The Student Room Group

BMW 3 series or Mini Cooper or Jaguar X type?

For guy aged early 20s!

my budget is 15k max. This would be our third car. No mercedes as old man's car. I play golf so the jaguar is acceptable.

Currently own - 7 series + Honda civic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates

For guy aged early 20s!

my budget is 15k max. This would be our third car. No mercedes as old man's car. I play golf so the jaguar is acceptable.

Currently own - 7 series + Honda civic

What Honda Civic do you have atm btw?

3 series would seem plausible?
Reply 2
Original post by James A
What Honda Civic do you have atm btw?

3 series would seem plausible?

i am swaying towards the BMW 3 series as the 7 has never let me down.

Type R Honda. But same time i've always wanted a mini for some reason and don't see myself getting one later in life?

Plus the Jag looks plush inside!
Jag = previous gen Ford Mondeo, no thanks.

MINI, it is a decent car but should look for a Cooper S or Cooper S JCW edition instead.

3 series, presumably due to budget constraints it would be an early model one, definitely starting to show its age.
Reply 4
Original post by Alfissti
Jag = previous gen Ford Mondeo, no thanks.

MINI, it is a decent car but should look for a Cooper S or Cooper S JCW edition instead.

3 series, presumably due to budget constraints it would be an early model one, definitely starting to show its age.

any other alternative other than the new A class? :tongue:

I usually drive my 7 series on the daily. Think the Honda was a mistake, might give it away.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you want a jaguar, get a proper one, like an XK. 15k should get you a decent one with average mileage.
As for a merc, check out the CLK, great driver, good line of engines, and that 15k would get you a last of the line 2009, get one with an AMG/sport pack and it'll be hard to beat :tongue:

The CLK350 would be a decent choice. Though I'd try find a 320cdi, they have some VERY strong poke.
You're going to look like a dick in all of them.
:hat2:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Especially the BMW
Polo
Reply 9

any other suggestions like?! :smile:
Original post by sailorben
If you want a jaguar, get a proper one, like an XK. 15k should get you a decent one with average mileage.
As for a merc, check out the CLK, great driver, good line of engines, and that 15k would get you a last of the line 2009, get one with an AMG/sport pack and it'll be hard to beat :tongue:

The CLK350 would be a decent choice. Though I'd try find a 320cdi, they have some VERY strong poke.

seems decent, although i'd rather sell my 7 series and get a better merc as my main car but don't fancy a merc atm.
Get a 330d coupe
Original post by Awesome Genius
Get a 330d coupe

was thinking the same
Reply 13
15 grand will buy you a lovely E46 shape M3, or, a low mileage XJR.
Original post by JC.
15 grand will buy you a lovely E46 shape M3, or, a low mileage XJR.

not a big fan of the E46. XJR looks decent

think i will buy a porsche. Thanks for your input!
Original post by Bill_Gates
seems decent, although i'd rather sell my 7 series and get a better merc as my main car but don't fancy a merc atm.

The only upgrade would be the S-class from the 7 series, otherwise forget it....uncle had to switch from the 7 series(started noticing a possible gearbox issue), went for an E-class and it seems definitely like a downgrade.

If you don't care about the space, etc why not look at the sirocco or tt for some fun.
You could get an F30 3 series with that budget.
Original post by Iqbal007
The only upgrade would be the S-class from the 7 series, otherwise forget it....uncle had to switch from the 7 series(started noticing a possible gearbox issue), went for an E-class and it seems definitely like a downgrade.

If you don't care about the space, etc why not look at the sirocco or tt for some fun.

had the tt before have driven my mates sirocco not the best tbh. Think it looks cool. But this is just an extra car i require, not my main.

exchanged the tt for the honda (bad move), my 7 series is mint.
Why would you want a 3-series as a 20 year old, its like a car made for 40 year old depressed family men.

You sir, want to pick up yourself a 420i (M-Sport of course!) :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest