The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Thank you. But that's where the difficulty lies, I do nothing but be a friend, but it's those who get close to me who get hurt, and I don't know how to stop that other than to distance myself which is difficult. If I could put 'think before you do' into a more practical sense where I can actually use it at the correct instance that'd be great but it happens so fast.

Do you mean they get attached to you romantically? Or they start to rely on your more than you can (or want to) be there for them?
Original post by SophieSmall
Do you mean they get attached to you romantically? Or they start to rely on your more than you can (or want to) be there for them?

Some non-romantic, but often it is romantically.
Some non-romantic, but often it is romantically.

Well, people can't help who they fall for. Same way you can't help if people fall for you. So that's certainly not your fault. All you can do is be as clear as possible you're not interested in them that way. Unfortunately this often doesn't work, or the friendship deteriorates. But again, not your fault.

As for people becoming reliant on you, that's on them too. Friends aren't in my opinion supposed to be 24/7 crutches. All you can do is be as good a friend as possible within reason, is someone is expecting more from you than you can give then that's unfortunate. But it happens.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SophieSmall
Well, people can't help who they fall for. Same way you can't help if people fall for you. So that's certainly not your fault. All you can do is be as clear as possible you're not interested in them that way. Unfortunately this often doesn't work, or the friendship deteriorates. But again, not your fault.

As for people becoming reliant on you, that's on them too. Friends aren't in my opinion supposed to be 24/7 crutches. All you can do is be as good a friend as possible within reason, is someone is expecting more from you than you can give then that's unfortunate. But it happens.

So in short, I can't do anything about this and I just have to deal with friends coming and going?
My back hurts.
So in short, I can't do anything about this and I just have to deal with friends coming and going?

To some extent yes, I mean you can take measures to prevent it happening. But you can't control other people.
For example try to avoid making friends with women who are emotionally unstable or clearly looking for a partner. And if you do meet these kind of women, be clear from the get go that you're not interested. Try not to be constantly available for people, especially if your availabilty is likely to change. Just stuff like that :smile:
Reply 6226
Original post by RainbowKiwi
My back hurts.

So does mine! Old age or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by At.8
So does mine! Old age or something
Posted from TSR Mobile

What can we do about our backs? :frown:
Reply 6228
What can we do about our backs? :frown:

Idk :frown: we're old now. It's time to get walking sticks. Buy me one for my birthday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by At.8
Idk :frown: we're old now. It's time to get walking sticks. Buy me one for my birthday?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I need a back massage tho. Will give that a try before I buy any walking sticks :frown:
Reply 6230
I think I need a back massage tho. Will give that a try before I buy any walking sticks :frown:

You are full of great ideas kiwi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by At.8
You are full of great ideas kiwi
Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you're doing. Buttering me up so I'll buy you that walking stick eh? Tut tut :lol:
Reply 6232
I see what you're doing. Buttering me up so I'll buy you that walking stick eh? Tut tut :lol:

Hahaha. You're too smart

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by At.8
Hahaha. You're too smart
Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye missy :shakecane:
:hoppy:
People get attached to me, and I reciprocate, and they get feelings and start to love me. But the moment someone else gets my attention I leave them without a second thought. I never intend to hurt people but I never think before doing. And I talk to these new people and the cycle repeats while I talk less and less to the previous, whose hearts I've been given and crush them and thrown them aside without a glance.

I've hurt so many people and all I want is friends, I can make them really easily but I don't know how to keep them when they get close. I shouldn't get close to people.

Oh dear. :frown: How do you 'reciprocate'? Just in a friendly way or ...? You can't be responsible for other people falling for you unless you go round sweeping girls purposefully off their feet :lol:

Maybe try to hold women at arm's length more? You're not a bad person :h:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Oh dear. :frown: How do you 'reciprocate'? Just in a friendly way or ...? You can't be responsible for other people falling for you unless you go round sweeping girls purposefully off their feet :lol:

Maybe try to hold women at arm's length more? You're not a bad person :h:

Well, I mean maybe I'm too friendly? Apparently I flirt a lot but I just think I'm being polite and friendly. I don't know. I don't really get along as well with guys
Tired but not sleeping
Really, really low.
Bored

Latest