The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Mathematics Courses at Durham University 2015-2016 (Year 1)

Poll

Which Mathematics module are you most looking forward too?

This is the thread for all students who are going to study one or modules from the Mathematics department at Durham in 2015-2016.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Might want to remove the last three, they aren't for mathmos.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Might want to remove the last three, they aren't for mathmos.

They are classed as Mathematics modules though mainly studied by those doing Physics I am forced to put them on there to increase the amount of people coming to this thread, as not many people on TSR are going to Durham nevermind Durham for Maths so increasing it to the amount of people studying Maths modules should increase the popularity of this thread.I also want to find out what maths people are doing from science courses and I believe there is a lot of crossover between those modules and the ones the Mathmos do but they do the harder Maths I think so people will be able to help each other whether they are doing Maths,Physics or another subject.
Hey :smile: I'll be studying maths as a part of Natural Sciences. Will be great to be able to get help here from people who can actually do maths haha. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by cerlohee
Hey :smile: I'll be studying maths as a part of Natural Sciences. Will be great to be able to get help here from people who can actually do maths haha. :smile:

What Maths modules are you planning on doing?(please vote on the poll also)What other modules will you be taking?I may be doing Foundations of Physics for my optional module if I do then the course I would be taking would potentially be identical to someone doing Natural Science(Maths and Physics) but doing Maths will give me the freedom to do some more Maths instead like Statistics but probably not Discrete as it doesn't look great.

The problem I have is I want to do Statistics and Foundations of Physics but that would be too many credits so it would have to be Statistics and Astronomy or Foundation of Physics and I am not sure which one to pick, I really need to see the past papers for all the courses before I decide I may even decide to do Discrete to do all Maths but I have to do more coursework which is putting me off and it doesn't sound exciting.
pro tip: doesn't matter how much work you do for your dynamics exam, you still won't be able to do any of the questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by onimusha370
pro tip: doesn't matter how much work you do for your dynamics exam, you still won't be able to do any of the questions :smile:

Is the Dynamics that bad?What is the Programming like as I haven't done much of that?I'm really worried about the compulsory computer work for the module and I thought Dynamics looked alright.What mark did you get for the whole unit?What optional units did you study and why?
Original post by Dalek1099
What Maths modules are you planning on doing?(please vote on the poll also)What other modules will you be taking?I may be doing Foundations of Physics for my optional module if I do then the course I would be taking would potentially be identical to someone doing Natural Science(Maths and Physics) but doing Maths will give me the freedom to do some more Maths instead like Statistics but probably not Discrete as it doesn't look great.

The problem I have is I want to do Statistics and Foundations of Physics but that would be too many credits so it would have to be Statistics and Astronomy or Foundation of Physics and I am not sure which one to pick, I really need to see the past papers for all the courses before I decide I may even decide to do Discrete to do all Maths but I have to do more coursework which is putting me off and it doesn't sound exciting.

if you have any questions on Calculus/Prob, Lin Alg, or Foundation 1 I will be happy to answer.

Also I think you are a little optimistic trying to do past papers before you have even started the course!
Reply 8
if you have any questions on Calculus/Prob, Lin Alg, or Foundation 1 I will be happy to answer.

Also I think you are a little optimistic trying to do past papers before you have even started the course!

I am not trying to do past papers I need the past papers to show me what the course is like I need to know how mathematical these units are and how tough the mathematics is.How mathematical is Foundation 1?
(edited 8 years ago)
I am not trying to do past papers I need the past papers to show me what the course is like I need to know how mathematical these units are and how tough the mathematics is.How mathematical is Foundation 1?

You can find past papers in the library tab on DUO.

Obviously a physics module is going to be mathematical, the biggest thing you will notice is that basically every part of the course makes full use of calculus (in A level you would have go through your entire physics course without seeing a single integral) however do not expect the mathematical rigour that you will get in the maths modules. Physics is hard, not because of the maths, but because of knowing how to approach/ setup a problem.
Reply 10
You can find past papers in the library tab on DUO.

Obviously a physics module is going to be mathematical, the biggest thing you will notice is that basically every part of the course makes full use of calculus (in A level you would have go through your entire physics course without seeing a single integral) however do not expect the mathematical rigour that you will get in the maths modules. Physics is hard, not because of the maths, but because of knowing how to approach/ setup a problem.

Would it be a good module for a Mathematician, as Statistics seems to repeat a lot of Probability from Calculus and Probability/A Level(I did S1-S4) and seems too basic and discrete looks very boring and horrible and you have to do a presentation.I could do Statistics and Astronomy but I am thinking of Foundations of Physics.
Would it be a good module for a Mathematician, as Statistics seems to repeat a lot of Probability from Calculus and Probability/A Level(I did S1-S4) and seems too basic and discrete looks very boring and horrible and you have to do a presentation.I could do Statistics and Astronomy but I am thinking of Foundations of Physics.

I really can't tell you anything about statistics or astronomy, I can tell you about foundations. One major plus of doing foundations is that in theory you have a chance of transferring to do physics on the off chance you want to.
Is the Dynamics that bad?What is the Programming like as I haven't done much of that?I'm really worried about the compulsory computer work for the module and I thought Dynamics looked alright.What mark did you get for the whole unit?What optional units did you study and why?

Course is alright, exam is hard.
Didn't do programming, they only started doing that last year...
Got low 70's in dynamics. Did discrete and stats as optionals, stats was easy, discrete was hard.
Having your notes in the stats exam helps quite a lot...
Reply 13
I really can't tell you anything about statistics or astronomy, I can tell you about foundations. One major plus of doing foundations is that in theory you have a chance of transferring to do physics on the off chance you want to.

I think you have to do Discovery Skills to do that I think?but I would be able to transfer to Maths with Physics.I don't really think I would would want to transfer to 100% Physics after the first year anyway as you would miss out on the best Maths modules what is attractive about Physics in the first year(if I decided to change course) is that they do the main Maths modules if you choose Analysis as your last module and still do Physics.I am not sure at the moment whether it could be worth switching from Maths to Maths with Physics/Physics to do Discovery Skills instead of Programming and Dynamics.
Which module do people think is the most difficult maths module?

Pretty sure the Astronomy module is well received. Almost all the physics lecturers are astro based and Durham's leading for astrophysics. All the lectures/lecturers I've had in any astro modules have been pretty amazing (and been my favorite modules).
Reply 16
Original post by TunaTunnel
Pretty sure the Astronomy module is well received. Almost all the physics lecturers are astro based and Durham's leading for astrophysics. All the lectures/lecturers I've had in any astro modules have been pretty amazing (and been my favorite modules).

I have chosen Foundations of Physics(I need it to be approved during Induction week).I thought Astronomy looked very good but I didn't want to do either Statistics or Discrete and didn't want to do any other 20 credit module and if you don't do Foundations then you won't be able to do any Physics after Year 1 but doing it leaves me open to the option of switching to Maths and Physics(as part of Natural Science)/Maths and Physics modules in Natural Science.

Also, I think Foundations of Physics is much more mathematical than Astronomy as indicated by the requirements of the module(only an AS in Maths is needed for Astronomy I think).Foundations will crossover well with Programming and Dynamics and prepare me better for Mathematical Physics options in later years(those modules look to be the most appealing to me).
I have chosen Foundations of Physics(I need it to be approved during Induction week).I thought Astronomy looked very good but I didn't want to do either Statistics or Discrete and didn't want to do any other 20 credit module and if you don't do Foundations then you won't be able to do any Physics after Year 1 but doing it leaves me open to the option of switching to Maths and Physics(as part of Natural Science)/Maths and Physics modules in Natural Science.

Also, I think Foundations of Physics is much more mathematical than Astronomy as indicated by the requirements of the module(only an AS in Maths is needed for Astronomy I think).Foundations will crossover well with Programming and Dynamics and prepare me better for Mathematical Physics options in later years(those modules look to be the most appealing to me).

Sounds about right. I would warn you, Foundations has A LOT of content. Afaik its a merged module so you have a double exam. When I sat it I had 2x 3 hour exams, you will have a 4 hours exam with half an hour break.
Reply 18
Original post by TunaTunnel
Sounds about right. I would warn you, Foundations has A LOT of content. Afaik its a merged module so you have a double exam. When I sat it I had 2x 3 hour exams, you will have a 4 hours exam with half an hour break.

Yes it is a double module so other people would take 2 other modules so its not that bad and there is crossover between Foundations of Physics and Programming and Dynamics.I didn't know about a 4 hour exam it says on the website that its 2x3 hour exams and that they are changing the 2nd paper this year.I would prefer 1 4 hour exam to 2x3 hour exams it means 2 hours less of examination.Do you know anything about Quantum Info(apparently its a Level 3 module but I can't find any information on it to know whether to consider taking it in Year 3).
Yes it is a double module so other people would take 2 other modules so its not that bad and there is crossover between Foundations of Physics and Programming and Dynamics.I didn't know about a 4 hour exam it says on the website that its 2x3 hour exams and that they are changing the 2nd paper this year.I would prefer 1 4 hour exam to 2x3 hour exams it means 2 hours less of examination.Do you know anything about Quantum Info(apparently its a Level 3 module but I can't find any information on it to know whether to consider taking it in Year 3).

Quantum info? The 3rd year physics modules are 3A and theoretical physics 3. The closest thing you describe is atoms, qubits and lasers which has elements of quantum computing but thats a masters year module (i'm taking).

Quick Reply

Latest