The Student Room Group

Considering Gap Year then Applying REALLY NEED YOUR HELP

I just got my AS grades and i've done poor with BCCD (Maths, Biology, Psychology, Chemistry) respectively.

I am very keen still to become a doctor as I have been working all summer on the UKCAT and my test is booked for 5th Sept. Bare in mind, I have been completing mocks for the UKCAT and my practice shows consistent scores of around 670+ so far. With 3 weeks to go fortunately, I will work even harder to push it to a 750 which I believe Is entirely possible.

I understand that the 5 year programme is almost null chance for me now due to my poor grades however if any advice can be given I will be very grateful as I understand that there is many others in a similar situation.

The option that seems most realistic for me is to retake the estimated 6 extra modules that i had completely wrecked this year along with my A2 grades and work hard to attain the AAA at the end of A2 that I believe I deserve. However, in this process I understand that if I apply this year I will be rejected straight away to poor grades and my A2 predictions will only be possibly as good as ABB. Thus, I have thought carefully that perhaps taking a Gap Year would be appropiate?

So the vision is that, at the end of A2 I am hoping to have AAA with a ukcat score of around 730-750 and being a Gap Year student, along with attaining high quality experience during my Gap Year, Would I be a strong candidate to apply for medical school?

Thank you for reading, I know its a lot but i will appreciate it a lot.
Original post by Chowoski
I just got my AS grades and i've done poor with BCCD (Maths, Biology, Psychology, Chemistry) respectively.

I am very keen still to become a doctor as I have been working all summer on the UKCAT and my test is booked for 5th Sept. Bare in mind, I have been completing mocks for the UKCAT and my practice shows consistent scores of around 670+ so far. With 3 weeks to go fortunately, I will work even harder to push it to a 750 which I believe Is entirely possible.

I understand that the 5 year programme is almost null chance for me now due to my poor grades however if any advice can be given I will be very grateful as I understand that there is many others in a similar situation.

The option that seems most realistic for me is to retake the estimated 6 extra modules that i had completely wrecked this year along with my A2 grades and work hard to attain the AAA at the end of A2 that I believe I deserve. However, in this process I understand that if I apply this year I will be rejected straight away to poor grades and my A2 predictions will only be possibly as good as ABB. Thus, I have thought carefully that perhaps taking a Gap Year would be appropiate?

So the vision is that, at the end of A2 I am hoping to have AAA with a ukcat score of around 730-750 and being a Gap Year student, along with attaining high quality experience during my Gap Year, Would I be a strong candidate to apply for medical school?

You're probably right not to apply this year. Focus on getting AAA next year and then go from there. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
You're probably right not to apply this year. Focus on getting AAA next year and then go from there. Good luck.

Thanks for your help :smile:
Thanks for your help :smile:

I am in a similar position to you. I got BCCC (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics, respectively). Our school doesn't have fundings to allow students retake or repeat year 12, so I am thinking of going to a private school where I will repeat year 12. I also applied for medicine in Europe which if I pass the exam, I will be starting the foundation year from January 2016. If not, I have the opportunity to repeat year 12. If I do pass, then I will drop out of year 12 and begin medicine in Europe. That's my plan.

I was recommended to continue to A2 and get AAA, but I believe since we would be following the old system,50% of A2 is worth AS, so your AS may pull you down even if you do get AAA. Continuing to A2 simply means you have to work like mental and everyone has to admit, no one can work super hard - day night, because you will become exhausted and your brain will become tired. So realistically, I think the best option would be to repeat the whole year 12 in the new system. I researched into this, and found that there are more Universities who do not mind you repeating AS than A2.

It is up to you in the end, but to be honest, if you continue to A2 and still not get the grades you want, then you would be stuck, because you will have to repeat AS and A2 - so another two years due to the new system. Gap year is only preferred by Universities if the student has achieved decent grades, but just want to gain experience - i.e. work experience, or repeat UKCAT or BMAT, etc. That's my advice. You don't have to take my word for it, because it is entirely up to you. But this is simply my advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
However, you will need to take the UKCAT exam again, as your score is only valid for one year. But it may still be worth it to take it this year, as it can give you some experience, and more confidence for the next time you take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I was in the same position as you. Got ABBD at AS, banged them up to AAA at A2 and now i'm on a gap year applying for med.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help guys @SimSembi @Krishy @ApplesTrees

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any consequence from taking the UKCAT twice, so If i had took it this year just for experience and again next year for my entry?
Thanks for your help guys @SimSembi @Krishy @ApplesTrees

I was wondering if anyone knew if there is any consequence from taking the UKCAT twice, so If i had took it this year just for experience and again next year for my entry?

Not at all. Except for paying for the test this year when you're not going to use the result. But if money isn't an issue then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Bear in mind that you would be applying in the September at the start of your gap year, so you would not be able to leave work experience and voluntary work as late as the gap year itself. Having stuff lined up for the gap year is all well and good, but it will not meet the need for work experience and voluntary work already done prior to sending off your application.
Reply 9
Original post by Ronove
Bear in mind that you would be applying in the September at the start of your gap year, so you would not be able to leave work experience and voluntary work as late as the gap year itself. Having stuff lined up for the gap year is all well and good, but it will not meet the need for work experience and voluntary work already done prior to sending off your application.

I understand that thus i will organise work xp for the next summer aswell pre-application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending