The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
I'd much rather take a win over Murray or Djokovic for Rafa's confidence than over Federer. It's still the most lopsided of the rivalries as Rafa can still profit from exploiting Federer's one handed backhand. Confidence is always part of it with Rafa, but he definitely needs to change his style of play so that he shortens points, by going after his first serve and trying to hit winners earlier on.

I don't think Rafa has to change he just needs to rack up a decent streak and a few wins over top 10. Remember 2013 when fed was losing to almost every Tom dick and Harry. Eg robredo US open, but then how did he regain his supremacy that he has now and his only rival is Djokovic really?
His game hasn't changed that much from 2013 actually some of his individual points were very good back then it's literally the break points that are generally crucial.
This is something Rafa is struggling with. I.e he can't close out a match.
Well done Murray! Finally breaks through against Djokovic after 2 years/ 8 straight defeats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The extremely open nature of the US Open looks set to continue in my opinion anyone of Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Federer or Nishikori (if healthy) can win it. Rafa is still far off his best and what's needed to hang with the top guys and Federer would need to serve like he did in his semi at Wimbledon to have a realistic chance but we'll see.
Well done, Murray. A great victory and a happy day all round for him with Mauresmo's birth. Very pleasing to see the way he's ending the season.

Elsewhere, Kokkanikis is embroiled in an argument at the handshake with Harrison. My word.
I think we could have Murray or a surprise winner at the US Open.
Original post by Krish4791
I think we could have Murray or a surprise winner at the US Open.

If you had to tip an outsider who would you go for?
Excited about Cincinnati. Hopefully Fedal happens but I see Raonic taking out Nadal.

Nice to see Murray finally win against Djokovic. It makes the US Open very open.
Original post by lizzy95
If you had to tip an outsider who would you go for?

My outside picks would be Cilic or Raonic, they could go all the way.
Murray is looking very good for a second title at the US Open (barring any stupid **** ups he makes in earlier rounds). Of course Djokovic is the default favourite, but I'm liking the chances of the others to take any of the front runners out. Nishikori, Wawrinka, maybe even Cilic has a good shot at disrupting the order that has reigned for years. Murray should just take CIncinnati easy this week so he's well rested for the Open.

As for Rafa, he's still in a bad place at the moment, but he's a phenomenal previous record to draw strength from. Consider this: despite missing the US Open in 2012 and '14, he has made the semi-final or better dating all the way back to 2008, winning twice. As ever in the slams, if he builds up a good run he gets into dangerous form come the quarter finals, so if he can just get a few match wins in there who knows.
Mr Federer dismantled Murray at wimby at his best and yet the pundits think Murray is a deserving world no.2. The only reason he is is because Roger didn't play so he lost 600 points if he played he would've still been no2 so not sure why the British are getting so excited over a win where Novak was spraying errors left right and centre.
If you put the wimby final Novak against the Murray yday then Novak would've won.
Original post by Rkai01
Mr Federer dismantled Murray at wimby at his best and yet the pundits think Murray is a deserving world no.2. The only reason he is is because Roger didn't play so he lost 600 points if he played he would've still been no2 so not sure why the British are getting so excited over a win where Novak was spraying errors left right and centre.
If you put the wimby final Novak against the Murray yday then Novak would've won.

You can't really take anything away from Murray though - he's been more consistent at the Slams this year (F, SF, SF) and he played well yesterday - very aggressive like in 2012/2013. And the US summer hard court season has been kind to Murray in the past, whereas Djokovic does struggle more during this stretch.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sirocco11
Murray is looking very good for a second title at the US Open (barring any stupid **** ups he makes in earlier rounds). Of course Djokovic is the default favourite, but I'm liking the chances of the others to take any of the front runners out. Nishikori, Wawrinka, maybe even Cilic has a good shot at disrupting the order that has reigned for years. Murray should just take CIncinnati easy this week so he's well rested for the Open.

As for Rafa, he's still in a bad place at the moment, but he's a phenomenal previous record to draw strength from. Consider this: despite missing the US Open in 2012 and '14, he has made the semi-final or better dating all the way back to 2008, winning twice. As ever in the slams, if he builds up a good run he gets into dangerous form come the quarter finals, so if he can just get a few match wins in there who knows.

Agree. I think Raonic could also do some damage. People have been saying he's overhyped but "expect the unexpected" can apply here.
My outside picks would be Cilic or Raonic, they could go all the way.

I think Raonic next year but this year his lack of fitness has set him back. Cilic maybe if the draw opens up for him, i.e he doesn't have to play Djokovic but he's definitely got the firepower to go far
Original post by Rkai01

Murray is the deserving number 2 to be fair. Murray has won 2 masters and has a slam final this year. Federer does have a slam final too but he is yet to win anything above 500 this season. Yes, Federer did beat him at Wimbledon but that was Federer at his very best. Unfortunately at 34, Federer will very rarely play at that level hence why Murray has better results this year and is ahead of Roger in the race to London.

Murray did play very well yesterday. He was pretty clutch by coming up with a big first serve when facing a BP in the 3rd set. He was the deserved winner.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_K1NG
Murray is the deserving number 2 to be fair. Murray has won 2 masters and has a slam final this year. Federer does have a slam final too but he is yet to win anything above 500 this season. Yes, Federer did beat him at Wimbledon but that was Federer at his very best. Unfortunately at 34, Federer will very rarely play at that level hence why Murray has better results this year and is ahead of Roger in the race to London.

Murray did play very well yesterday. He was pretty clutch by coming up with a big first serve when facing a BP in the 3rd set. He was the deserved winner.

What I meant is that Murray was at his best at Wimbledon and even he said that after queens and the pundits as well.
Wow 1 win against nolé (at his worst) and everyone thinks he will sweep the U.S. series. Yes he does have a good chance and he is a class player no question. Prior to yday he was on a 11-0 losing streak against Roger and Novak.
Murray needs to beat 2 of the big 3 in a slam which he hasn't done en route to the tital. U.S. 12- beat only nolé
Wimbs 2013- only nolé. On the other hand the big 3 have beaten 2 or more of each other en route to the tital.
There's no doubt out of the big 4 Federer has the most talent whereas the others have been brute hard work. Don't get me wrong fed has worked really really hard but mostly so after the emergence of Rafa and most recently Djokovic. Put a 34 yr old Murray vs Federer and I think everyone will agree fed will comfortably win?
I can't imagine what would happen if it were a 34 yr old Murray vs 28 Federer lol
You can't really take anything away from Murray though - he's been more consistent at the Slams this year (F, SF, SF) and he played well yesterday - very aggressive like in 2012/2013. And the US summer hard court season has been kind to Murray in the past, whereas Djokovic does struggle more during this stretch.

Well there you go in those slams who has he lost to? This is I guess murrays best chance given the situation with Rafa and perhaps a lucky draw if Rafa can beat Federer and then Murray will beat Rafa and if it is a windy day he may the fav against Novak or even Stan will take out nolé.
Raonic ain't winning ****. I'll be surprised if he even gets to the semis. Out of the servebots my outside pick would be Isner. He's had a solid hard court season so far. He's out of Cincy now so he should get some well needed rest before the USOpen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A good night for the big boys. Djokovic and Murray advance with their winning form, and Wawrinka comes from behind to claim victory as Nadal stumbles but recovers to win a thriller.
Reply 4178
I think Feli could take out Nadal tonight!
Original post by RyJ
I think Feli could take out Nadal tonight!
Called it, also not quite sure how Murray managed to beat Dimitrov, a set & double break down, plus 5-2 down in the final set...

Quick Reply

Latest