The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

University Hall Cardiff, Coachmans

Anyone in Coachmans halls of residence at Cardiff? I'm on the 2nd floor, flat 6 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Staying in D, pretty pissed off to be honest. It is miles away from the uni and miles away from town - about an hours walk.

Really regretting not going into adjustment right now.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by cacra
Staying in D, pretty pissed off to be honest. It is miles away from the uni and miles away from town - about an hours walk.

Really regretting not going into adjustment right now.

Yeah I was annoyed I didn't get my top choice accomodation which is much closer to the main campus.
Reply 3
Original post by pearcy97
Yeah I was annoyed I didn't get my top choice accomodation which is much closer to the main campus.

Uni Halls was my tenth choice!
Reply 4
Original post by cacra
Uni Halls was my tenth choice!

Ahh man that's rubbish!
It was my 5th I'm in tower!
Reply 6
University Hall House D2 (Dwyfor) Second Floor Flat 6 Room 2. It was also my 8 or 9 th choice!
Would really love to find out who's staying in tower or even whose on the fifth floor maybe flat 5? 😜
Reply 8
As someone who stayed at Uni Halls last year I'd advise you experience it before you knock it. Give it a few weeks and you'll end up enjoying it.
Reply 9
Original post by stefftaff
University Hall House D2 (Dwyfor) Second Floor Flat 6 Room 2. It was also my 8 or 9 th choice!

Im in Dwyfor as well, have you seen what the building looks like? Coulsnt find any on the internet.
Reply 10
Original post by LastWord
As someone who stayed at Uni Halls last year I'd advise you experience it before you knock it. Give it a few weeks and you'll end up enjoying it.

Miles away from the university though and eveb further from the business school!

What time does the free bus run until? I guess taxis into town are going to add up?

Also, where is the nearest gym/supermarker? And what are the best takeaways nearby. (sorry for all the questions...)
Reply 11
Original post by cacra
Miles away from the university though and eveb further from the business school!

What time does the free bus run until? I guess taxis into town are going to add up?

Also, where is the nearest gym/supermarker? And what are the best takeaways nearby. (sorry for all the questions...)

Don't worry about it. If you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'll answer what I can.

I don't blame you for being annoyed at Uni Halls' location. At the beginning of the first term it was really frustrating for myself and my flat mates. However, after a few weeks you get used to it. It helps that every other Uni Halls student is in the same boat.

The bus system runs from around 8am until 5:30pm. You'll be able to rely on the bus to get you to your lectures & tutorials/seminars without issue. I wouldn't worry about taxis too much. Most people only use taxis on nights out. Even then, when taxis are used on nights out it usually costs around £1.50/£2 per trip as you're likely to be travelling with a number of people.

I'm not really into the gym, but as far as I can remember there's a small gym at the Heath campus which you can use. The walk to the Heath campus will take you about 15 minutes. You could also use the gym at Taly (I think there's one there) which is about 20/25min walk away - I wouldn't take my word for gospel in regarding gyms as I'm not 100% sure.

In terms of supermarkets most people tend to do their shopping around the Albany road area. It takes around 20 minutes to get there. If you're lucky enough one of your flat mates will have a car! As far as takeaways, there aren't that many around the Uni Halls area.

Hope this helps.

Most of the people I know who stayed at Uni Halls hated it for the first week or so (mainly due to the location). By the the time mid-October came around most people loved it. You end up building a community. Nothing beats a massive pre-drinks in another flats kitchen before a night out in town.
Reply 12
Uni halls was my 5th choice too! Anyone else in tower? Floor 4, flat 4
I'm in tower fifth floor flat 5
Reply 14
Don't worry about it. If you've got any questions feel free to ask. I'll answer what I can.

I don't blame you for being annoyed at Uni Halls' location. At the beginning of the first term it was really frustrating for myself and my flat mates. However, after a few weeks you get used to it. It helps that every other Uni Halls student is in the same boat.

The bus system runs from around 8am until 5:30pm. You'll be able to rely on the bus to get you to your lectures & tutorials/seminars without issue. I wouldn't worry about taxis too much. Most people only use taxis on nights out. Even then, when taxis are used on nights out it usually costs around £1.50/£2 per trip as you're likely to be travelling with a number of people.

I'm not really into the gym, but as far as I can remember there's a small gym at the Heath campus which you can use. The walk to the Heath campus will take you about 15 minutes. You could also use the gym at Taly (I think there's one there) which is about 20/25min walk away - I wouldn't take my word for gospel in regarding gyms as I'm not 100% sure.

In terms of supermarkets most people tend to do their shopping around the Albany road area. It takes around 20 minutes to get there. If you're lucky enough one of your flat mates will have a car! As far as takeaways, there aren't that many around the Uni Halls area.

Hope this helps.

Most of the people I know who stayed at Uni Halls hated it for the first week or so (mainly due to the location). By the the time mid-October came around most people loved it. You end up building a community. Nothing beats a massive pre-drinks in another flats kitchen before a night out in town.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So really if you had a choice between uni halls and Talybont south you wouldn't move?
Reply 15
Original post by cacra
Posted from TSR Mobile

So really if you had a choice between uni halls and Talybont south you wouldn't move?

If you had asked me that question at the start of the first term last year I would have picked Taly South. However, having stayed at Uni Halls for all of last year, I can honestly say that I enjoyed 95% of my time there! The only real disadvantage Uni Halls has is its distance from the university. Give it about 2/3 weeks you'll get over it as you'll start to get the hang of using the Uni Halls bus & getting taxis out together with your flat mates & other people you meet at halls.

My advice, give Uni Halls a try. Give it about a month or 2 and see how you feel. If you truly hate it (which I highly doubt you will as staying at halls & meeting new friends gives you a reason overcome any negatives) you can always apply to swap halls.
Anyone in D1 second floor flat 5?
Original post by sophieshep
Anyone in D1 second floor flat 5?

Yeah, I'm in flat four.

You getting one of those wristbands?
If you had asked me that question at the start of the first term last year I would have picked Taly South. However, having stayed at Uni Halls for all of last year, I can honestly say that I enjoyed 95% of my time there! The only real disadvantage Uni Halls has is its distance from the university. Give it about 2/3 weeks you'll get over it as you'll start to get the hang of using the Uni Halls bus & getting taxis out together with your flat mates & other people you meet at halls.

My advice, give Uni Halls a try. Give it about a month or 2 and see how you feel. If you truly hate it (which I highly doubt you will as staying at halls & meeting new friends gives you a reason overcome any negatives) you can always apply to swap halls.

I was pretty pissed when I got my allocation, you have to admit it looks pretty crappy. I emailed Cardiff about it and they said that the facilities have all been upgraded recently which is good.

Plus there is a gym relatively close by, open 24 hours and is only £9.99 so I'm happy!

Is there a Lidl/Aldi nearby or is it just Tesco? Also, not specific to Cardiff but what do you do about your GP? DO you just go into a surgery and request to change?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rolodopus
Yeah, I'm in flat four.

You getting one of those wristbands?

Nice, not sure which ones to get! was gonna try find more people in my flat and see what they're doing! what are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending