The Student Room Group

when should you start revising and preparing

Hey, I know it's early to be asking but I did one GCSE this year but I know it is going to be completely different next year, when I do all of my ten more. So I was wondering when you think the best time to start preparing and revising would be. Thank you.
I would say start actively revising over what you've been studying around January, if you cover everything, then move on to past papers, then mark what you've got wrong and note the topics, then study them hard. You'll be set.
what year are in
don't slack off from the beginning. From Sep to Dec don't really revise, just go over all class work and finish hwk on time. From Jan onwards revise the content, learn it repeatedly, do past papers, watch videos, quiz friends, listen to podcasts, make mindmaps and flash cards etc. Start around Jan and you wont find yourself stressing the night before the exam
As well as revising somewhat for your mocks, it'd probably be best to start compiling actual revision notes (posters, flashcards etc.) in January. Then once you feel you have made an adequate amount of notes, start working through past papers for as many subjects as possible. Then, you can start to identify your weaknesses and work on them more thoroughly. Ideally, by the time you've got up to about Easter, you already have lots of notes prepared and a very strong idea of what you need to focus your revision on.

Of course, it's different for many people, and you may feel better starting off earlier or later.

I somehow managed to leave a lot of revision and note-preparation (other than for mocks) up until around Easter, but I still thought I did okay. Although it was more stressful than it should have been.

So that's why I just recommend making notes earlier on, and then focussing on past papers and whatever revision works for you (make sure you figure out how you can best revise by testing out different methods when you go through your mocks).

Just remember that unless you want to get into Oxbridge or whatever, GCSEs aren't the be-all and end-all. Don't stress out over them too much, especially since schools can overstate their importance a little too much, and pressure you at really early stages.

Don't revise too early unless you leave yourself nice gaps for breaks, or you know you can handle it.

The last thing you want is being "burned out" before you do your actual exams.

When you get to the exams, just remember that it's pretty much a past paper, just with a new and unfamiliar date on!

Good luck, you'll be fine! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by BroJoeJoe
As well as revising somewhat for your mocks, it'd probably be best to start compiling actual revision notes (posters, flashcards etc.) in January. Then once you feel you have made an adequate amount of notes, start working through past papers for as many subjects as possible. Then, you can start to identify your weaknesses and work on them more thoroughly. Ideally, by the time you've got up to about Easter, you already have lots of notes prepared and a very strong idea of what you need to focus your revision on.

Of course, it's different for many people, and you may feel better starting off earlier or later.

I somehow managed to leave a lot of revision and note-preparation (other than for mocks) up until around Easter, but I still thought I did okay. Although it was more stressful than it should have been.

So that's why I just recommend making notes earlier on, and then focussing on past papers and whatever revision works for you (make sure you figure out how you can best revise by testing out different methods when you go through your mocks).

Just remember that unless you want to get into Oxbridge or whatever, GCSEs aren't the be-all and end-all. Don't stress out over them too much, especially since schools can overstate their importance a little too much, and pressure you at really early stages.

Don't revise too early unless you leave yourself nice gaps for breaks, or you know you can handle it.

The last thing you want is being "burned out" before you do your actual exams.

When you get to the exams, just remember that it's pretty much a past paper, just with a new and unfamiliar date on!

Good luck, you'll be fine! :biggrin:

Thank you that was extremely useful advice. I very much appreciate it.
Reply 6
Original post by zebby1999
don't slack off from the beginning. From Sep to Dec don't really revise, just go over all class work and finish hwk on time. From Jan onwards revise the content, learn it repeatedly, do past papers, watch videos, quiz friends, listen to podcasts, make mindmaps and flash cards etc. Start around Jan and you wont find yourself stressing the night before the exam

Thank you that was very useful advice. Much appreciated. I was just wondering when you did your GCSEs did those four months enable you to have plenty of time at the end to the build up of exams. Also, do you wish you started earlier?
Thanks again.
Original post by immy1140
Thank you that was very useful advice. Much appreciated. I was just wondering when you did your GCSEs did those four months enable you to have plenty of time at the end to the build up of exams. Also, do you wish you started earlier?
Thanks again.

I was an idiot in terms of revison, I started after Easter. My friends who started in Jan found it really easy because remember the teachers help you with revision as well. Yup, Jan onwards was more than enough time
HELL YEAH I WISH I STARTED EARLIER THAN EASTER, probably would have loved starting at around Jam, during the holidays
Reply 8
Original post by immy1140
Hey, I know it's early to be asking but I did one GCSE this year but I know it is going to be completely different next year, when I do all of my ten more. So I was wondering when you think the best time to start preparing and revising would be. Thank you.

Not until march/ april time. You got loads of time to relax.
There's also the argument that always floats around: "don't leave GCSE revision until the last minute, because it isn't good practice, and it won't work well at all for A-Level."

I guess it's great to get into good habits. :tongue:

But yes, even if you feel you can leave it up to the last minute, I still wouldn't advise it. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest