The Student Room Group

London Metropolitan University or Leeds Beckett University (formerly Met)

Poll

Law LLB at LONDON MET OR LEEDS BECKETT (Former met)

Hi.

So long story short I have completed two years LLB at Leeds Beckett University.
I've since applied at London Met to complete my final year.

I've read how bad a uni London met is but considering I'm already at a former Met does it really matter?

Once I graduate I either plan on doing Bar or opening my own business.

Please no arrogant commenters - just be honest without being a prat.

So... London Met or should I continue at Leeds Met?

Thanks in advance
London met has a really bad rep and beckett is becoming more respected. I wouldvrather have leeds beckett on my degree certificate than london met.
Original post by thelawstudent1
Hi.

I've read how bad a uni London met is but considering I'm already at a former Met does it really matter?

Thanks in advance

London Met is why your university is now called Leeds Beckett.
Hi.

Thanks in advance

I think that many students underestimate the difficulties that might occur when transferring. I assume that you did reasonably well in your first two years so why transfer before your third year?

You will need to have a good reason to justify such a transfer. If you ask in terms of prestige I would say that Leeds Beckett is a better option. If you transfer to relocate that is an entirely different issue e.g. if you don't want to stay in Leeds and prefer to live in London but if that is the case I think that you should look at some alternatives too.

London Met is not a terrible place and there are some success stories you might want to look at
e.g. http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/why-london-met/the-london-met-experience/london-met-heroes/tunde-okewale/
http://www.legalcheek.com/2015/04/16-reasons-why-doughty-streets-tunde-okewale-is-the-most-followed-barrister-on-instagram/ )

Tunde is a London Met graduate (2:2) and now a successful barrister but he didn't move there :smile:

In my view you need a good reason to move. "does it really matter?" yes in general it does but if you plan to open your own business it probably won't matter as much.

At the end of the day you need to study where you feel more comfortable but, in general, moving on the last year to a less prestigious name can impact your career.
I've done ok, not great but enough to change my overall grade when I graduate. I'm pretty confident they will accept me on to the course as I called and explained everything to them. They then just asked for me to send my transcripts over.

To be honest the reason I don't want to stay at Leeds Beckett is because they really messed up my planned final year for me and I would really like to live in the big apple for a year lol.

To be honest the reason I don't want to stay at Leeds Beckett is because they really messed up my planned final year for me and I would really like to live in the big apple for a year lol.

Fair enough but do you have any particular reason for London Met ? Did you consider some other Universities? Did you visit the campus ?
I've done ok, not great but enough to change my overall grade when I graduate. I'm pretty confident they will accept me on to the course as I called and explained everything to them. They then just asked for me to send my transcripts over.

Can't you consider London south bank or another London expoly ? Just anything but London met! What were your alevel grades?
I would also like to throw in BPP or University of Law as an alternative to an expoly. If you intend to continue with an LPC/BPTC both are worth considering.
Original post by nulli tertius
London Met is why your university is now called Leeds Beckett.

This actually got a laugh. Kudos.
Original post by christianlaw
I would also like to throw in BPP or University of Law as an alternative to an expoly. If you intend to continue with an LPC/BPTC both are worth considering.

This is a good shout, there is a univ of Law in Leeds so you wouldnt have to move.
Hi.

Thanks in advance

Hello, just seen your post and thought I'd share my thoughts with you, to see if I can help at all.

My name's Simon and I'm currently studying an MA at London Met, I also do a bit of part time work for the uni in their marketing department (hence the official-looking avatar and formal username). The course I'm studying includes aspects of housing law, although it isn't an LLB and isn't part of the same faculty you would be at, if you did decide to join us at London Met.

If you need to move from Leeds to London then that is understandable and needn't be problematic.

I'm in a position, having studied my undergrad degree at the University of Birmingham, of being able to compare London Met to another institution and it, although a very different experience, compares more than favourably: I have relished the opportunity to anchor my learning in a city as vibrant and diverse as London and the breadth of life-experience within the student body and in the lecture theatre has made for some very engaging and mind-expanding seminar discussions. I have found, without exception, the lecturers to have a great blend of professional knowledge and a friendly, approachable style. They seem to sit comfortably in a space somewhere between "a sage on the stage" and a "guiding mentor".

I am also in a fortunate position to have met some of London Met's law graduates, one of which I have spoken to at some length as part of our #LondonMetHero initiative.

You can learn a bit more about his achievements post-uni not only from our website but also from the Twitter thread of the law firm he has set up.

Of course he isn't the only successful alumni that London Met can boast of. Below, I have taken the liberty of posting links to some of news stories relating to our law graduates:

Internship with the law firm Weightmans LLP
Success in mooting competitions

Student shortlisted for legal aid lawyer of the year
Graduate shortlisted for National Diversity Award
Great links with the legal profession

Finally, I feel it would probably be beneficial for you to hear about the course from someone who has actually studied it. Consequently, please find below an interview with a former student filmed at their graduation back in July:

[video="youtube;_lUIYg_sr2E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lUIYg_sr2E&authuser=0[/video]

I hope this is helpful, good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,
Simon
Hi.

Thanks in advance

Hello OP,

As a London Met student who just finished my first year, i cannot speak about how good Leeds Beckett is, but rather about my experiences as a law student at London Met.

Seeing as London Met is in London and you are looking to live in the big apple, I will say just the location is a great reason on its own to move here. London is a very cosmopolitan and diverse city, which is reflected in London Met's students and staff. We also have prayer rooms and cater to a multiplicity of different faiths. Plus, seeing as its London, the night life is great and there are so many different sights for non-Londoners to enjoy.

On the academic front, I have enjoyed the amount of help I have received over the months with my course. The lecturers are always available to offer advice and help if you seek it, and the location in Aldgate East is very accessible via the tube from Whitechapel, Aldgate East and Aldgate stations. Overall, I would say studying here has been a very positive experience and the university meets my academic and social needs, I hope you enjoy it as much i have.
Hi.

Thanks in advance

Hi lawstudent1,

I am an LLB Law graduate from London Met and currently doing an MA LPC at BPP. Having gone to Hertfordshire University previously, I am also in a situation to offer you some comparable advice. In 2012, when I initially started the Law LLB Hons Degree, I do admit it was very different to Hertfordshire, however change isn't necessarily always bad thing. Although the campus was in fact better at Herts with more opportunities for social networking for students, London Met focuses on the employment and careers side of things.

That's not to say you can't have a good time going out at London Met, there are always various events going on, even in their own Rocket Bar in Holloway.

From my own personal experience, I have been to my careers and advice department various times here: they are never short of vacancies and application forms to give me for roles in my desired field (legal training jobs).

Admittedly, it is not the best university in the rankings table. However, it is also true that there have been many success stories from the university in the law field, and the careers staff are always more than willing to give helpful advice.

Also, I have found the the teaching standards of London Met to be very personalised: the teacher/student relationship I had with my lecturers was very friendly and it definitely met my desired academic needs which I found to be very helpful.

I hope this was useful, feel free to ask any further questions you may have, good luck!
London Met and the student/graduate: what a fantastic reply. A very impressive video too. Congratulations for your outstanding reply.
If I were the OP I would seriously consider this "London calling" :smile:
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello, just seen your post and thought I'd share my thoughts with you, to see if I can help at all.

My name's Simon and I'm currently studying an MA at London Met, I also do a bit of part time work for the uni in their marketing department (hence the official-looking avatar and formal username). The course I'm studying includes aspects of housing law, although it isn't an LLB and isn't part of the same faculty you would be at, if you did decide to join us at London Met.

If you need to move from Leeds to London then that is understandable and needn't be problematic.

I'm in a position, having studied my undergrad degree at the University of Birmingham, of being able to compare London Met to another institution and it, although a very different experience, compares more than favourably: I have relished the opportunity to anchor my learning in a city as vibrant and diverse as London and the breadth of life-experience within the student body and in the lecture theatre has made for some very engaging and mind-expanding seminar discussions. I have found, without exception, the lecturers to have a great blend of professional knowledge and a friendly, approachable style. They seem to sit comfortably in a space somewhere between "a sage on the stage" and a "guiding mentor".

I am also in a fortunate position to have met some of London Met's law graduates, one of which I have spoken to at some length as part of our #LondonMetHero initiative.

You can learn a bit more about his achievements post-uni not only from our website but also from the Twitter thread of the law firm he has set up.

Of course he isn't the only successful alumni that London Met can boast of. Below, I have taken the liberty of posting links to some of news stories relating to our law graduates:

Internship with the law firm Weightmans LLP
Success in mooting competitions

Student shortlisted for legal aid lawyer of the year
Graduate shortlisted for National Diversity Award
Great links with the legal profession

Finally, I feel it would probably be beneficial for you to hear about the course from someone who has actually studied it. Consequently, please find below an interview with a former student filmed at their graduation back in July:

[video="youtube;_lUIYg_sr2E"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lUIYg_sr2E&authuser=0[/video]

I hope this is helpful, good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,
Simon

Thank you for the information. I am hoping to transfer once they confirm I have been accepted.

The only other thing that concerns me is the cost of living in London aside from that it sounds like the student services would actually help me achieve my desired final grade.

Maybe you could help me find a job if I do become a student at the Met.
Does anyone thing transferring for my final year will be detrimental to my studying? I don't want to get lost in the big apple now do I! Lol
Does anyone thing transferring for my final year will be detrimental to my studying? I don't want to get lost in the big apple now do I! Lol

I think it could be detrimental. If I am not mistaken @ Leeds Beckett in year 3 you only have 2 core modules
1)Dissertation/Extended Study and 2) Property Law & the Home
so you should have completed EU law and equity & trust in year 2 right ?

Apparently at London Met Equity and Trusts and European Union Law are in year 3 (http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2015/llb-law---hons/) I assume that you will get exemption but you should do some further homework and compare the two.

You should also compare the exams weighting: is the mark 100% by exam or do you have an intermediate assessment? How does that compare to Leeds Beckett?

From my personal experience the devil is in the detail. Some Universities have a more friendly examination system (e.g. 2 hours vs. 3 hours exams, partially seen examination) than others. Take this into account before the move.

There is also the option to finish your LLB at Leeds (you only have 2 core, one of which is a dissertation) and go to the big apple for your LPC.

I just think you should sort out all these issues before making the move so you won't end up with a surprise re: different assessment policy/curriculum in year 3.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by christianlaw
I think it could be detrimental. If I am not mistaken @ Leeds Beckett in year 3 you only have 2 core modules
1)Dissertation/Extended Study and 2) Property Law & the Home
so you should have completed EU law and equity & trust in year 2 right ?

Apparently at London Met Equity and Trusts and European Union Law are in year 3 (http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/2015/llb-law---hons/) I assume that you will get exemption but you should do some further homework and compare the two.

You should also compare the exams weighting: is the mark 100% by exam or do you have an intermediate assessment? How does that compare to Leeds Beckett?

From my personal experience the devil is in the detail. Some Universities have a more friendly examination system (e.g. 2 hours vs. 3 hours exams, partially seen examination) than others. Take this into account before the move.

There is also the option to finish your LLB at Leeds (you only have 2 core, one of which is a dissertation) and go to the big apple for your LPC.

I just think you should sort out all these issues before making the move so you won't end up with a surprise re: different assessment policy/curriculum in year 3.

To be honest with you the grading system at most universities in my opinion just needs to be given a little time for you to understand how you can milk it.

Currently for my final year I have the core module and I have chosen 5 other separate modules which consist of written assessments.

I won't be doing my LPC - hopefully I want to start BPTC.

I have also noticed that London South Bank university has almost identical modules to the previous two years I have already completed.

Could London South Bank be a game changer?

I'm from the North so I don't know a lot about London.
Thank you for the information. I am hoping to transfer once they confirm I have been accepted.

The only other thing that concerns me is the cost of living in London aside from that it sounds like the student services would actually help me achieve my desired final grade.

Maybe you could help me find a job if I do become a student at the Met.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

It's true that London can be expensive, but there are definitely ways of living well, cheaply: if there's one thing that a city of this size does well, it's giving you options. The bargains are there, it's just finding them that can be tricky.

The major expense for me is cost of rent/housing. However, the University does have an Accommodation Bureau that can be really helpful in assisting you to find a place that meets your budget and location needs. So, if you haven't got anywhere to live sorted yet I'd say that getting in touch with them would be a great first step.

On the job front, London Met is a London Living Wage Employer which means that working part time for the uni during your study is financially worthwhile (I suppose it's obvious I would think that, as that is what I'm doing :smile:). There are a couple of ways to do this, one is through the Student Ambassador Scheme and the other is by joining Met Temps. Both of these have proved very lucrative for me, and led to a more formal position in the marketing department, so I heartily recommend them.

I have found working for the uni has helped me get the cash flow I need to pay my living expenses, but because they are a uni, they also appreciate that I need to prioritise my course (I'm writing my dissertation at the moment, and they have let me move my hours around to accommodate this and work flexibly without batting an eye). That said, there is also plenty of shift work etc. around for you to pick up some part time work, if you need it: there is a bar or coffee shop every few steps, or so.

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending