The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSR Mustafa
Anyone into the summer releases?
Gangsta , Charlotte and Prison School are my favs atm , particularly prison school , tht **** is so funny

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats prison school about? I been hearing alot about this anime,it seems good.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Best thing i can say go and watch it , you will die laughing.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

you can check myanimelist for the summary, all I'm going to say is don't watch it with your grandparents haha
Original post by Aiko
I've randomly decided to place all of the reviews I wrote ages ago onto a Wordpress blog, which you can view here:

https://kouhyou.wordpress.com/

It's unlikely I'll write any more, but it's nice to have them altogether in one place. :smile:

For those unaware, these were written in the Anime Reviews thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=491524

Be assured to have a look as there's many more reviews there written by past and present members. :yes:

Cool stuff, do you read reviews before you watch stuff? (Questions applies to everyone here really)

I rarely read reviews before I start watching something, usually it's a quick read of the first paragraph that summaries what someone likes, and if a lot agree then I go along and try it out for myself. I might start writing reviews, I like reading them after I've watched something to pick up things I missed or to agree/disagree with other peoples opinions :smile:

I like the layout of your review blog, also recognise a few so will have a read, thanks for sharing!
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Cool stuff, do you read reviews before you watch stuff? (Questions applies to everyone here really)

Not usually, as I'm afraid I'll end up reading spoilers!

I used to read reviews at the end of a series for the same reasons as you, but increasingly (for ongoing series, at least) I find myself reading the episode discussions on MAL every week instead. Not for every episode of every series I'm watching, usually just my favourites, or if something fairly major happens in an episode and I'm curious about the rest of the fanbase's reactions. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Not usually, as I'm afraid I'll end up reading spoilers!

I used to read reviews at the end of a series for the same reasons as you, but increasingly (for ongoing series, at least) I find myself reading the episode discussions on MAL every week instead. Not for every episode of every series I'm watching, usually just my favourites, or if something fairly major happens in an episode and I'm curious about the rest of the fanbase's reactions. :yes:

Episode discussions?! That's gutsy. I'm always worried about spoilers but I suppose it's more I just cba with MAL's forums :tongue: Now that I think about it, I do often scroll down the comments section of an episode I've just watched on the websites I use to stream, I think I've had some spoilers but they were either small or I avoided the series long enough to forget about them. With airing anime (which I try to avoid) I don't do this because I assume it's riskier and the moderation will be less reliable (especially popular anime) but with previous aired anime it's generally safe
Episode discussions?! That's gutsy. I'm always worried about spoilers but I suppose it's more I just cba with MAL's forums :tongue: Now that I think about it, I do often scroll down the comments section of an episode I've just watched on the websites I use to stream, I think I've had some spoilers but they were either small or I avoided the series long enough to forget about them. With airing anime (which I try to avoid) I don't do this because I assume it's riskier and the moderation will be less reliable (especially popular anime) but with previous aired anime it's generally safe

The moderating on MAL seems pretty good, either that or the posters do a good job of keeping to the rules. I've never had anything spoiled on there... so far at least. :p: They mostly just comment on that specific episode.
Death Note seems to be picking up again for the finale. There were a few slow episodes around the late 20's but it seems to be back on track. Like a snail I will finish it eventually.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Death Note seems to be picking up again for the finale. There were a few slow episodes around the late 20's but it seems to be back on track. Like a snail I will finish it eventually.

I watched this recently, what do you think? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are some good series around 50 episodes long? I want some longer series to watch between all the shorter stuff but nothing too long. The only ones I've already watched around this length are Nana and Cross Game.
Original post by Red Fox
What are some good series around 50 episodes long? I want some longer series to watch between all the shorter stuff but nothing too long. The only ones I've already watched around this length are Nana and Cross Game.

A lot of older classics are around about 50 episodes long - e.g. space opera Captain Harlock, shoujo staple Rose of Versailles, World Masterpiece Theatre titles like Akage no Anne etc. I'd recommend any of the above, but if you'd prefer something newer, there's also the likes of Eureka Seven, Beelzebub and Soul Eater.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
A lot of older classics are around about 50 episodes long - e.g. space opera Captain Harlock, shoujo staple Rose of Versailles, World Masterpiece Theatre titles like Akage no Anne etc. I'd recommend any of the above, but if you'd prefer something newer, there's also the likes of Eureka Seven, Beelzebub and Soul Eater.

Cheers:smile:
Original post by Black Rose
I watched this recently, what do you think? :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's pretty good. I try to avoid stuff that people hype as people (myself included) have poor taste and like to yap on about stuff :tongue: I'm throughly enjoying this though unlike Monster, which didn't quite cut it for me.
Reply 9693

I rarely read reviews before I start watching something, usually it's a quick read of the first paragraph that summaries what someone likes, and if a lot agree then I go along and try it out for myself. I might start writing reviews, I like reading them after I've watched something to pick up things I missed or to agree/disagree with other peoples opinions :smile:

I like the layout of your review blog, also recognise a few so will have a read, thanks for sharing!

No, I don’t read reviews before picking something up, mainly because I generally try to watch the first episode of everything that’s airing, anyway. In fact, I’m not very picky when it comes to anime and can pretty much enjoy anything. It’s more of a question of time these days if I’m not watching something. That said, I always make sure to watch the PV and to check the staff/studio behind an anime, especially the seiyuu. I also factor the source material. But yeah, I don’t read reviews myself.

I’m glad you like the layout of the blog. The reviews themselves are far from perfect and weren’t really meant to be overly comprehensive. I didn’t even proof read them. :tongue: I guess I just wanted to archive them somewhere for my own purposes and figured I’d share them. It’s also a shame that the reviews thread died off. It was a great idea by AJ. :yes:
Reply 9694
Original post by Red Fox

In addition to those AJ recommended, Blood+, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Nana, Hikaru no Go, Great Teacher Onizuka, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi come to mind and are around 50 episodes (I think). If you're willing to stretch a bit further, Monster is definitely worth seeing, if you haven't already (and should have really been around 50 episodes, in my opinion). Oh, and a lot of the Gundam series are around 50 episodes.
Original post by Aiko
In addition to those AJ recommended, Blood+, Kemono no Sou-ja Erin, Nana, Hikaru no Go, Great Teacher Onizuka, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi come to mind and are around 50 episodes (I think). If you're willing to stretch a bit further, Monster is definitely worth seeing, if you haven't already (and should have really been around 50 episodes, in my opinion). Oh, and a lot of the Gundam series are around 50 episodes.

Thanks. I watched Whisper of the Heart after reading your review and enjoyed it:smile:.
Reply 9696
Original post by Red Fox
Thanks. I watched Whisper of the Heart after reading your review and enjoyed it:smile:.

I'm glad my review of the film prompted you to watch it. It's a great film. :smile:
I finished Punch Line earlier, one of the few cases where my inability to drop shows I don't like actually paid off. It was no Steins;Gate, but the story was interesting nonetheless. I just wonder whether all the pants were really necessary...

Original post by Aiko
It’s also a shame that the reviews thread died off. It was a great idea by AJ. :yes:

Cheers, it was fun while it lasted. And technically still there if people want to contribute, unless the mods still dislike bumping old threads? :dontknow: I don't have the time to sit down and write anything decent at the moment, though.
Well Death Note is finished at long last. Overall a 4/5 but with some issues... Read spoilers at own peril - Aldnoah Zero spoilers included for some reason.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Just finished Nobunaga Concerto! I really enjoyed it thanks for the recommendation!

Just sad it cuts off :frown: .
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest