The Student Room Group

Eating After Post Workout - How Important?

Hello,
I want to ask the question of how important it is to eat post workout.

I arrived at the gym and did an hour of various chest and back workouts. My workout was cut short by an hour as my my mum told me to go shopping with her which took two hours!

When I came home, I carb-loaded straight away but I'm worried I lost muscle mass because I ate two hours after the end of my workout. I was told that the body takes the protein away from the body before the fat when you don't eat.

Please advise as in worried I lost muscle mass due to eating two hours later than post workout.

I'm 15 and trying to lose fat and gain muscle. Also been going to the gym 4 times a week for 4 weeks so far.

This question may seem ambiguous or incomprehensible. If so, please tell me and I will try to make it clearer.

Many thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

its useless and makes no difference
same with meal timing
just hit the required calories and protein requriements daily, doesnt matter when you eat

you wont lose muscle after a gym session, if your running a marathon you would but lifting is far less hard on the body
carb loading is also irrelevant, glycogen stores stay intact from the previous nights sleep
So why am I told to eat past and post workout? I was told due to the calorie deficit, the body takes the protein from my muscles to make up for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The1AndOnly1
So why am I told to eat past and post workout? I was told due to the calorie deficit, the body takes the protein from my muscles to make up for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's optimal but you won't lose muscle from 1 day sub optimal
Original post by ChrisHarris1
It's optimal but you won't lose muscle from 1 day sub optimal

Is it noticeable? Or will it change how much weight I use

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The supposed optimal amount of protein to eat soon after a workout is 20g protein (as well as a small amount of carbs to restore lost glycogen levels). Lots of supplements will tell you that needs to be consumed within 30mins for it to be optimal, but the actual window is probably any time within a few hours to stimulate optimum protein synthesis. So you have nothing to worry about! In terms of calories, a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day you consume it.
I arrived at the gym and did an hour of various chest and back workouts. My workout was cut short by an hour

So you normally take two hours?? Show us your program mate, I think you might need pointing in the right direction there.
really imp.
Original post by WoodyMKC
So you normally take two hours?? Show us your program mate, I think you might need pointing in the right direction there.

😂😂😂 I'm a beginner

I do various machines at 5 sets
I also do half hour cardio
So In terms of muscle workout it's actually 1 and a half

But I was asking if I will lose muscle due to not eating post workout.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomifyy
The supposed optimal amount of protein to eat soon after a workout is 20g protein (as well as a small amount of carbs to restore lost glycogen levels). Lots of supplements will tell you that needs to be consumed within 30mins for it to be optimal, but the actual window is probably any time within a few hours to stimulate optimum protein synthesis. So you have nothing to worry about! In terms of calories, a calorie is a calorie no matter what time of the day you consume it.

Ok thanks, that was the info I needed. Looks like I'm Ok then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you're way overthinking this, just make sure you get your required calories/macros by the end of the day, when you eat doesn't make any significant difference
😂😂😂 I'm a beginner

Posted from TSR Mobile

All that fussing on the intricacies of diet, and yet from what you've told us about your workout program it sounds like you don't know your arse from your elbow in terms of training mate. Happy to give advice if you want it but thought I'd ask first so I don't waste either of our time :wink:
Keep it simple

hit your daily macro targets. That is all you need to do. Don't overcomplicate things. I train IF 16hr fast, 8 hour feed, doesn't affect me and I train halfway through my fast so can't do this 'optimal feeding time'. It hasn't caused any negative effects for me.
Original post by jimbles
Keep it simple

hit your daily macro targets. That is all you need to do. Don't overcomplicate things. I train IF 16hr fast, 8 hour feed, doesn't affect me and I train halfway through my fast so can't do this 'optimal feeding time'. It hasn't caused any negative effects for me.

Daily macro targets? What's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daily macro targets? What's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Carbs, Protein and Fats. Those are your macros.
Have a meal with a few hours of finishing your workout.

Meet your daily macros.

If none of this makes sense, read the FAQ

Posted from TSR Mobile
😂😂😂 I'm a beginner

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you will not.

Also you should get yourself on a proper beginners workout programme. There are plenty, look up "ICF 5x5" that is imo one of the best.
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you were a pro body builder then it would make sense, but for amateurs it's going to make little difference.

That being said, I'm always starving after a workout so I pack a banana, a few eggs and a protein shake to munch on the way home.
Reply 18
After a workout I'll always eat due to having low blood-sugar afterwards - I like to do 5-mile runs regularly. As for lifting days, I drink a protein shake afterwards, but I tend to think this is more a part of the gym-ritual than something you must do straight after lifting.
Original post by VannR
After a workout I'll always eat due to having low blood-sugar afterwards - I like to do 5-mile runs regularly. As for lifting days, I drink a protein shake afterwards, but I tend to think this is more a part of the gym-ritual than something you must do straight after lifting.

Should beginners be using protein shakes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest