist when you submit your application.
I am intending to apply to Oxford to study French, but I am a bit worried about sending in written work. I will be fine submitting a French essay but I don't do any other essay subjects so I was wondering what I could submit as my written work in English?
Congratulations on your AS result.

If you can come to the Open Day on Friday 18th September we will have some current History students available to show you round and there will also be admissions staff/Tutors on hand to answer questions.

The selectors will look at the HAT test result, your GCSEs, and relevant information in the rest of your UCAS application (including contextual information putting your GCSE results in context) when deciding if they can invite a candidate for interview.

For guidance here are the grade profiles of last year's interviewees:

10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1B 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 12A* 12A*-1A 1A*-3A-2C 1A-4B-3C-1E 3A*-8A 4A*-3A-2B-1D 4A*-5A-1B 4A*-6A-2B 5A*-3A-1B 5A*-4A 5A*-4A-2B 5A*-5A-1B 5A*-7A-1B 6A*-2A-3B 6A*-3A 6A*-3A-2B 6A*-4A 6A*-5A-1D 6A*-6A 6A*-7A 7A*-2A-1C 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 7A*-5A 8A* 8A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-3A 9A*-1A 9A*-2A

Hello! Could I see the profiles of last year's medicine interviewees? Thank you so much! Did any of them do IB instead of A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1590
Original post by fluteflute
Your grades don't make your more suited to one over the other. Apply to whichever you want to be at most.

(Although Oxford has twice as many applicants per place as Cambridge.)

I love Cambridge as a city, the only thing drawing me to Oxford are my GCSEs which makes me more likely to get an interview. The thing I am worried about is my UMS average, do you think it's good enough to even get me an interview at Cambridge?
Original post by iluv
I love Cambridge as a city, the only thing drawing me to Oxford are my GCSEs which makes me more likely to get an interview. The thing I am worried about is my UMS average, do you think it's good enough to even get me an interview at Cambridge?

I think you could probably get an interview at either, though of course neither is guaranteed (and the BMAT will play a significant part). In my opinion, you don't have a clearly better chance at one rather than the other.
I'm just wondering, by the way, because I didn't do my GCSEs in UK, (I did GCE O Levels instead in Singapore) will they look at my GCE O Levels instead? Because my AS results weren't really superb
so I'm hoping that my O Levels will kinda save me. :colondollar: Plus I started my AS in January so ://
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BJack
If you prefer econ to the point that you don't want to apply for E&M at other universities, why are you applying for E&M at Oxford when there's a perfectly good pure econ course at Cambridge? Management is a significant component of E&M at Oxford (half of the first year course!) and you will be making it much harder for yourself by pretending that half of your degree does not exist when you submit your application.

It's not that I significantly prefer Econ... I worded that a bit wrong I think. I have read 'Images of Organisation' and one of my father's old management books which concerns the historical evolution of business strategy and I did find it interesting and found it might complement my interest in micro too.

However, being realistic, with a 7% acceptance rate onto the course at Oxford, I don't want to compromise my chances of LSE, UCL etc. which are also very competitive (and it would be a shame because yes I do want to convey my interest in management).

My UMS for Cambridge would be okay for an autopool (>93%) but I performed relatively poorly in my Maths modules and being a highly quantitative course, I thought that a) this would be detrimental to my chances of an offer and b) maybe such a course isn't for me.

Do Oxford put more weight on grades and the TSA for shortlisting though?
(edited 8 years ago)
I want to apply to Wadham for maths, as I prefer Oxford's application process and course to Cambridge, however I feel that I have quite strong UMS in my maths A2, 97%, A* (i did the full A level in my As year), is there any way of mentioning UMS in application that would help me?
Original post by marthaklambert
I want to apply to Wadham for maths, as I prefer Oxford's application process and course to Cambridge, however I feel that I have quite strong UMS in my maths A2, 97%, A* (i did the full A level in my As year), is there any way of mentioning UMS in application that would help me?

Get your referee to mention it in your reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im going to apply to Oxford for PPE. Im not sure which college, or if itll be an open application. As Im a mature student, Ill be doing a credit for entry course and I am also thinking of doing some distance learning A levels, defintely Maths and probably History. Its been some time since I was at school, and the process for Uni application seems to have changed a lot, so will be on here a fair bit to try and find out about what happens.
Original post by AspirantPPE
Im going to apply to Oxford for PPE. Im not sure which college, or if itll be an open application. As Im a mature student, Ill be doing a credit for entry course and I am also thinking of doing some distance learning A levels, defintely Maths and probably History. Its been some time since I was at school, and the process for Uni application seems to have changed a lot, so will be on here a fair bit to try and find out about what happens.

Enter details into stalking page here! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504027
Original post by camillaswift
Hello! Could I see the profiles of last year's medicine interviewees? Thank you so much! Did any of them do IB instead of A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medical applicants to Brasenose with a GCSE profile invited to interview are listed below. The IB is just as acceptable as A-levels for Medicine as well as other subjects. The number varies from year to year. In 2014, we think four interviewees studied for the IB.
9A*-1B 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-1A-1B 6A*-2A-1B 2A*-3A-3B 12A*-1A 12A*-1A 12A* 12A* 12A* 12A* 11A*-1A 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*
Reply 1599
Medical applicants to Brasenose with a GCSE profile invited to interview are listed below. The IB is just as acceptable as A-levels for Medicine as well as other subjects. The number varies from year to year. In 2014, we think four interviewees studied for the IB.
9A*-1B 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 9A*-1A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-1A-1B 6A*-2A-1B 2A*-3A-3B 12A*-1A 12A*-1A 12A* 12A* 12A* 12A* 11A*-1A 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 11A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*

Hi, was wondering if you have GCSE stats for Experimental Psychology interviewees? I have 7A*s, 3As and 1B. Even though the B is in Drama, I'm worried it just doesn't look good...
Thanks so much in advance.

Latest

Trending

Trending