The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ---.---
Hi. I just want to ask if I would possibly get into medicine at Birmingham University? I received my AS results ABBB so next year I will be predicted A*AA. GCSEs I got 3A*s 5As 3Bs 2Cs, I know they are bad but it was due to severe anaemia which is classed as extenuating circumstances. I'm planning on going through the A2B Scheme and will be doing the UKCAT soon. Is it possible? What are the chances of getting in?

This is the graduate entry thread.

I am not sure how the A2B scheme works, but if you qualify for it then go ahead. If you don't qualify for A2B then don't apply to B'ham as you don't meet their AAAA requirement at AS.
Original post by ForestCat
This is the graduate entry thread.

I am not sure how the A2B scheme works, but if you qualify for it then go ahead. If you don't qualify for A2B then don't apply to B'ham as you don't meet their AAAA requirement at AS.

Original post by Amywool
I think everyone should just apply. No harm! I've been through the process twice and have written 2 personal statements. Had an interview at Kings (who by the way last year accepted people with a 630 UKCAT if you have a first class degree). And whilst I did feel disappointed it made me want to do better this time. If you have the time. Do it. :smile:

Are you sure?? For GEM?? If so, I might swap my 5 year option to that haha
Original post by MJK91
Really? For GEM?

If so ignore most of my post above! But I thought it was approx. 740 last year?

I called them today and they said they consider a score of 650 very good and likely for interview but they consider other factors so a lower UKCAT score if you got high grades. Also the Kaplan girl who did my course said the 630 and a first thing but I don't know where she got that other than her boss!
I know a lot of people believe that low UKCAT scores aren't worth applying but really is there anything to loose, yes it's stressful, yes your secretly hopeful yet you know you will be rejected. Think about the people who have been rejected multiple times, it is what it is. You can't control who Bob billie and Angie choose but you can put yourself out there and experience the whole application process. That's just my opinion. Plus it minimises the amount of work you have to do next year... So for instance if your UKCAT score wasn't good you know you have to work harder on that next year & if your personal statement needs more work since you might not have much experience then you work on that. Basically applying regardless will help you figure out your weakness & then you can work on strengthen your application for the next year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KirstieW
Are you sure?? For GEM?? If so, I might swap my 5 year option to that haha

Aren't you automatically considered for the 5 year too if you apply to the 4 year at Kings? Or is that just if you get to interview? Thinking aloud. I know I got an interview in 2012 with a score of 620 and I called them today and they said 650 for gem is considered good and they consider other things too :smile: call them for more info if you like. It's an important decision!
You're all making me doubt what the lady at Kings said to me about the 650! I think I'll ring again tomorrow. But I said 4 year course like a million times!
Original post by Amywool
Aren't you automatically considered for the 5 year too if you apply to the 4 year at Kings? Or is that just if you get to interview? Thinking aloud. I know I got an interview in 2012 with a score of 620 and I called them today and they said 650 for gem is considered good and they consider other things too :smile: call them for more info if you like. It's an important decision!

Yeah at King's if you get to interview they may consider you for the 5 year course as a means of a waiting list so to speak, and you might get pushed up to the 4 year if a place becomes available :smile:
Original post by MJK91
X

Thanks for such an informative and realistic reply! It gives me hope that multiple failures will eventually lead to that success.

I think I shall go ahead with the application knowing that I will get rejected for this year's cycle in order to smooth everything out this year, so I know what to expect next year.

My background is fairly complicated and might explain why a rejection this year may work in my favour. Currently going into my second year of my part-time MSc whilst working full-time at a medical journal on top of two good old voluntary work!

I'd assume the non-personal care refers to care-based work for non-relatives?

Original post by Amywool
X

Thanks! I've also heard that KCL GEM accepted people last year with 630+ but with exceptional backgrounds to counteract the low score achieved.

Original post by Emily Thorne
X

Is this your first attempt? 580 is not bad but falls within the national average I reckon and don't forget that TSR is very skewed, the people on this forum tends to be high achievers and post some ridiculous scores.

I think a majority of people struggle with VR so you're not alone.

GAMSAT is out of the question for me this year. Realisitically speaking I don't have time for this. BMAT is a possibility but the test falls during term time, so it's cutting it tight.

Originally thought of WMS, Barts, Southampton, KCL or Newcastle. But with a low score I laugh and cry at the same time!

Best of luck people. I'll look forward to the success stories on this thread!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PkT1991
Thanks for such an informative and realistic reply! It gives me hope that multiple failures will eventually lead to that success.

I think I shall go ahead with the application knowing that I will get rejected for this year's cycle in order to smooth everything out this year, so I know what to expect next year.

My background is fairly complicated and might explain why a rejection this year may work in my favour. Currently going into my second year of my part-time MSc whilst working full-time at a prestigious medical journal on top of two good old voluntary work!

Thanks! I've also heard that KCL GEM accepted people last year with 630+ but with exceptional backgrounds to counteract the low score achieved.

Is this your first attempt? 580 is not bad but falls within the national average I reckon and don't forget that TSR is very skewed, the people on this forum tends to be high achievers and post some ridiculous scores.

GAMSAT is out of the question for me this year. Realisitically speaking I don't have time for this. BMAT is a possibility but the test falls during term time, so it's cutting it tight.

Originally thought of WMS, Barts, Southampton, KCL or Newcastle. But with a low score I laugh and cry at the same time!

Hi,

What do you mean by exceptional backgrounds?
Original post by PkT1991

My background is fairly complicated and might explain why a rejection this year may work in my favour. Currently going into my second year of my part-time MSc whilst working full-time at a prestigious medical journal on top of two good old voluntary work!

Best of luck to you too! Yeah me too! I actually can't wait going to try keep upto date with This thread!

Are there any people blogging about their entire application & uni experiences ? Forward me links of any blogs you guys read and find helpfull.

Mine (not so great but thought I'd share anyway) www.biomedtomedicine.blogspot.co.uk
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PkT1991

My background is fairly complicated and might explain why a rejection this year may work in my favour. Currently going into my second year of my part-time MSc whilst working full-time at a medical journal on top of two good old voluntary work!

Yes this was my first attempt!
Original post by Ooompalumpa
X

Exceptional academics and a very good personal statement is what I have heard. Though I'm rather sceptical, especially when KCL is known to place so much emphasis on the UKCAT!

X

It's still a respective score for your first attempt! I'll follow your blog in hopes to hear your success in the future! For anyone whose interested in blogs here's mine: http://myapplicationtomedicine.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by PkT1991
Exceptional academics and a very good personal statement is what I have heard. Though I'm rather sceptical, especially when KCL is known to place so much emphasis on the UKCAT!

It's still a respective score for your first attempt! I'll follow your blog in hopes to hear your success in the future! For anyone whose interested in blogs here's mine: http://myapplicationtomedicine.blogspot.co.uk/

Yay! New blog for me to read and keep up with! Hope to hear of your success in the future too! Good luck & may the odds be ever in your favour lol *hungergamefreak*
Yay! New blog for me to read and keep up with! Hope to hear of your success in the future too! Good luck & may the odds be ever in your favour lol *hungergamefreak*

Original post by PkT1991

Cool interesting blogs, will follow both :smile:
At the risk of getting inundated I've a couple of books for bmat and ukcat prep including the kaplan resources. I'm starting in September so I won't be needing them.

I completed my msc and applied 5 times before getting a place. I got a couple things free so I'm paying them forward to the next person.

They are annotated but anything helps. I hated ukcat and while did much better than my first attempt as 17 year old I did alright last year with 675 average.

If you are in leeds / Bradford area I'd consider dropping off :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rose256
Hey, what do u mean Warwick require "non personal care" ?!!

Non-personal care means not for a relative. So looking after a grandparent, or a sick mother for example, doesn't qualify (I could argue them all day about that, but hey, thems the rules!)
Original post by MJK91
Non-personal care means not for a relative. So looking after a grandparent, or a sick mother for example, doesn't qualify (I could argue them all day about that, but hey, thems the rules!)

Ohh ok! Thanks :smile:. I see where they are coming from though...as a doctor you will be caring for people who are not your relatives. It's different in terms of communication, patience etc.
Hi all!

I don't think I have posted in here before, haha. But I'm also applying for 2016 entry for GEM :smile:
My UKCAT is next week and let's just say I'm petrified, I doubt I'll do too well on the UKCAT and as it's the only entrance exam I plan on doing, well my options are very limited. I'll apply anyway for the experience and try again next year.

Question, is anyone here considering applying to Cambridge? Or does anyone have any information about how they choose who to interview given there is no entrance exam?
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
Hi all!

I don't think I have posted in here before, haha. But I'm also applying for 2016 entry for GEM :smile:
My UKCAT is next week and let's just say I'm petrified, I doubt I'll do too well on the UKCAT and as it's the only entrance exam I plan on doing, well my options are very limited. I'll apply anyway for the experience and try again next year.

Question, is anyone here considering applying to Cambridge? Or does anyone have any information about how they choose who to interview given there is no entrance exam?

I am applying for Cambridge as well and I have the same question!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending