The Student Room Group

What would be required for a UK student to get onto the Harvard LLM course?

Would merely getting a First not be suffice? What else would be needed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by theperformer
Would merely getting a First not be suffice? What else would be needed?

Probably have studied Law at Oxbridge with either a first or 2:1
Original post by legzgo9
Probably have studied Law at Oxbridge with either a first or 2:1

I don't think where you studied actually matters, if I am not mistaken.
Reply 3

For Law at Harvard, one of the best Unis in the world, surely it would? I might be mistaken though
Original post by legzgo9
For Law at Harvard, one of the best Unis in the world, surely it would? I might be mistaken though

I don't think so, Harvard LLM takes international students; Cambridge is one of the best uni's in the world and it's been said many times that the uni you do undergrad at doesn't influence whether you can do the LLM, the grades do
I don't think so, Harvard LLM takes international students; Cambridge is one of the best uni's in the world and it's been said many times that the uni you do undergrad at doesn't influence whether you can do the LLM, the grades do

You also have to take the LSAT.
Reply 6

But a degree at a higher rank Uni is more difficult, therefore more difficult to get a good grade in than a lower rank Uni, so this doesn't make sense
Original post by legzgo9
But a degree at a higher rank Uni is more difficult, therefore more difficult to get a good grade in than a lower rank Uni, so this doesn't make sense

Where did you get that idea? A First in LLB is a first.

Original post by will_jg
You also have to take the LSAT.

Even for masters courses? I thought this was only required if you want to undergrad at Harvard.
Reply 8

Even for masters courses? I thought this was only required if you want to undergrad at Harvard.

That one required for undergrad is the SAT. For law school they require the LSAT. Also you don't need an LLB for an American LLM, because there is no such a thing as undergraduate law in the US.

In the US law is a postgraduate degree.
Original post by Summit
That one required for undergrad is the SAT. For law school they require the LSAT. Also you don't need an LLB for an American LLM, because there is no such a thing as undergraduate law in the US.

So Harvard need LSAT for LLM? And Cambridge need a First in LLB?

It absolutely would. Prestige is a FAR bigger thing in the US than it is here, so WHERE you did your undergraduate often has a far greater weighting when it comes to graduate admissions, and job prospects there than it does here.

The LSAT is exclusively the entry exam for law courses in the US
Original post by limetang
The LSAT is exclusively the entry exam for law courses in the US

But what do international students need to do to study masters law at Harvard? The Harvard LLM course is almost exclusively filled with international students.
It absolutely would. Prestige is a FAR bigger thing in the US than it is here, so WHERE you did your undergraduate often has a far greater weighting when it comes to graduate admissions, and job prospects there than it does here.

Can you cite any sources for this? (I'm aware it affects job prospects; but I'm specifically referring to admissions onto a masters program).
Reply 15

That is completely false. Yale and Harvard's law schools specifically say that the undergraduate alma mater doesn't matter (no pun intended). In fact, they yearly publish a list containing the schools where their students have gotten their undergraduate degrees from (sorry I don't have the link at hand right now, but as soon as I find it will post it).
Original post by Summit
That is completely false. Yale and Harvard's law schools specifically say that the undergraduate alma mater doesn't matter (no pun intended). In fact, they yearly publish a list containing the schools where their students have gotten their undergraduate degrees from (sorry I don't have the link at hand right now, but as soon as I find it will post it).

You don't have the link, but can you tell me what to search for to get that info?
Original post by Summit

Lies. :colone:
Reply 18
You don't have the link, but can you tell me what to search for to get that info?

FINE! I WAS BEING LAZY! :biggrin:

Here is the Harvard list. Sadly I couldn't find the Yale one.

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmissions/apply-to-harvard-law-school/undergraduate-colleges/
Reply 19
Original post by Juichiro
Lies. :colone:

Maybe :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending