The Student Room Group

Alevel further maths (edexcel)

quick questionl; do you need to know c3 and c4 to do d1, s1 and fp1?
i know its complusary to do core but im doing c1 and c2 in my first year and c3 and c4 in my second and i was wondering if i could do d1, s1 and fp1 without knowing c3 and 4
yeah you don't need c3,c4 at all

Original post by NatoHeadshot
i know its complusary to do core but im doing c1 and c2 in my first year and c3 and c4 in my second and i was wondering if i could do d1, s1 and fp1 without knowing c3 and 4
Original post by icedark_knight
yeah you don't need c3,c4 at all

are you sure? :biggrin:
Reply 3

I did fp1 s2 and m1 in further maths and s1 in normal maths. You don't need c3-4 for these. The only ones you need them for are m4/m5, s4, fp2/fp3. The modules with a 2 e.g. M2 are A2 modules, whereas those with with 1 e.g. S1 are AS modules. Even s2 doesn't need c3\c4 and its A2. The only way c3-4 would be useful I that the AS modules would be a breeze as you have done more maths. BTW I got 92, 90 and 85 ums in M1 S2 and FP1 and didn't do c3/4

yeah I've done m1,s1,fp1,m2 and I haven't done c3,4... So I'm talking from experience...
Reply 5
For AS year this is fine, it starts getting more complicated when you need C3/4 to do FP2/3 in 2nd year... But yes, this year you will be fine :smile:

nope, I did C1, C2, S1, M1, D1 and FP1 this year and got AAAAAB (B in D1) without C3/C4 knowledge, tbh the only thing is fractions which is easy, the only tricky thing in FP1 is algebra in proof by induction..
Reply 7
Original post by 雷尼克
nope, I did C1, C2, S1, M1, D1 and FP1 this year and got AAAAAB (B in D1) without C3/C4 knowledge, tbh the only thing is fractions which is easy, the only tricky thing in FP1 is algebra in proof by induction..

proof by induction is awesome tho

Edexcel have made sure you can do FP1 without C3 or C4. There are just a couple of extras that would be nice to teach but aren't vital - multiply rotation matrices to give trig formulae and links to complex numbers.

Next year is trickier ... you can't do all of FP2 without C4.
Original post by kennz
proof by induction is awesome tho

Yeah but it's annoying when you get stuck
Original post by kennz
I did fp1 s2 and m1 in further maths and s1 in normal maths. You don't need c3-4 for these. The only ones you need them for are m4/m5, s4, fp2/fp3. The modules with a 2 e.g. M2 are A2 modules, whereas those with with 1 e.g. S1 are AS modules. Even s2 doesn't need c3\c4 and its A2. The only way c3-4 would be useful I that the AS modules would be a breeze as you have done more maths. BTW I got 92, 90 and 85 ums in M1 S2 and FP1 and didn't do c3/4

thank you so much for the info!
and great marks!
btw i will be doing my exams after two years which i'm a bit dissapointed about after i heard about the reforms. I think i'm at a disadvantage, what do you guys think?
Reply 12
btw i will be doing my exams after two years which i'm a bit dissapointed about after i heard about the reforms. I think i'm at a disadvantage, what do you guys think?

Yes you are, but count yourself lucky as you don't have to go through the o-level grading reforms. Everyone starting their gcses and below will be graded on numbers 1-8 and not A*-U. Unfortunately, everyone in my year and above were the luckiest.

Quick Reply

Latest