The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3860
Hi everyone, I'm about to go in to my final year of SLT, and wanted to second what Butterfly9595 and Amy have said- whilst there is a lot of work on the course and it is demanding, particularly during placement and exam periods, it is manageable and very rewarding. I would say that if you are passionate about SLT and able to keep on top of your assignments and avoid leaving work til the last minute then you will be fine. Ive found that there is sometimes overlap between different areas or you will go over subjects again in more depth, but personally I think that helps you to gain a deeper understanding of what you are learning and will be useful when you go on placement as you will need to integrate everything you've learnt in lectures when working with clients ,and for me, having a bit of overlap between subjects helps me to do that! Whilst SLT does have more contact hours than a lot of courses, I think that because ive worked closely with the other people on the course and we've spent so much time together, ive made some really good friends and we support each other when we are finding things difficult or feeling stressed. We do have long days, but most days we have gaps in the day so you can often get work done during the day. Also, I think the majority of lectures will want to support you and help you- they don't want you to fail. I would say if you do find you are struggling, always speak to your personal tutor or module leader for support, I know that all of our lecturers are really helpful and supportive, and hopefully it will be the same at other Unis. Good luck to everyone starting their course in September, even though it is a challenging course I'm sure you will really enjoy it!
hey guys, I'm a bit unsure about student finance, we're not entitled to a grant from student finance are we?x
Original post by Ellice97
hey guys, I'm a bit unsure about student finance, we're not entitled to a grant from student finance are we?x

You are entitled to a reduced loan of £2324(?) from SFE - don't think this is means tested and its in addition to any NHS bursary you are entitled to.
Oh, I don't say these things to put people off! Far from it! If you go into it knowing all the gritty details, it won't be a shock when it happens to you. Better the devil you know, after all.

So many people dropped out of my course (we started with 45, ended with 28), that I don't think the unis do a good enough job publicising what the degree entails. Nearly all unis interview for SLT now, which is definitely a step in the right direction to combat the drop out rates. My course didn't interview when I applied, so my cohort had loads of people on it that were there for other reasons:
~ Thought the course was an easy way to get a degree (the dreaded 'soft option')
~ Wanted a career other than SLT, and thought this course was a way to get there (e.g. drama therapy, music therapy, elocution teacher, equestrian therapy)

Other times when people dropped out later, like in Year 2 or 3, it was usually: because they underestimated how medical and scientific the course is, had family commitments (children and ill relatives) which needed to come first - couldn't balance work load/travel commitments and these responsibilities, or failed more than 1 module at the end of one of the years and their heart wasn't in it to retake them.

Go for it if you love SLT. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone,
I would like to share a message sent by Marjon (University of St Mark and St John in Plymouth) to its SLT students (on Monday 17th). Places through clearing may still be available. I hope this can be helpful to somebody.

"Dear students
We have been busy recruiting new students to the programme and still have a small number of NHS funded places to fill for this September. If you are on twitter and/or facebook, please share the following links to help is reach a wide audience!Twitter: The Marjonuni twitter page
https://twitter.com/marjonuni/status/633258887743827968
Facebook:
Visit the University of St Mark and St John facebook page and share today's post about SLT, with promotional video featuring Year one students Allannah and Sophie!"

Good luck!!!
It's just over a month till uni and I'm starting to get excited :')

Nervous,

but excited! :biggrin:
Original post by JordanC55
It's just over a month till uni and I'm starting to get excited :':wink:

Nervous,

No need to be nervous - not yet anyway - save that for when you have several deadlines within a few days of each other hahahaha

Seriously though - don't worry it will be fine - if I can survive it anyone can :biggrin:
It's just over a month till uni and I'm starting to get excited :')

Nervous,

I know right! I'm super excited but still scared something may go wrong at the last minute and I won't be able to start or something!!
If there are any Strathclyde people lurking, Timetables are now up for all year groups :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JaaySLT
I know right! I'm super excited but still scared something may go wrong at the last minute and I won't be able to start or something!!

Feel exactly the same!
Original post by JaaySLT

Exactly, we just get an email saying we haven't really been confirmed and they've just been trolling us the entire time.

Original post by AmyPilot
No need to be nervous - not yet anyway - save that for when you have several deadlines within a few days of each other hahahaha

Seriously though - don't worry it will be fine - if I can survive it anyone can :biggrin:

Hahaha I can imagine! I'll be posting in next years' applicants thread being like wtf have I done with my life?!

I'm quite excited I won't lie I just wish we had our timetables.
Original post by Butterfly9595
If there are any Strathclyde people lurking, Timetables are now up for all year groups :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend is going Strathcylde :smile:
My friend is going Strathcylde :smile:

Aaw nice, is that the one who had to write the Clearing essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
Aaw nice, is that the one who had to write the Clearing essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah haha, she got a place! It'll be weird visiting there if she has a better time than me :,)
Yeah haha, she got a place! It'll be weird visiting there if she has a better time than me :,)

Glad to hear it! Haha, different places suit different people - you'll just have see what it's all like in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3875
So i've just completed my AS and i've been quite interested in speech & therapy language but whilst looking at the fact the all the unis offering this course all have a low percentage rate of applicants receiving offers, can anyone explain why this is?
Original post by H1998
So i've just completed my AS and i've been quite interested in speech & therapy language but whilst looking at the fact the all the unis offering this course all have a low percentage rate of applicants receiving offers, can anyone explain why this is?

Limited number of unis offer the course.
Number of places at each uni is also restricted (dictated by how many places the NHS is willing to fund) - some only take 20 students - a large group would be about 45ish places.
Lots of applicants (up to 300/400 applying for the very limited spaces).

Which unis would you be interested in applying to? What subjects do you take at A level?
Original post by H1998

It is competitive as well. It's almost as competitive as medicine and the fact that it's fully funded in terms of fees and bursaried makes it very attractive.
Reply 3878
What a levels/btecs/experience/GCSE grades etc. are required or will make your ucas application look good for you to be more likely to receive an offer?
Reply 3879
Original post by AmyPilot
Limited number of unis offer the course.
Number of places at each uni is also restricted (dictated by how many places the NHS is willing to fund) - some only take 20 students - a large group would be about 45ish places.
Lots of applicants (up to 300/400 applying for the very limited spaces).

Which unis would you be interested in applying to? What subjects do you take at A level?

I'm currently studying Psychology, sociology and law, but i'm thinking of taking up AS biology as it may appeal to the universities more. As well as completing work experience during the October half term. I've thought about BCU, City, reading so far. But what appeals universities, from what I've read some of those who have applied don't receive an even if they meet the requirements?

Quick Reply

Latest