The Student Room Group

is 7 UMS enough to be worth a remark?

I'm 7 UMS off an A in AQA Chemistry AS. Is it worth remarking all 3 units?(i'm 4, 1 and 2 UMS off in each of the 3 units)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I am getting two of my subjects remarked (1 mark off a B in one, 4 off a C in another) because I see no real risk in doing it. They refund you if your grade goes up, and it is really possible the grades will go up, if you think about how fast the examiners have to mark the papers, they're bound to slip up somewhere.
I heard AQA is having issues this year anyway, so a lot of people who used this board are submitting for remarks. :smile:
Original post by Nayzar
I'm 7 UMS off an A in AQA Chemistry AS. Is it worth remarking all 3 units?(i'm 4, 1 and 2 UMS off in each of the 3 units)

No, AQA AS Chemistry is objective and your mark is unlikely to change
Reply 3
Original post by AmyRB23
I am getting two of my subjects remarked (1 mark off a B in one, 4 off a C in another) because I see no real risk in doing it. They refund you if your grade goes up, and it is really possible the grades will go up, if you think about how fast the examiners have to mark the papers, they're bound to slip up somewhere.
I heard AQA is having issues this year anyway, so a lot of people who used this board are submitting for remarks. :smile:

What? They charge you? I was 4 ums points off an A in A level physics and all my teacher said was sign a piece of paper to have it remarked and wasnt charged a penny.
Reply 4
tbh it is quite expensive to remark 2 or 3 units. and ur right Eux about the sciences being objective
Reply 5
Original post by Nayzar

Depends how many raw marks 7 UMS converts to. If it converts to say 2 or 3 raw marks then it might be worth it. But if 7 UMS is like 5 or 6 raw marks then no it seems unlikely your mark will go up
Original post by Nayzar

7 UMS off of an A... so 3 off of going down to a C?
Reply 7
Original post by saeed97
What? They charge you? I was 4 ums points off an A in A level physics and all my teacher said was sign a piece of paper to have it remarked and wasnt charged a penny.

Yeah they charge you around £40 per remark :O Completely ridiculous if you're getting it remarked because THEY made a mistake, but oh well :/
Reply 8
Original post by AmyRB23
Yeah they charge you around £40 per remark :O Completely ridiculous if you're getting it remarked because THEY made a mistake, but oh well :/

Unlucky bro, i guess i was let off lightly aha.
Reply 9
Original post by Johann von Gauss
7 UMS off of an A... so 3 off of going down to a C?

no its 180 for a C and 240 for an A. I got 233 overall
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF
Reply 10
I wouldn't have all 3 remarked cause that means your grade could change completely
Reply 11
Original post by AmyRB23

you get all your money back if your grade goes up
Reply 12
Original post by Nayzar
you get all your money back if your grade goes up

I know you do, but I still find it strange that you have to pay for something that could be THEIR mistake, not yours.
Original post by AmyRB23
I know you do, but I still find it strange that you have to pay for something that could be THEIR mistake, not yours.

because they have to take more time out to remark which is long process, it could also deter some people from wanting to remark because it's a lot of money and that's the system :colonhash:
Reply 14
Original post by chickenfoot
because they have to take more time out to remark which is long process, it could also deter some people from wanting to remark because it's a lot of money and that's the system :colonhash:

Exactly amy plus It makes sure people only remark if they're sure their grade will go up otherwise AQA will get bombarded with pointless requests
Original post by Nayzar

I don't know how the refund works if you got all three remarked? Like you'd maybe only get one back? So you'd spend £120 and potencially get £40? I don't have a clue, but if you don't mind about the money then that doesn't matter haha
But my question is: why are you getting the remark/s? Because you're so close to the A? Or because you feel one of the exams was marked incorrectly?
I say this because I personally disagree with getting a remark just because you're X marks off the next grade. The boundry has to lie somewhere and it's just unlucky that you didn't quite achieve it :smile: If this is the case, my advice is just to really try next year to get the A. Because if you were aiming for it this year, instead of thinking damn I'm so close, think I've only got to get 1/2/4 ums over this year to get it :biggrin:
However if you feel perhaps all, or one of the exams you really thought went well and so were hoping for a bit higher, then maybe go for it :smile: I don't personally know about chemistry? is it like maths where it's highly unlikely to move? I'd say for chemistry there's a few questions that could be swayed isn't there?
like someone else said, see how many raw marks 7 ums would be on each exam and think whether that's something you feel could be gained? e.g in politics 8 ums this year =4/5 raw there's 4 questions therefore you'd just need to gain a mark a question to go up!
(edited 8 years ago)
Only remark if you really really think it will change. I remember I had an exam remarked last year following the insistence of my teacher, was only 3 ums (1-2 raw marks) off the grade above so I thought why not... It never changed.

Think about whether it will be worth it money-wise. If it doesn't change you'll just have wasted a lot of money for no reason. (I was lucky cause my school paid for mine)
Original post by Nayzar
no its 180 for a C and 240 for an A. I got 233 overall
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

Pfft Maths exams are always out of 100

Probably because most people who take it can't cope with anything else...
Original post by Nayzar

[scrollr]ur a batty boi[/scrollr]

Quick Reply

Latest