The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fha96

I just sent them both to increase my chances of getting 1 extra mark. Tbh I thought I would have done worse in C3 and better in C4, I was certain I got at least 94 UMS in C4. Lol if they go up by 5 in one and down by 5 in the other then I'll easily be the unluckiest guy on the planet

Will your remarks be back in time for UCL to still change their decision? Hope it works out good for you. :smile:
I think I messed up my application. I got A*A*B (maths history economics, don't ask about the B in economics!) and I'm going to Cardiff.

Just as time goes on Cardiff's low ranking is really getting to me. Yeah the graduate prospects are great and the research is very good but it doesn't even make the top 10 for overall ranking in economics.

Plus my accommodation looks ****.

I was in adjustment and had offers from some very reputable universities but I turned them all down. Now I just feel like in going to waste three years getting a mediocre degree in shirty accommodation.

Does anyone have any experience with Cardiff business school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra
I think I messed up my application. I got A*A*B (maths history economics, don't ask about the B in economics!) and I'm going to Cardiff.

Just as time goes on Cardiff's low ranking is really getting to me. Yeah the graduate prospects are great and the research is very good but it doesn't even make the top 10 for overall ranking in economics.

I was in adjustment and had offers from some very reputable universities but I turned them all down. Now I just feel like in going to waste three years getting a mediocre degree in shirty accommodation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then why did you turn down the other offers? Which unis?
Original post by Mike_123
Then why did you turn down the other offers? Which unis?

Durham and Exeter.

I didn't want to worry about sorting accommodation out, in adjustment you aren't guaranteed a place.
Original post by cacra
Durham and Exeter.

I didn't want to worry about sorting accommodation out, in adjustment you aren't guaranteed a place.

You dun goofed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got your economics remark back yet? (Sorry for asking lol)
Original post by Mitzy09
Have you got your economics remark back yet? (Sorry for asking lol)

Not even sent it off, I'm in no rush.
Original post by Princepieman
You dun goofed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by cacra
Not even sent it off, I'm in no rush.

Oh right, it's just I remember you saying you got an A in economics on the ECON4 thread?
Original post by Mitzy09
Oh right, it's just I remember you saying you got an A in economics on the ECON4 thread?

No, Economics was the subject I got a B in. Despite getting almost 100% in the first year.

Still pretty pissed tbh
Original post by cacra
Durham and Exeter.

They're not gonna let you live on the streets! Worst thing that could happen is living in private accoms
They're not gonna let you live on the streets! Worst thing that could happen is living in private accoms

Yep, I messed up.

I think Cardiff's economics course ranks about level with Exeter and Durham on the things that matter; graduate prospects, research, ect. but still...
Original post by cacra
No, Economics was the subject I got a B in. Despite getting almost 100% in the first year.

Still pretty pissed tbh

What exam board?

Edexcel have messed around with the marking big time.
Original post by Windies
What exam board?

Edexcel have messed around with the marking big time.

AQA, I got a D in Econ 4...

You getting a remark?
Reply 3834
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Will your remarks be back in time for UCL to still change their decision? Hope it works out good for you. :smile:

Thank you! The max time it should take is 18 days, so I should have it back before the 31st of august, which is the final university deadline to get a place. However UCL said they can't hold places so even if my remark is successful, I may have to wait til next year to actually go there. Lol life is so peak rn, I'm just hoping for the best
Original post by fha96
Thank you! The max time it should take is 18 days, so I should have it back before the 31st of august, which is the final university deadline to get a place. However UCL said they can't hold places so even if my remark is successful, I may have to wait til next year to actually go there. Lol life is so peak rn, I'm just hoping for the best

Good luck!

Do you have any plans for a gap year if you don't get in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cacra
Yep, I messed up.

I think Cardiff's economics course ranks about level with Exeter and Durham on the things that matter; graduate prospects, research, ect. but still...

Graduate prospects are misleading. Those graduating from Exeter and Durham are far more likely to be entering graduate-level jobs (for economics, most likely city jobs), whilst Cardiff it would be a very different story. Looking at the median/mean salary of economic graduates would tell more of the story.

According to this website (they're pretty accurate), the differnce between the average salary of econ grads @ cardiff and durham is 8k

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007143FT-L100/ReturnTo/Search
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007814FT-UFBCECNA/ReturnTo/Search
(edited 8 years ago)
Graduate prospects are misleading. Those graduating from Exeter and Durham are far more likely to be entering graduate-level jobs (for economics, most likely city jobs), whilst Cardiff it would be a very different story. Looking at the median/mean salary of economic graduates would tell more of the story.

According to this website (they're pretty accurate), the differnce between the average salary of econ grads @ cardiff and durham is 8k

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007143FT-L100/ReturnTo/Search
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007814FT-UFBCECNA/ReturnTo/Search

Damn, that's a big difference :tongue:

Hey what's the difference between BA and BSc when it comes to employability?
I'm sure this has been asked already but has anyone received a reading list yet?
Original post by hannahtetteh
I'm sure this has been asked already but has anyone received a reading list yet?

I got one a day or two after results day, not sure how many of them to buy now and how many to look for at uni in librairies/borrowing. Have you not got yours yet? If not, it should come in a few days/weeks so dw. What uni are you going to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending