Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham 2015 Entry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraTimmy
Hi,
I'm due to start the 4 year biology course in September and I've planned to live at home and commute for my 1st year (saving money, finding my feet and all that).

I'm hoping to move into halls in my second year; how likely is it I'll get a place? Is my choice to live at home going to mean a whole lot of loneliness socially?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey Laura!

Congratulations on getting into UoN!
My personal advice would be: if you are planning on living one year in halls, it would be better to live in halls in your first year and then move out in second year :smile: Just because you will be surrounded by other first years going through the same experiences as you at the same time! Plus, halls is a great way of making friends in first year! I know quite a few people who have done that, and it has really worked out for them!

That being said, living at home in first year does NOT mean a whole lot of loneliness socially! That is the reason why societies exist! Societies are a great way of making new friends, who have the same interests as you! And if you put the effort in, you will be sure to make lots of new friends quickly! :smile:

Hope this has helped!

All the best,
AIESEC Nottingham
http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/society/AIESEC/
http://www.aiesec.co.uk/
(We are a society too! Check us out online, we will be recruiting for new members in Sept :smile: )
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I know this is a long shot, but is anyone doing classical civilisation? :biggrin:
- derby halls
Original post by AIESEC_NOTTS
Hey Laura!

Congratulations on getting into UoN!
My personal advice would be: if you are planning on living one year in halls, it would be better to live in halls in your first year and then move out in second year :smile: Just because you will be surrounded by other first years going through the same experiences as you at the same time! Plus, halls is a great way of making friends in first year! I know quite a few people who have done that, and it has really worked out for them!

That being said, living at home in first year does NOT mean a whole lot of loneliness socially! That is the reason why societies exist! Societies are a great way of making new friends, who have the same interests as you! And if you put the effort in, you will be sure to make lots of new friends quickly! :smile:

Hope this has helped!

All the best,
AIESEC Nottingham
http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/society/AIESEC/
http://www.aiesec.co.uk/
(We are a society too! Check us out online, we will be recruiting for new members in Sept :smile: )

Thank you for the reply :h:
I've got to admit the idea of living in halls is growing on me quite a bit... what are the chances of finding a hall (probably self catered) this late?
Thank you for the reply :h:
I've got to admit the idea of living in halls is growing on me quite a bit... what are the chances of finding a hall (probably self catered) this late?

No problem - I think self catered accommodation will be a lot easier to find than catered at this point in time. But you would need to send them an email asap
Original post by AIESEC_NOTTS
No problem - I think self catered accommodation will be a lot easier to find than catered at this point in time. But you would need to send them an email asap

Okay, thanks so much for all your help :smile:
Hi all.

I have a spare room going in Raleigh Park for postgraduate students. It is close to the postgraduate only hall, has all the facilities you need and you can enjoy the free shuttle bus to the University and back. Message me if you're interested.
Hi I had a question on admissions for 2016. I have done 8 igcse subjects and attained 7A* and 1 A. My alevel grades were AAAAB and my predicted grades are 6A* ( epq+wbq-business studies) my ukcat is 665 and I have a band 2. Should I still apply or is it too risky. Any answers will be appreciated.
Original post by phil@uni
I know this is a long shot, but is anyone doing classical civilisation? :biggrin:
- derby halls

Not your course but Derby halls (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imsoshy
Not your course but Derby halls (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. What course are you taking ?:smile:
Original post by phil@uni
Cool. What course are you taking ?:smile:

Economics and econometrics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Industrial economics anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, thanks so much for all your help :smile:

I heard there are still spaces in Jubilee Campus catered halls..
Hi Mercieo!

I'm going to be 3rd year Industrial Economics student, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me :smile:

All the best,
AIESEC Nottingham

http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/society/aiesec/
Www.aiesec.co.uk
(we are recruiting in sept, feel free to have a look- great addition alongisde our degeee)

Original post by mercieo
Industrial economics anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do students take to lectures and seminars? Deciding whether to get a bag of some sort
Original post by ButterflyGirl97
What do students take to lectures and seminars? Deciding whether to get a bag of some sort

Depends on personal preference and subject.
I usually brought a file with paper and the lecture notes, and then a few pens and highlighters to go through it.
Some decide to type their notes instead.
Some even bring dictaphones.
I brought a bag as I would usually go to the library afterwards too 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the welcome events have been released today! Is it essential to book tickets now? Or can I book them when I get there?
I'd book when you get there tbh, you don't know what your flatmates are doing yet and you could waste some money! That's my plan anyway :smile:
Original post by -bethan-
I'd book when you get there tbh, you don't know what your flatmates are doing yet and you could waste some money! That's my plan anyway :smile:

Yeah!! Good idea! I'll do that too!!
Thanks!! :smile:
Do we need to bring an iron if we are in catered halls or do they have irons somewhere?
Original post by ButterflyGirl97
Do we need to bring an iron if we are in catered halls or do they have irons somewhere?

Iron and ironing board in the laundry and in some kitchens 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply