Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lizziec02
Hiya, I got 2 A*s, 4 A's, 3 B's and a C at GCSE
Just got my AS results, which were AAAA in History, English Literature, Business Studies and Drama. I am dropping drama when I go back.

I want to do history, but I know I've only got 2 facilitating subjects and with a university such as Durham I'm not sure where they stand on that? I go to a private school and its been drilled into us (so much in fact I think its affected people) that the best universities only want facilitating subjects. History was my highest A by 10 marks, and the others were on the lower end of A grade.
I've got a lot to put on my personal statement, but not sure its enough. Can anyone offer any thoughts? Thanks :smile:

This is not true! Durham have stated that it does help you have done a subject that you are applying however, it is not needed. Because you are doing History at A level and doing good you will be fine :biggrin: Hope that helped
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey. At GCSE I got 6A* 4A B. At AS I got 5As ( Maths, further maths, economics, german, physics, dropping physics). Want to apply to Economics with study abroad. What colleges do people want to apply to? I was, like everyone, wanting to apply to Castle, but am unsure as it is so oversubscribed. Maybe Hatfield or another Bailey college instead. Thoughts?
Original post by SamR2402
Hey. At GCSE I got 6A* 4A B. At AS I got 5As ( Maths, further maths, economics, german, physics, dropping physics). Want to apply to Economics with study abroad. What colleges do people want to apply to? I was, like everyone, wanting to apply to Castle, but am unsure as it is so oversubscribed. Maybe Hatfield or another Bailey college instead. Thoughts?

I still want to apply to castle and Hatfield is also my close second/alternative :smile: I'm also looking at St. Chad's college at the open day though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jill800
I still want to apply to castle and Hatfield is also my close second/alternative :smile: I'm also looking at St. Chad's college at the open day though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also looking at St. Chad's :biggrin: It looks really nice
Hi all thought I'd ask you lot for some advice

I want to do chemistry/natural sciences at uni with Durham as my second to Cambridge. With my grades (12A* 2A GCSE, 3As at AS and A* on whole maths AS & A2) it seemed I would be pretty likely to get an offer for straight chemistry, which Natsci sounded a lot more competitive than. I would prefer to do the Natsci course but also want to have Durham as a really firm first choice if Cambridge falls through, so was wondering if it would make sense to apply for both courses at Durham? Looking at Imperial and Edinburgh (second year entry) as other unis in the A*AA bracket but haven't visited these yet at their departments aren't rated as highly as Durham's
Reply 205
Want to do chemistry at Durham. Got 7 A*s, 3 A's and 2 B's (both in english :P) at GCSE. My AS results were A chemistry, A Physics, A biology and an A overall in AS/A2. Maths. Will be doing chemistry, physics and further maths at A2. Just wanted to know if I've got a chance of getting an offer or not?
Original post by drigger
Want to do chemistry at Durham. Got 7 A*s, 3 A's and 2 B's (both in english :P) at GCSE. My AS results were A chemistry, A Physics, A biology and an A overall in AS/A2. Maths. Will be doing chemistry, physics and further maths at A2. Just wanted to know if I've got a chance of getting an offer or not?

You have a very good chance as long as you're statement is good and you get the results with you're A2 then yes you stand a very good chance hope that helped :biggrin: What college are you thinking about?
Reply 207
Original post by Mrich454
You have a very good chance as long as you're statement is good and you get the results with you're A2 then yes you stand a very good chance hope that helped :biggrin: What college are you thinking about?

I've been set on university college for a while now, but also like the look of st. Mary's college.
Original post by drigger
I've been set on university college for a while now, but also like the look of st. Mary's college.

Oh, okay yeah I like them both to but I heard it's hard to get into them because so many people apply for them
Reply 209
Hi guys, anyone else applying for Physics and Astronomy, or just physics?

ASs were AAAAAC in Maths, Further, Physics, Chemistry, Critical Thinking and History. Damn you History :smile: and at GCSE: 7 A* 4A C

Any advice on colleges, or are they just generally the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 210
Oh, okay yeah I like them both to but I heard it's hard to get into them because so many people apply for them

Honestly I'd just be happy to get an offer! Was surprised that durham don't have an interview process.
Original post by drigger
Honestly I'd just be happy to get an offer! Was surprised that durham don't have an interview process.

That's the same with me all the colleges in Durham look nice so as long as I get in Durham I will be happy.
This is not true! Durham have stated that it does help you have done a subject that you are applying however, it is not needed. Because you are doing History at A level and doing good you will be fine :biggrin: Hope that helped

Sorry for taking a while to reply! Yes thank you so much, just given me the reassurance I need! What colleges are you looking at? I looking at Josephine Butler because I like the idea of being self catered as I'm vegetarian and don't eat a wide variety of food, this makes me sound like a nightmare :frown: but I'm not! I just prefer to cook my own things. Anyone else thinking of Josephine Butler or anyone who knows what it is like?
What colleges are you thinking about? Yes you do stand a very good chance however, you need to remember it's not just grades they look at it's you're personal statement as well :biggrin:

Oh thanks for that!

Yh im really keen on durham to but do you know what they require for lnat?
Sorry for taking a while to reply! Yes thank you so much, just given me the reassurance I need! What colleges are you looking at? I looking at Josephine Butler because I like the idea of being self catered as I'm vegetarian and don't eat a wide variety of food, this makes me sound like a nightmare :frown: but I'm not! I just prefer to cook my own things. Anyone else thinking of Josephine Butler or anyone who knows what it is like?

Yes I am interested in Josephine Butler's too! For the same reasons - I don't like the idea of having to eat food that I can't choose. Self-catering gives you much more independence. In Jo Bo you get en-suite bathrooms as well :smile:

When I went it seemed good. Looked like it had quite a busy student life with lots of societies being based there, a decent bar and common room. They don't have the formal dinners nearly as often, though they do happen on occasion (and are set up in the sports hall).

There is also a gym, membership is incredibly cheap - something like £3 a month. Maybe even less. And if you're into music they have a nice little music room with soundproof walls. Durham in itself is supposed to be fantastic for music anyway, and you'll have access to the music department within the city.

Seeing as it is relatively new, it did strike me as a little bare. I mean, if you want pleasant scenery whilst walking around college it isn't ideal as trees are still growing and I saw some building work being done. However, they are trying to make it more eco-friendly and there's a lovely grassy mound. Apparently this is a great spot to sit if you want to see fireworks during Freshers' Week!

No problem :smile: I'm looking at St Johns and St Chads but really like University as well but so many people apply there so it's hard to get in :frown: I have friends who go Josephine Butler and they love it it's very friendly and a tight community so you get to know everyone and the staff there are really nice. However, there is a lot of work getting done so it's not the best at the moment. Just to also state even if you get into a catered college they have vegetarian options as well so don't just think if you got into a catered college it would be bad :smile:
Original post by elen90
Yes I am interested in Josephine Butler's too! For the same reasons - I don't like the idea of having to eat food that I can't choose. Self-catering gives you much more independence. In Jo Bo you get en-suite bathrooms as well :smile:

When I went it seemed good. Looked like it had quite a busy student life with lots of societies being based there, a decent bar and common room. They don't have the formal dinners nearly as often, though they do happen on occasion (and are set up in the sports hall).

There is also a gym, membership is incredibly cheap - something like £3 a month. Maybe even less. And if you're into music they have a nice little music room with soundproof walls. Durham in itself is supposed to be fantastic for music anyway, and you'll have access to the music department within the city.

Seeing as it is relatively new, it did strike me as a little bare. I mean, if you want pleasant scenery whilst walking around college it isn't ideal as trees are still growing and I saw some building work being done. However, they are trying to make it more eco-friendly and there's a lovely grassy mound. Apparently this is a great spot to sit if you want to see fireworks during Freshers' Week!

Thanks this has really helped! Woah didn't realise the gym was so cheap, and as a regular gym goer that's such a benefit!
Yeh I've heard a lot about the music in Durham and i'm quite into that sort of stuff.
With regards to the building work and it being relatively new I don't think that would be much of an issue for me. I'm more about the people who are there! Although if I can hear the constant sound of drilling from my room then that might get on my nerves a bit!!

Are you thinking of any other colleges? I was thinking about Cuth's Society as they do self catering but they are less formal and I quite like the idea of being somewhere more traditional. Although I read that one college has them twice a week? (I think I've read that right) That'd be too much, I don't think my stomach could handle 2 3 course meals every week!!!
Hello. Could anyone give me an approximation of my chances of interview in applying to Durham Medicine with the following:
- UKCAT 700 average
- As in Biology, Chemistry, ICT, Maths and Physics AS levels (average UMS of 90%)
- 8 A*s, 3 As and 2 Bs at GCSE
- Good amount of work experience and personal statementThank you very much.
No problem :smile: I'm looking at St Johns and St Chads but really like University as well but so many people apply there so it's hard to get in :frown: I have friends who go Josephine Butler and they love it it's very friendly and a tight community so you get to know everyone and the staff there are really nice. However, there is a lot of work getting done so it's not the best at the moment. Just to also state even if you get into a catered college they have vegetarian options as well so don't just think if you got into a catered college it would be bad :smile:

I know University looks so nice!!!
Thanks for the info about Butler, it's great to hear from people who have lived there. I'm glad its a good atmosphere!! Yeh I think I would be alright because I would be surrounded by a lively atmosphere but if it got too much then i'd probably just spend the day in the city or something.

Yeh I was looking into all the catered colleges and i'm not going to rule them out completely because they do look very nice. Gotta keep an open mind, that way if i got an offer and not accepted into Butler it won't be such a daunting prospect going to another college!!!

St John's and St Chad's are the smaller colleges aren't they? This may sound sill but how do they select college applications? Is it on a first come first served basis?

Thanks again this thread has been a lifesaver!!
GCSE -> 10A*'s 2A's

AS: (Bold taking to A2)
Maths - A
Further Maths - A
French - A
Physics - A
Classical Civilization - B
General Studies - A

Average of 87.7% UMS in subjects taking to A2

I want to apply for Maths (European Studies) which is A*AA, what do you think my chances would be? Especially considering if I want to resit a F.Maths module (I got 63/100 UMS) and possibly a French module (scraped an A so want to resit to be safe)

Quick Reply

Latest