The Student Room Group

Going from high C to A in physics??

Is it possible to get an A at the end of A2?
(edited 5 years ago)
It is possible but Physics was, at least in my experience, the hardest science I've done. Also, you may want to reconsider retaking both exams since it might be too much pressure now that January exams are not an option. If you think you can handle it then sure, go for it. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Got a C (208 ums) in physics, basically a B grade. I want an A in A2, im going to resit both the physics papers as I got a C on both and coursework pulled me up.

Is it possible to get an A at the end of A2?

I got A's in maths and chemistry at AS so really need an A from physics at the end of year 13

You know its possible.
With those two resits it's very much possible, and an A* is within reach.

A2 is a step up, but you just have to work harder.
What board are you on for physics? Do you by any chance be on the OCR physics A?
Original post by vd12345
You know its possible.

Physics is one of the hardest sciences and at A2 it gets harder so was just seeing if it's possible with Physics specifically. :smile:
Original post by Laurenafenete
What board are you on for physics? Do you by any chance be on the OCR physics A?

OCR B sadly, wish I was on OCR A. How come?
OCR B sadly, wish I was on OCR A. How come?

Curious to be honest as OCR physics is known for being notoriously hard, I'm on OCR physics A

Did crap though for all my AS subjects got a D for physics as I panicked in the mechanics exam and got a U.

I'm sure that you can get an A next year. Good luck!
Original post by Hydeman
It is possible but Physics was, at least in my experience, the hardest science I've done. Also, you may want to reconsider retaking both exams since it might be too much pressure now that January exams are not an option. If you think you can handle it then sure, go for it. :smile:

It's also in my experience way harder then chemistry, I find chemistry so much more easier :tongue:

I didn't want to resit both papers but the way my marks are spread, I think I have to resit both to increase my AS UMS high enough to help me out with A2. I'm only resitting one Maths paper so I would only be resitting 3 papers from AS.
Original post by SeanFM
With those two resits it's very much possible, and an A* is within reach.

A2 is a step up, but you just have to work harder.

How big was the step up for you? I think I'll go for the A in Physics however going for A* in Maths :smile:
It's also in my experience way harder then chemistry, I find chemistry so much more easier :tongue:

I didn't want to resit both papers but the way my marks are spread, I think I have to resit both to increase my AS UMS high enough to help me out with A2. I'm only resitting one Maths paper so I would only be resitting 3 papers from AS.

I feel the same way. Chemistry was my only A* at A-level although I felt it was something of a fluke because both papers just really agreed with me whereas in Physics and Biology I mucked up one paper each, ending up with an A in both as a consequence. xD

And that's important too I guess. You need to get a little bit above the A boundary at AS so you can afford to muck up slightly at A2. :smile: If you're resitting three papers, it might be an idea only to do three A levels at A2 like most people. Believe me, four A2 levels plus resits is a pain in the ass... Anyway, good luck!
How big was the step up for you? I think I'll go for the A in Physics however going for A* in Maths :smile:

I was with AQA. The topics were harder than at AS, sometimes the exam questions can be nice or difficult, multiple choice questions require practice. It's hard, but not impossible to do.
Original post by Hydeman
I feel the same way. Chemistry was my only A* at A-level although I felt it was something of a fluke because both papers just really agreed with me whereas in Physics and Biology I mucked up one paper each, ending up with an A in both as a consequence. xD

And that's important too I guess. You need to get a little bit above the A boundary at AS so you can afford to muck up slightly at A2. :smile: If you're resitting three papers, it might be an idea only to do three A levels at A2 like most people. Believe me, four A2 levels plus resits is a pain in the ass... Anyway, good luck!

A*AA is still awesome, that's my personal target for A2 :smile: what course did you apply for at uni? I'm guessing NatSci?

And I am doing only 3 A2's next year, Maths Physics and Chemistry. I'm aiming to bring my AS UMS up to atleast 250-260 to give me a good foundation.
A*AA is still awesome, that's my personal target for A2 :smile: what course did you apply for at uni? I'm guessing NatSci?

And I am doing only 3 A2's next year, Maths Physics and Chemistry. I'm aiming to bring my AS UMS up to atleast 250-260 to give me a good foundation.

Haha thanks. :smile: It's actually A*AAB with B in maths. :/ While I would have wanted at least straight As, all the maths papers for my board this year (WJEC) were straight from hell. Like, after C3 and M2, the aim literally changed from 'get an A*' to 'avoid slipping to a C.' Oh well.

I'm taking a gap year so haven't applied yet. NatSci was the dream but I wanted to do physical NatSci and a lot of universities ask for at least an A in maths so I'm doing my back up option, which is medicine. :biggrin:

That's a great subject combination you've got. Aim as high as possible. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Haha thanks. :smile: It's actually A*AAB with B in maths. :/ While I would have wanted at least straight As, all the maths papers for my board this year (WJEC) were straight from hell. Like, after C3 and M2, the aim literally changed from 'get an A*' to 'avoid slipping to a C.' Oh well.

I'm taking a gap year so haven't applied yet. NatSci was the dream but I wanted to do physical NatSci and a lot of universities ask for at least an A in maths so I'm doing my back up option, which is medicine. :biggrin:

That's a great subject combination you've got. Aim as high as possible. :smile:

Thank god I will not be doing M2, I'm doing S1 next year :biggrin:
And wow, medicine as a 'backup' xD. Are you going to get experience in medicine during your gap year?
Thank god I will not be doing M2, I'm doing S1 next year :biggrin:
And wow, medicine as a 'backup' xD. Are you going to get experience in medicine during your gap year?

Haha yes. I will be getting more experience over September and then hopefully starting a healthcare assistant job (HCA) at my mother's hospital during my gap year. I already have a good amount of experience though since I toyed with the idea right from day one of sixth form and subsequently did a bunch of things that all the people who were definitely applying for medicine were doing e.g. applying to placements, taking part in the local Brain Bee etc.

If I get unconditional offers, I might resit my A2 maths with permission from my firm choice just for closure. And when I do, I might just do S1 instead of trying to lock horns with M2 again. :wink: I just felt A2 maths to be such a waste. I must have spent hundreds of hours on it and only have a B to show for it.

Quick Reply

Latest