The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amywool
Hey. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not sure it will be enough. I've put so far kings, newcastle and Warwick and have emailed barts querying whether I need to be in education at the moment to apply cause I'm not. And if they say I do then I'll take the BMAT and apply to Oxford. It's really frustrating cause I prepared loads and I don't know how I could do better :frown: I have a first in biomedical science as well as a MSc in drug discovery and a MRes in Musculoskeletal ageing. Also my current role is working within the NHS supporting doctors who want to do research in their clinics. But all this is worth nothing because of a damn speed test :frown: ah sorry. Rant over. I just really want to do it and can't seem to crack this UKCAT :/
Any advice given you have been in my situation before?

The UKCAT is so annoying. I felt as though I worked hard both years, but came out with a significantly better score the second time. I do think familiarity with the test format helps, though.
I think lots of reading generally, is good practice for VR, and there are lots of questions on e-medica and medify for all the subsections. In addition, general graduate style logic tests are good practice, but I never expected to do as well as I did, so I'm not sure how best to advise!
Your application does sound really good otherwise. If you didn't get in this year, would you consider doing the GAMSAT? It's what I was considering if I didn't get in this time, as it seems a lot less random than the UKCAT.

Original post by macarenafc92
I was considering doing so, even working like a maniac during the summer if I get in a 4 year course.

My familly is willing to support me the equivalent to 400 euros a month in the last years so it seems a quite decent option for me.

That's good! 5 years is definitely a good option if you can manage financially, and I imagine you'll be able to get a fair few hours as an agency nurse. My part time job earns me the minimum wage, which is fine to earn a few extra £s over holiday time, but it wouldn't do much good for fees.
Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by Going_To_California
The UKCAT is so annoying. I felt as though I worked hard both years, but came out with a significantly better score the second time. I do think familiarity with the test format helps, though.
I think lots of reading generally, is good practice for VR, and there are lots of questions on e-medica and medify for all the subsections. In addition, general graduate style logic tests are good practice, but I never expected to do as well as I did, so I'm not sure how best to advise!
Your application does sound really good otherwise. If you didn't get in this year, would you consider doing the GAMSAT? It's what I was considering if I didn't get in this time, as it seems a lot less random than the UKCAT.

That's good! 5 years is definitely a good option if you can manage financially, and I imagine you'll be able to get a fair few hours as an agency nurse. My part time job earns me the minimum wage, which is fine to earn a few extra £s over holiday time, but it wouldn't do much good for fees.
Where are you thinking of applying?

GEM Cambridge and Warwick
5 year Imperial
5 year Manchester

Agency nursing can be really good money. Where are you thinking about applying?
Original post by macarenafc92
GEM Cambridge and Warwick
5 year Imperial
5 year Manchester

Agency nursing can be really good money. Where are you thinking about applying?

Sounds good! After two application cycles, I'll be starting at Warwick next month :smile:
Are there any other physios applying for gem on here?
So apparently the end of test data for the UKCAT will be available on 9th October, which is still close to the application deadline, but still better than the 13th.
Original post by Natha_Lite
So apparently the end of test data for the UKCAT will be available on 9th October, which is still close to the application deadline, but still better than the 13th.

Thanks for this!

I guess there's no real incentive to complete your UCAS application until the release of the UKCAT data then.
Original post by PkT1991
Thanks for this!

I guess there's no real incentive to complete your UCAS application until the release of the UKCAT data then.

No worries!

I made the mistake of sending my previous applications far too early so I'm definitely not going to rush this one.
Reply 1447
So many people who applied last year and are applying this year have said they've done several rounds of applications, but when I went to Warwick open day every student I spoke to got in on their first round 😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tw781
So many people who applied last year and are applying this year have said they've done several rounds of applications, but when I went to Warwick open day every student I spoke to got in on their first round 😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Warwick's course is graduate entry so it may have just been their first graduate application. GEM involves more box ticking than anything else, so if you have the minimum requirements for that year you're a lot more likely to get an interview.
Well Warwick's course is graduate entry so it may have just been their first graduate application. GEM involves more box ticking than anything else, so if you have the minimum requirements for that year you're a lot more likely to get an interview.

Gem is more competative for interview, not less. Seem to remember the interview rate is 1 in 4 for gem and 1 in 2.8ish for undergrad overall, though i am working from memory here.. Warwick interview ratio is a bit better i think but gem is conconsiderably more competitive overall, both in terms of applicants:spaces and because the compatition is stiffer since everyone has more life skills to present at interview. As few unis rely on PS anymore most invites to interview, gem or undergrad, are about box ticking in terms of meeting the ukcat/bmat/gamsat score, in which case its better to apply for undergrad, as cuttoffs are lower. Meeting the min requirements mean youre less likely to get an interview, not more so, at gem level.

Just don't want people to get the wrong impression.
Reply 1450
Original post by am1992
Gem is more competative for interview, not less. Seem to remember the interview rate is 1 in 4 for gem and 1 in 2.8ish for undergrad overall, though i am working from memory here.. Warwick interview ratio is a bit better i think but gem is conconsiderably more competitive overall, both in terms of applicants:spaces and because the compatition is stiffer since everyone has more life skills to present at interview. As few unis rely on PS anymore most invites to interview, gem or undergrad, are about box ticking in terms of meeting the ukcat/bmat/gamsat score, in which case its better to apply for undergrad, as cuttoffs are lower. Meeting the min requirements mean youre less likely to get an interview, not more so, at gem level.

That's exactly how I imagined it! I guess the people who help out at open their days are the people who are very the best of best and that's why they were like Erm no it was my first time apply. They almost seemed shocked when I asked and also, in my opinion, they had barely ANY experience compared to what is guys are trying to gather up! I guess it's all about how to impress at interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by am1992

Of course, GEM is definitely more competitive. I wouldn't want to give the impression that it's easy.It's just that once you meet the cutoff requirements for that year you'll likely get an interview.
It's just making sure you meet the cutoffs with the UKCAT, GAMSAT etc. and ensuring you have the right degree. I feel with the undergrad entry there are usually a lot more variables with GCSEs, AS/A2 grades and the admissions test, it's slightly trickier to work out where you stand. This is my opinion though, so don't take it as fact.
(edited 8 years ago)
Of course, GEM is definitely more competitive. I wouldn't want to give the impression that it's easy.It's just that once you meet the cutoff requirements for that year you'll likely get an interview.
It's just making sure you meet the cutoffs with the UKCAT, GAMSAT etc. and ensuring you have the right degree. I feel with the undergrad entry there are usually a lot more variables with GCSEs, AS/A2 grades and the admissions test, it's slightly trickier to work out where you stand. This is my opinion though, so don't take it as fact.

Fair point, it is more straight forward in some ways in that its often just making sure you have a 2.1/1st, though some unis do look at a-levels i think (not 100% sure though, im scottish and didnt do a-levels or equivalent so only applied to programs that dont require them).
Original post by tw781
That's exactly how I imagined it! I guess the people who help out at open their days are the people who are very the best of best and that's why they were like Erm no it was my first time apply. They almost seemed shocked when I asked and also, in my opinion, they had barely ANY experience compared to what is guys are trying to gather up! I guess it's all about how to impress at interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bit early to be considering interview but ii found that having lots of experience makes things easier. Means you dont keep referring back to the same example each question. That said, it is all about how you present yourself, if youre confident and clearly enthusiastic that's 90% of the battle won.
Reply 1454
Original post by am1992
Bit early to be considering interview but ii found that having lots of experience makes things easier. Means you dont keep referring back to the same example each question. That said, it is all about how you present yourself, if youre confident and clearly enthusiastic that's 90% of the battle won.

That's true. And tbh, it depends on the people they have interviewing. Certain people will like certain personality types while others with naturally dislike them!

I think I will be lucky to get in on my first round unless I have an unbelievable UKCAT as I'm just being realistic! Although getting my NA/HCA job has really boosted my confidence as I didn't prepare for the interview and got the job when they said there were 40 applicants so I'm feeling a tiny bit better about this whole competitive process over the next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have my UKCAT tomorrow morning - not very feeling optimistic about it tbh :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Emily Thorne
I have my UKCAT tomorrow morning - not very feeling optimistic about it tbh :/

Good luck! Stay positive and calm and just so your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amywool
So maybe this was me being a bit dumb but I was under the impression that some unis took the percentiles of al test takers scores to find a cut off point which reflected high scorers and then they used this for the GEM. when really they do this just for the applicants. So I was fretting because I knew I wouldn't get as good as someone just out of school. Maybe people already knew this I don't know - probably me just being stupid!
I got 680: 620, 740, 710, 650 and I know 2 other gem applicants who got 660 and 665

Now I'm confused haha! But I thought unis took the top scores of their applicants? Let's say the top marks were 750-800, but a uni only got applicants where the max score was 750, they'd have to take the top 20 percent from their pool? Does that make sense? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

680 isn't a bad score at all! Well done, you should be proud of yourself. I wouldn't judge the averages by what you see on here. The TSR can give a skewed representation. With 680, I'd maybe put down Warwick as their cut off was 700 last year.

Can I ask what you materials you prepared with? And also, how you felt the exam compared to revision material in each section? Thanks!! (Sorry for late reply)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HCAssistant93
Now I'm confused haha! But I thought unis took the top scores of their applicants? Let's say the top marks were 750-800, but a uni only got applicants where the max score was 750, they'd have to take the top 20 percent from their pool? Does that make sense? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

680 isn't a bad score at all! Well done, you should be proud of yourself. I wouldn't judge the averages by what you see on here. The TSR can give a skewed representation. With 680, I'd maybe put down Warwick as their cut off was 700 last year.

Can I ask what you materials you prepared with? And also, how you felt the exam compared to revision material in each section? Thanks!! (Sorry for late reply)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it too late to apply for this cycle, considering I need to get a decent chunk of work experience? Could I say in my PS that I would be getting exp later on in the year? Also when some unis say they want a 'science subject' for your degree, does CS or Maths count?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending