The Student Room Group

URGENT! Any Sixth Forms or Colleges in London that allow Year 12 resits?!

I apologize for making many thread, but I really need to know if there are any colleges within London (preferably East London) that allow retaking year 12 since I flunked my AS results.

I currently go to Havering sixth form but I hate it so much I honestly cannot bear to go back there. I've heard that City and Islington and Leyton do retakes but when I contacted them they said they didn't do that anymore, so If anyone knows where else I can redo my AS year I would really appreciate you letting me know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by minaeshi
I apologize for making many thread, but I really need to know if there are any colleges within London (preferably East London) that allow retaking year 12 since I flunked my AS results.

I currently go to Havering sixth form but I hate it so much I honestly cannot bear to go back there. I've heard that City and Islington and Leyton do retakes but when I contacted them they said they didn't do that anymore, so If anyone knows where else I can redo my AS year I would really appreciate you letting me know!

Do you mind disclosing your As grades, cos you might not have to retake the whole year. You can transfer colleges and retakes specific modules.

Bsix does retakes but i highly recommend that you don't go there. I've heard people say that they've preferred havering compared to bsix
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by kemi28
Do you mind disclosing your As grades, cos you might not have to retake the whole year. You can transfer colleges and retakes specific modules

My grades were horrible, D's, E's and a U. I definitely won't be able to get into any of the uni's i've chosen if I continue with these grades, and I would really like to retake the whole year again.
Reply 3
Newvic

You can go there with 4 U's and get in.
Reply 4
My grades were horrible, D's, E's and a U. I definitely won't be able to get into any of the uni's i've chosen if I continue with these grades, and I would really like to retake the whole year again.

I got CDEE last year, went onto and applied to unis such as aston and liverpool which required AAB-ABB.

You can still go onto A2 and retake specific modules. what are your uni options?
Reply 5

Caterham high school in Clayhall . The school turns no one down! Half the ye 12s are resits
Reply 6
Original post by Windies
Newvic

You can go there with 4 U's and get in.

Newvic doesn't have the courses I want to do.

Original post by kemi28
I got CDEE last year, went onto and applied to unis such as aston and liverpool which required AAB-ABB.

You can still go onto A2 and retake specific modules. what are your uni options?

I'm an Art/English based student so my uni options right now are;
Central Saint Martins
London College of Fashion
Ravensbourne
Kingston
Brighton
Loughborough
Keele
Exeter
Westminster
Leeds
Arts university Bournemouth
Nourthumbria

Of couse when the time comes I'll narrow it down, but those are my options and for the courses I want to take you need at least A*AA - BBB in all of those uni's

Original post by Emmy_96
Caterham high school in Clayhall . The school turns no one down! Half the ye 12s are resits

Thank's, I'll check this one out~
Reply 7
Newvic doesn't have the courses I want to do.

I'm an Art/English based student so my uni options right now are;
Central Saint Martins
London College of Fashion
Ravensbourne
Kingston
Brighton
Loughborough
Keele
Exeter
Westminster
Leeds
Arts university Bournemouth
Nourthumbria

Of couse when the time comes I'll narrow it down, but those are my options and for the courses I want to take you need at least A*AA - BBB in all of those uni's

Thank's, I'll check this one out~

i applied to keele for english and psychology and they offered me english and american literature because they said that my predicted grades was enough to do psychology. I forgot to add, try to convince your teachers to predict you at least bbb and maybe ask your tutor to make up a little sob story or something or in your personal statement mention something like you're totally responsible for the way things turned out during your As year and demonstrate that you have the ability to turn it around during A2
(edited 8 years ago)

Hope you don't mind me asking, what is it about havering sixth form that you do not like? I could be going there this September to repeat year 12. I was going to suggest Bsix too but it's way worse to be honest. This pretty much sums up the school:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3545545
Half of the students there are repeats too so you may feel a bit more comfortable as you'd have many people the same age as you who went through a similar thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Cherry82
Hope you don't mind me asking, what is it about havering sixth form that you do not like? I could be going there this September to repeat year 12. I was going to suggest Bsix too but it's way worse to be honest. This pretty much sums up the school:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58608125&highlight=bsix

Half of the students there are repeats too so you may feel a bit more comfortable as you'd have many people the same age as you who went through a similar thing.

I looked at B6 as a final resort (lol) but they don't have the subjects I want to take ^^;

Honestly, I didn't enjoy it at all. Before continuing I should mention that some teachers are really great and they helped me out a lot (If you do end up going there, look out for Keeley, Tina, Moriom, and Anna!).

The college itself is very unorganized. You tend to find out things through word of mouth and not an actual announcement. Canteen food is horrid (well, it's great if you want to be unhealthy). Most teachers don't really care about you, but more so what grades you get, so they're not helpful when your distressed. Higher ups only care about the grades, so if there is any sign of you failing they'll try to push you out of the course, or worse the college. They take a lot more students than what they can manage, so it's overcrowded (which makes it even more unorganized). The students are really divided. White people from essex in one side, Black & Asian people on the other. If you end up getting bullied in a class, don't expect the teacher to help you.

Honestly, it's bearable, and i got through it because of the 4 teachers I mentioned + great friends. I wouldn't want to go back there though, which is why I'm trying to switch college. All of this being said, it's possible to do well at the college, one guy I know got into Cambridge with A*'s.
Reply 10

Do not listen to people telling you not to repeat the year. It is incredibly hard and in most cases unrealistic to think you can make up for Ds Es and Us in A2 year. it is more sensible to repeat year 12 like you said. I got Ds in my AS 6 years ago and thought I could make up for it but failed again. So I repeated A2 with different subjects started fresh. There's no harm repeating the year and I went on to graduate uni with a first. So there is hope don't feel too upset. About colleges I am not sure about East London but I know places like stanmore college and park high sixth form in Harrow accepts retakes I have a few others in mind in South East but im not sure how far you'd want to travel?
I went to Westminster Kingsway College (not a resit-intensives) but they do them, resits, A levels, BTECs, vocational stuff and they have four different sites in central London
If you live far out and are on benefits etc they help with travel costs (or did before the Tories got in-not sure now!!) http://www.westking.ac.uk/
they were amazing!! I got A*AB after getting BCD at my crappy sixth form and am going into second year at Sussex

Relax, don't panic, think through your options carefully. You don't need to go to uni right this second. You could work like I did for two years. Best decision I ever made
Good luck x
Original post by marythestudent
I went to Westminster Kingsway College (not a resit-intensives) but they do them, resits, A levels, BTECs, vocational stuff and they have four different sites in central London
If you live far out and are on benefits etc they help with travel costs (or did before the Tories got in-not sure now!!) http://www.westking.ac.uk/
they were amazing!! I got A*AB after getting BCD at my crappy sixth form and am going into second year at Sussex

Relax, don't panic, think through your options carefully. You don't need to go to uni right this second. You could work like I did for two years. Best decision I ever made
Good luck x

Also the chef students cook the food at the Victoria site. IT IS AMAZING! Michelin star stuff and dead cheap as they are students
I looked at B6 as a final resort (lol) but they don't have the subjects I want to take ^^;

Honestly, I didn't enjoy it at all. Before continuing I should mention that some teachers are really great and they helped me out a lot (If you do end up going there, look out for Keeley, Tina, Moriom, and Anna!).

The college itself is very unorganized. You tend to find out things through word of mouth and not an actual announcement. Canteen food is horrid (well, it's great if you want to be unhealthy). Most teachers don't really care about you, but more so what grades you get, so they're not helpful when your distressed. Higher ups only care about the grades, so if there is any sign of you failing they'll try to push you out of the course, or worse the college. They take a lot more students than what they can manage, so it's overcrowded (which makes it even more unorganized). The students are really divided. White people from essex in one side, Black & Asian people on the other. If you end up getting bullied in a class, don't expect the teacher to help you.

Honestly, it's bearable, and i got through it because of the 4 teachers I mentioned + great friends. I wouldn't want to go back there though, which is why I'm trying to switch college. All of this being said, it's possible to do well at the college, one guy I know got into Cambridge with A*'s.

-Woah, I'm now having second thoughts. It sounds exactly like Bsix, but Bsix is definitely worse lol
But thanks for telling me this, did you think the teaching was good overall? I know you mentioned some names and they sound cool. I'm doing humanities subjects so I don't know if I have the chance them being my teachers.
Reply 14
-Woah, I'm now having second thoughts. It sounds exactly like Bsix, but Bsix is definitely worse lol
But thanks for telling me this, did you think the teaching was good overall? I know you mentioned some names and they sound cool. I'm doing humanities subjects so I don't know if I have the chance them being my teachers.

The teaching depends on the teacher to be honest. I know some subjects have amazing teachers, and other subjects have really unhelpful ones. What subjects are you planning to take?
The Humanities area has the best teachers by far (the teachers I mentioned, Moriom and Keeley are Sociology teachers). All of them are helpful and actually care about you lol, they support everyone and actually TEACH you haha. Avoid Business studies teachers, they don't help you with anything. I can't speak for the rest of the teachers, but from what I've heard from other students and my friends, a lot of teachers aren't great.

Thank you to all of your replies! You helped me out a lot! My mum has spoken to Leyton and they've given me a place at their college directly without application, just need to enrol next week! So happy about this!
If you have any questions please send them my way!
The teaching depends on the teacher to be honest. I know some subjects have amazing teachers, and other subjects have really unhelpful ones. What subjects are you planning to take?
The Humanities area has the best teachers by far (the teachers I mentioned, Moriom and Keeley are Sociology teachers). All of them are helpful and actually care about you lol, they support everyone and actually TEACH you haha. Avoid Business studies teachers, they don't help you with anything. I can't speak for the rest of the teachers, but from what I've heard from other students and my friends, a lot of teachers aren't great.

Thank you to all of your replies! You helped me out a lot! My mum has spoken to Leyton and they've given me a place at their college directly without application, just need to enrol next week! So happy about this!
If you have any questions please send them my way!

I see, thanks for explaining :smile: I was thinking English Literature, History, Philosophy (or Classical Civilisation ) and finally Product Design. Aw congrats, I have friends at Leyton, you'll like it.
Reply 16
I see, thanks for explaining :smile: I was thinking English Literature, History, Philosophy (or Classical Civilisation ) and finally Product Design. Aw congrats, I have friends at Leyton, you'll like it.

There english classes are pretty good, my sister loved Classics but the teachers didn't help much...I've heard from a lot of people that they don't teach Philosophy well, but the area of that department as a whole is good! Don't worry about it too much though~ I hope you enjoy where ever you choose to go to!And thanks!
Original post by Emmy_96

LooooooL caterham is **** m8😂 I'm long gone from their
I failed my as this year with d DDU and want to completely resit at Westminster kingsway are they strict on enrolment, because average colleges like Monoux, leyton and city and Islington are much stricter than I expected
Reply 19
Hi, David Game College is located in Tower Hill and offers retakes. Not very expensive and very good quality.

Quick Reply

Latest