The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester accommodation Hulme hall

Hi, in my first year i stayed in hulme hall specifically in houldsworth, so if anyone has any questions about the accommodation feel free to ask

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm staying in Greenwood next year and just wondered what a standard room looks like in Hulme Hall (never got a chance to look around before I got offered a room there)... do you have any pictures of your room? Thanks in advance for your help :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Hi jnightt, Thanks for providing help. Just today I got accomodation offer in Hulme Hall (HH.01.xx.xx) - Catered. I have couple of questions:
a) Do all blocks have WiFi ?.
b) How are the rooms like? Are they modren and comfortable ?
Thanks for your help.
Reply 3
Original post by TomYohan
Hi, I'm staying in Greenwood next year and just wondered what a standard room looks like in Hulme Hall (never got a chance to look around before I got offered a room there)... do you have any pictures of your room? Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

imag1326.jpg
Hi, sorry i only have a picture of what the hall way looks like in greenwood.
Hulme is made of separate building so greenwood is a different block, its quite a old block so the rooms are small and very different from the others. You would get an old wardrobe and sink, the actually quality of the room is not very good compared to the other blocks but its a very social building and its where people usually gather for pre drinks due to the large common room. Also the kitchen it really minimal, there is no oven just a portable hob, a fridge and a microwave. i know it doesn't sound very good but non of this would matter once you get there and meet you neighbours and course mates, you'll end up loving it.
Reply 4
Original post by indianadr
Hi jnightt, Thanks for providing help. Just today I got accomodation offer in Hulme Hall (HH.01.xx.xx) - Catered. I have couple of questions:
a) Do all blocks have WiFi ?.
b) How are the rooms like? Are they modren and comfortable ?
Thanks for your help.

You're in houldsworth!! its a really old block, it use to be a boarding school so the layout is very old, there a fireplace thats been boarded shut in each room. It has the biggest rooms in hulme, they've recently installed wifi which ok, the connection isn't very reliable due to the thick walls i think. the rooms get cold due to the size of them but its comfortable and they've tried to get the rooms as modern as they can. the hall way is very large and there is no common room and the kitchen its very small, they have "tea rooms" scattered everywhere which include a fridge and a microwave. Also due to the size of the place its not a very social block due to it having less people in the building than the other blocks. Here is a picture of my room and the hallway. Im on the ground flour btw while your room is on the first.
IMG_2013.JPG
Attachment not found
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, excellent. Thanks for the detailed reply. I asked accomodations team to put me in a refurb room. Lets see if they agree
Btw, are you still living in halls or moved out ?
Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by indianadr
Hi, excellent. Thanks for the detailed reply. I asked accomodations team to put me in a refurb room. Lets see if they agree
Btw, are you still living in halls or moved out ?
Thanks

I still live in halls but not in hulme, Im in fallowfield now
Reply 7
Original post by jknightt
I still live in halls but not in hulme, Im in fallowfield now

Hi , Thanks for the quick update. R u studying medicine ?

Regards
Reply 8
Haha you're welcome, no I'm studying optometry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi, in my first year i stayed in hulme hall specifically in houldsworth, so if anyone has any questions about the accommodation feel free to ask

Hi I've been offered a place at Hulme but Im not sure which block.. My room starts with BF so I assume Birley, is that a nice block? Also is there a laundry room in Hulme?
Thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by EllieLC
Hi I've been offered a place at Hulme but Im not sure which block.. My room starts with BF so I assume Birley, is that a nice block? Also is there a laundry room in Hulme?
Thank you!

hi, yah Birley is a really nice block, i think its the newest building, the kitchen there is by far the nicest in hulme. Yah there are a few laundry rooms in hulme, I'm not sure if you have one in your building you may have to use the one in the other blocks. but don't worry all the buildings are close together so you don't have to walk to far.
Reply 11
Original post by TomYohan

Hey, I'm in Hulme next year too, how do you know what block you are in though, the first two letters of my room number are GD, does this mean i'm in greenwood? :smile:
Reply 12
Yah GD means greenwood, the first two letters show which block your going to live in, once you get there someone will show you to your room

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yah GD means greenwood, the first two letters show which block your going to live in, once you get there someone will show you to your room

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright cheers :smile:

Is Greenwood a good block?
Reply 14
Greenwood isn't the nicest but it's definetly the most fun, also it has its own laundry room which makes life a lot easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you think Oaklands has good internet connection? oh and what's the storage space like in the room, do you just get a closet and a drawer with the study table or is there anything else? thanks :smile:
Reply 16
The Internet connection is probably the same in all the blocks. In terms of storage it really depends which block your in, in oaklands you get loads, there's a set of drawers, wardrobe and a study table. While in greenwood you will only get a wardrobe and a desk. In terms of space, houldsworth rooms have the most space as it has a bookshelf as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi so I got Manchester through clearing and I've yet to even apply for accommodation yet. I'm hoping to get a self-catered en suite room. Likelihood of getting the hall of my choice?

I know that there are four of these kinds of halls, Burkhardt Hall, Canterbury Court, Victoria Hall and Opal Gardens on the campus. I suppose I should avoid Victoria Hall since that is in high demand. What are these halls like?
Original post by TheFuture001
Hi so I got Manchester through clearing and I've yet to even apply for accommodation yet. I'm hoping to get a self-catered en suite room. Likelihood of getting the hall of my choice?

I know that there are four of these kinds of halls, Burkhardt Hall, Canterbury Court, Victoria Hall and Opal Gardens on the campus. I suppose I should avoid Victoria Hall since that is in high demand. What are these halls like?

There are only four self-catered, ensuite halls on the Victoria Park campus but there's also another four on the other two campuses. Is there a reason you're only considering Victoria Park?

Most people want self-catered and ensuite, which will affect your chances. It might be worth compromising in one of these respects for at least one of your choices, otherwise you risk getting allocated a completely different hall to the ones you picked.

Read the Accommodation FAQ, it has descriptions of all the halls and should help you decide.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
There are only four self-catered, ensuite halls on the Victoria Park campus but there's also another four on the other two campuses. Is there a reason you're only considering Victoria Park?

Most people want self-catered and ensuite, which will affect your chances. It might be worth compromising in one of these respects for at least one of your choices, otherwise you risk getting allocated a completely different hall to the ones you picked.

Read the Accommodation FAQ, it has descriptions of all the halls and should help you decide.

Well I just decided that I liked the proximity of Victoria Hall, not too far, not right in the centre, as well as it's green spaces. I haven't had much to really look into what the campuses are like tbh, I suppose if I didn't mind how far it is from the centre I'd like Fallowfields.

I suppose so. I guess sacrifice the ensuite, maybe. I do take awhile in the bathroom, so my own personal space would be preferable.

Am kind of wanting a personal view of these halls, have looked at the faq already, it only gives an okay description of Burkhardt whilst the rest simply have those picture unavailable icons.

I'm guessing you are/were a student at UoM. Where did you stay and what is/was it like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending