The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by draculina
Is this edexcel? That's exactly the pattern my results have! It didn't cost you your place did it?

Original post by cp1996
Yep :/

Unit 1: A
Unit 2: A
Unit 3: A(*)
Unit 4: U

Hmm...

Please tell me you guys are getting remarks!

Original post by JamesJL
I have so much reading to do now, what have you decided to read? I thought I'd tackle medieval literature now, although I'm not sure whether to just read translations (thoughts?)

I've been reading pretty eclectically, I'm currently on Canterbury Tales and Pale Fire. Pick up a really good translation of the Canterbury Tales, they're great! (Mine is the Oxford World's Classics one translated by David Wright).
Original post by paradoxicalme
Please tell me you guys are getting remarks!

Of course :biggrin:
Is anyone studying in preparation? I feel like I should read some books and finish some maths units but I just cannot bring myself to move
Original post by EHZ17
Is anyone studying in preparation? I feel like I should read some books and finish some maths units but I just cannot bring myself to move

Not my thread but I feel the same! I already feel like I've forgotten all the maths but I really can not face looking back at A Level Maths again yet.
Original post by EHZ17

I'm going to revise core maths and further maths modules, and I'm reading up on some micro and macro stuff (just to try to make week 1 a little easier). Just doing the econ reading for interest really. I don't know whether we're meant to do a lot or very little though. Will probably do most of my revision in September, when I feel a bit more motivated and less lazy :wink:
Original post by Plagioclase
Not my thread but I feel the same! I already feel like I've forgotten all the maths but I really can not face looking back at A Level Maths again yet.

Lol I've got someone who keeps asking me questions over summer about c3 and c4 who's a year behind me - makes for great revision :wink:
Original post by stardude8
I'm going to revise core maths and further maths modules, and I'm reading up on some micro and macro stuff (just to try to make week 1 a little easier). Just doing the econ reading for interest really. I don't know whether we're meant to do a lot or very little though. Will probably do most of my revision in September, when I feel a bit more motivated and less lazy :wink:

I think the core and econ theory has stuck with me. If I have to work I will try and smash S3 and S4 in like a week or so, otherwise I'll try and read like 3 books on the general reading list - all of which I doubt will be of any use haha
Original post by EHZ17
I think the core and econ theory has stuck with me. If I have to work I will try and smash S3 and S4 in like a week or so, otherwise I'll try and read like 3 books on the general reading list - all of which I doubt will be of any use haha

Sounds good - s3 and s4 are both quite short too so you'll be fine with those. Do you know if any of fp2/3 is useful to revise?

Hard for us to know how to prepare - hopefully something I read will be slightly useful :smile:
Sounds good - s3 and s4 are both quite short too so you'll be fine with those. Do you know if any of fp2/3 is useful to revise?

Hard for us to know how to prepare - hopefully something I read will be slightly useful :smile:

I know the calc stuff, expansions and matrices are useful. Started doing the matrices a month ago, got bored and have forgotten it :/

What are you reading? I've read some markets books which are slightly irrelevant to the course but in the main I've got like 3 unread economists to catch up on!
Original post by EHZ17
I know the calc stuff, expansions and matrices are useful. Started doing the matrices a month ago, got bored and have forgotten it :/

What are you reading? I've read some markets books which are slightly irrelevant to the course but in the main I've got like 3 unread economists to catch up on!

I'll look at matrices then, see what that's about, thanks :smile:

I'm reading Piketty's Capital in the 21st century, but my copy's in french so I haven't got very far. Have also started reading Hayek's Road to Serfdom for a different take on everything. Hopefully I can get one or two of the main course textbooks beforehand and start flicking through them. Btw you think 3 unread economists is bad - my pile of unread economists would out yours to shame haha.
I'll look at matrices then, see what that's about, thanks :smile:

I'm reading Piketty's Capital in the 21st century, but my copy's in french so I haven't got very far. Have also started reading Hayek's Road to Serfdom for a different take on everything. Hopefully I can get one or two of the main course textbooks beforehand and start flicking through them. Btw you think 3 unread economists is bad - my pile of unread economists would out yours to shame haha.

I slapped a piketty reference into my macro exam essay aha I've heard that the book is loaded with falsities and errors tho, I've only read reviews and summaries

I read an IEA shortened copy of road to serfdom a while ago :P and yeah, economists pile up pretty quickly! I get annoyed at how much I skip sometimes

What college are you going to?

Do you want my economic reviews (I've got like 6 in mint condition, unread :tongue:)?
Original post by EHZ17
I slapped a piketty reference into my macro exam essay aha I've heard that the book is loaded with falsities and errors tho, I've only read reviews and summaries

I read an IEA shortened copy of road to serfdom a while ago :P and yeah, economists pile up pretty quickly! I get annoyed at how much I skip sometimes

What college are you going to?

Shortened copies sound like a godsend, I need those man :wink:

Selwyn :smile: - I think I've forgotten yours, remind me again?
Original post by Gome44
Do you want my economic reviews (I've got like 6 in mint condition, unread :tongue:)?

Got more than enough of them, thanks (6 is nothing :/)
Shortened copies sound like a godsend, I need those man :wink:

Selwyn :smile: - I think I've forgotten yours, remind me again?

Yeah, reading ideological works can be extremely tedious!

And it's Emmanuel :smile:
Original post by EHZ17
Yeah, reading ideological works can be extremely tedious!

And it's Emmanuel :smile:

Congrats :smile: - and don't work too hard over summer because you'll make us all(including me) look bad :wink:
Congrats :smile: - and don't work too hard over summer because you'll make us all(including me) look bad :wink:

You just slapped me on fifa and I'm div 1, who would have thought it aye
Original post by EHZ17
You just slapped me on fifa and I'm div 1, who would have thought it aye

Manchester United > Chelsea, am I right?
Manchester United > Chelsea, am I right?

Ahh I wouldnt go that far..
Original post by aprocrastinator
See, this convinces me that they definitely botched the marking in some of the papers! I got full UMS in my biology exams last year and I think I was one of the only ones to do so at my school and now I've got a B equivalent at A2? And I'm sure you have a similar story. I may get the script back if my remark comes out unsatisfactory and perhaps appeal again. Have you checked the official mark schemes? I can link you to them if you'd like. I checked the Unit 5 one and it seems (from what I vaguely remember) that the points are the same as what I put. I also checked the essay scheme and I got 4/5 topics so in theory, my mark couldn't have been that bad! Anyway, good luck for your remark, I'm hoping it's successful! (I'm remarking too haha)

Of course you can ask :wink: I'm going to Downing! I visited Sidney and I really liked it, considered applying there! Yeah, that really sucked for you, until they let you in of course :biggrin: Fortunately Downing didn't specify which I'm happy about but quite surprised considering I didn't think I was a strong candidate :tongue:

Yeah pretty much the same! I haven't checked the markschemes but my teachers have them and they're going to mark it themselves to see whether I just had a bad day etc.

Ooh Downing's great, the looks are one of the very best! I think this was the first year Sidney have specified so quite a few of the 10 offer holders missed their offer by not getting 3 A*s, so there were a good few places in the summer pool which helped a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending