The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And Coq picks up a 6 month long injury on September 2nd
Original post by The Shed End
And Coq picks up a 6 month long injury on September 2nd

Or Koscielny does, resulting in Wenger going out and signing Jonny Evans from us on deadline day for £16m

A man can dream :moon:
lol 2-1 against Palace was the most predictable scoreline of the season.

If I was a betting man would have put a 2-1 for that game and 2-0 win against Liverpool double on.
had 2-1 to us in the prediction thread, my only perfect prediction so far :u:

Transfer window is dead right now, sooooo boring
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Basically Bellerin should have started against West Ham, laid a peach of a ball to Alexis yesterday. But then again I am biased because I think he is beautiful.

Basically Wenger missed a trick by not buying Clyne this summer.
Original post by Zerforax

Are you being for real?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Are you being for real?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nathaniel Clyne is not as good as Bellerin, no chance. And Bellerin is just a lot ****ing hotter, cooler and just overall fabulous.
Original post by Zerforax

Not sure if srs. That would have been a step backwards.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Nathaniel Clyne is not as good as Bellerin, no chance. And Bellerin is just a lot ****ing hotter, cooler and just overall fabulous.

Yeah but who'll win in a fight?

Serious note - West Brom have spent almost 30m, Arsenal 10m. That's hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're the only club in the premier league to have brought in less than three players. We've brought in one. Cech.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
We're the only club in the premier league to have brought in less than three players. We've brought in one. Cech.

You could understand a team like Chelsea and I mean just about understand a team like Chelsea not buying alot after winning the league. However, we have been coming 4th/3rd all this time and every other team is strengthening but Wenger thinks with the same squad we can win the league?

I dont understand the logic here.
Original post by Numan786
You could understand a team like Chelsea and I mean just about understand a team like Chelsea not buying alot after winning the league. However, we have been coming 4th/3rd all this time and every other team is strengthening but Wenger thinks with the same squad we can win the league?

I dont understand the logic here.

The logic is pretty simple tbh whether it will be effective is another matter.

Wenger is basically banking on superior cohesion and familiarity within the squad to give us the edge on the pitch and in terms of mental strength. He thinks the existing squad is good enough to win the league on paper, which it is tbh. It may be the same squad but many players have improved.

He only has his eye on world class talent and blatant improvements to the squad. He won't take a punt on anything else.
The thing is though it ISN'T the same team. Since Christmas we scored the most points of any team in the pl, since Christmas we have signed Gabriel, seen the emergence of coq (which, whilst I know everyone hates the saying, IS like a new signing) and signed Cech. That's 3 players in the spine of the team. That isn't too say we shouldn't be signing anyone, but when we have Welbeck, giroud, walcott, campbell, sanchez, chambo for the front 3, and coq arteta and flam for cdm, whilst 2 of those in each category are poverty, I can see why we aren't atm.
That being said I still think we're in for a striker, but when there are only a handful who would be ideal and all are on long contracts at better, bigger teams transfer negotiations aren't going to be quick are they.
Original post by sevchenko
The logic is pretty simple tbh whether it will be effective is another matter.

Wenger is basically banking on superior cohesion and familiarity within the squad to give us the edge on the pitch and in terms of mental strength. He thinks the existing squad is good enough to win the league on paper, which it is tbh. It may be the same squad but many players have improved.

He only has his eye on world class talent and blatant improvements to the squad. He won't take a punt on anything else.

By the time we wait for and buy 1 WC player, Chelsea/City/Utd will have brought 3 in and we will be in the same position again i.e. always the 3rd/4th best team in the league. Wenger is not ruthless enough to go into the market when we're so close to winning the league and getting those 2-3 signings to win the league ala Chelsea last year.
Original post by Numan786
By the time we wait for and buy 1 WC player, Chelsea/City/Utd will have brought 3 in and we will be in the same position again i.e. always the 3rd/4th best team in the league. Wenger is not ruthless enough to go into the market when we're so close to winning the league and getting those 2-3 signings to win the league ala Chelsea last year.

Which world class players has moved to England this summer? The talent just isn't out there atm, the squad is at a pretty high level already so why add players who may or may not marginally improve the first 11 and disrupt cohesion and familiarity?

The idea that Wenger isn't "ruthless" enough is false. If the Cech deal doesn't disprove that idea I don't what does. If the talent is available he'll pounce regardless of who get's upset eg Ozil taking over AM from Santi, Alexis taking over LW from Podolski, Cech taking over GK from Ospina and Woj.

I think leinad has a point wrt the likes of Coq, Gabriel, Cech and Theo adding more quality to the sqaud because they were missing for large parts or weren't here for last season
(edited 8 years ago)
we should swoop for Illaramendi and Kalou and be done with it
Original post by leinad2012
The thing is though it ISN'T the same team. Since Christmas we scored the most points of any team in the pl, since Christmas we have signed Gabriel, seen the emergence of coq (which, whilst I know everyone hates the saying, IS like a new signing) and signed Cech. That's 3 players in the spine of the team. That isn't too say we shouldn't be signing anyone, but when we have Welbeck, giroud, walcott, campbell, sanchez, chambo for the front 3, and coq arteta and flam for cdm, whilst 2 of those in each category are poverty, I can see why we aren't atm.
That being said I still think we're in for a striker, but when there are only a handful who would be ideal and all are on long contracts at better, bigger teams transfer negotiations aren't going to be quick are they.

Coquelin isn't very good though.
Can't believe I've only just seen this. GOAT tweet.
Original post by angelfox
Coquelin isn't very good though.

Aren't many better CDM's in the league tbf.

Also, could I just make a point of saying how impressive Arteta was when he came on. Lots of people hating on him and Flam but neither has done too much wrong tbh
Original post by leinad2012
Aren't many better CDM's in the league tbf.

Also, could I just make a point of saying how impressive Arteta was when he came on. Lots of people hating on him and Flam but neither has done too much wrong tbh

Against the bigger teams they haven't done much right either. We even looked lacklustre last season against the likes of, dare I say it... Spurs.

Latest