The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyx
In my AS Levels, I got UMS marks in the high 90s in all modules, but apparently Oxford doesn't take UMS marks into account. Could I ask my teacher referee to mention these in her reference, or would it be a waste of space? Thank you!

They can take it into account if you provide it, they just don't use it in the mechanistic way that Cambridge does. It's definitely a good idea to put it in the reference.
Original post by Magnesium
Hi there,I was wondering how much predicted grades are taken into account with an application. For instance if the school were to only predict A*A for maths and further instead of the A*A* required, would this count against the application?

Yes it would - applicants must be predicted the standard offer. We have known selectors to ask schools to confirm the predicted grade if an applicant has done very well in other aspects of the application, particularly admissions tests. But it is best to check that your school is predicting the standard offer and that the UCAS form carries the correct prediction.
Reply 1642
In the Irish GCSE equivalent, there is no A*, as such, only A's etc. How does this impact Iris students when company GCSE to Irish Junior Certificate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hh510
In the Irish GCSE equivalent, there is no A*, as such, only A's etc. How does this impact Iris students when company GCSE to Irish Junior Certificate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, Oxford will take in to account the different exams and the subsequent corresponding grades to GCSEs! Ádh mór.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, does anyone think a C at AS will let me down? I got AAAAC, at GCSE 10 A*s 1 A
Starting medicine at LMH in October! Anything you guys want to know, feel free to ask, would love to dish some advice!!
Original post by 雷尼克
Hi, does anyone think a C at AS will let me down? I got AAAAC, at GCSE 10 A*s 1 A

No, unless the C is in a subject relevant to what you're applying for.
Reply 1647
Original post by aasvogel
Don't worry, Oxford will take in to account the different exams and the subsequent corresponding grades to GCSEs! Ádh mór.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So where does 10A's 1B stand in the grand scheme of things? Go raibh míle
Original post by hh510
So where does 10A's 1B stand in the grand scheme of things? Go raibh míle

I'm not familiar with the Junior Cert grades (I'm up North) but if an A is top grade then I would imagine that equates to about 10A* and 1A which is a top set of results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
10A* 2As
AAAB (Extenuating circumstances throughout the year, which worsened during exam season as well as unexpected tragedy)
Is it worth applying for PPE?
Original post by Ecconomist
I have seriously considered it before but I think it is too risky to do pure management, effectively a subject I've never studied before but only read about and I hope you can understand where I'm coming from. Nethertheless people do it, really enjoy it and a management degree from LSE must open so many doors!

Yeah, I agree. I think any degree from somewhere like LSE should open doors, or atleast I hope so!
Reply 1651
Original post by aasvogel
I'm not familiar with the Junior Cert grades (I'm up North) but if an A is top grade then I would imagine that equates to about 10A* and 1A which is a top set of results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any views on which colleges offer most decent accommodation for First Years? Thank u
Original post by WinterApproaches
10A* 2As
AAAB (Extenuating circumstances throughout the year, which worsened during exam season as well as unexpected tragedy)

Definitely worth applying. Make sure you ace the TSA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WinterApproaches
10A* 2As

Good luck, I'm applying too. What A levels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecconomist
Are you saying Durham and Bristol will offer you a place of your choice because you have done their summer schools?

Indeed, I am. :ahee:
All I need to do is get the grades now.
"Guaranteed OffersAny student who is accepted onto and participates in Durham University’s Sutton Trust Summer School will receive a guaranteed standard offer if they subsequently apply to Durham University. For students to be eligible to receive a guaranteed standard offer, it is expected that they will meet or be in a position to meet all the general entry requirements (e.g. required A-level subjects) for their chosen programme. Some exceptions or additional requirements may apply (e.g. satisfactory admissions test performance or satisfactory interview for those programmes that require it)." -Taken off Durham's website.
And, the Bristol summer school was in year 11, so it isn't the Sutton Trust one - but they sent out documents which confirm this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Olax98
Indeed, I am. :ahee:
All I need to do is get the grades now.
"Guaranteed OffersAny student who is accepted onto and participates in Durham University’s Sutton Trust Summer School will receive a guaranteed standard offer if they subsequently apply to Durham University. For students to be eligible to receive a guaranteed standard offer, it is expected that they will meet or be in a position to meet all the general entry requirements (e.g. required A-level subjects) for their chosen programme. Some exceptions or additional requirements may apply (e.g. satisfactory admissions test performance or satisfactory interview for those programmes that require it)." -Taken off Durham's website.
And, the Bristol summer school was in year 11, so it isn't the Sutton Trust one - but they sent out documents which confirm this.

Fair enough, not heard of that before. That's so useful to fall back on, especially for competitive subjects such as law.

Good luck then! :smile:
anyone know what it's like studying English Lit at St John's or LMH?
Depending on which place you want most, focus heavily on your enthusiasm and ability for that subject.
Original post by iBall
Do you have grade profiles for E&M

I would also like to see this. Has it been posted - I can't seem to find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest