The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Hi Fizzax,

I just got my alevel results and missed my offer by quite a lot :/ I am now looking to study at palacky but chemistry has never been my strong point, do you think I would struggle heavily in the first year??
Also, I only just started looking into this and have seen theres an entrance exam next saturday? Do you think a week of revising 10 hours a day + would get me up to the level? having had a look at the practice tests the maths is especially hard but so is the biology as it has topics that weren't covered in my AS/A2 course?

thank you xx

Heeya:smile:
I'll be honest with you, chemistry wasn't my strong subject either but I enjoyed learning about it, if you enjoy any subject then it'll be fun to study for, then you won't start falling asleep whilst reading, like I do must of the time 😉lool!. I was really nerves for the entrance exam as well, that's only a small part of MANY exams you'll have to face, soo just give it a go, just try again if nothing goes to plan but I'm sure it will be all fineeee :smile:. it's mostly multiple choice answers so you'll have 25% of getting them right if you pick logically!

I think you get 2 hours to do all the 3 papers, so organise your time, maths was he hardest for me so I did that first and moved to chem and then bio.

Chem: in Palacky we have a grading system, the pass mark/grades is from A-E. for chem if you get 20/36 it's an E (the score looks low, it's not easy to get btw). Sooo I don't think there's anything to worry about, you don't have to be achieving A/A* to attempt chemistry at Palacky, anyone can attempt it if they work haaard for it :smile: .

Yeahhh 10 hours a day, that's more then enoooughh, you'll still have that a level knowledge still fresh in your head soo I don't think it'll take you long to study for each test!
Not going to lie but maths was hard, just YOLO it 😂.
For biology, I'm sure you've covered 80% of the subjects in your skl, just google search topics if you haven't studied them before, wiki is always the best ;P.

You still have time, organise your time, good luck for it! Let me know how it goes!
Original post by fizzax
Heeya:smile:
I'll be honest with you, chemistry wasn't my strong subject either but I enjoyed learning about it, if you enjoy any subject then it'll be fun to study for, then you won't start falling asleep whilst reading, like I do must of the time 😉lool!. I was really nerves for the entrance exam as well, that's only a small part of MANY exams you'll have to face, soo just give it a go, just try again if nothing goes to plan but I'm sure it will be all fineeee :smile:. it's mostly multiple choice answers so you'll have 25% of getting them right if you pick logically!

I think you get 2 hours to do all the 3 papers, so organise your time, maths was he hardest for me so I did that first and moved to chem and then bio.

Chem: in Palacky we have a grading system, the pass mark/grades is from A-E. for chem if you get 20/36 it's an E (the score looks low, it's not easy to get btw). Sooo I don't think there's anything to worry about, you don't have to be achieving A/A* to attempt chemistry at Palacky, anyone can attempt it if they work haaard for it :smile: .

Yeahhh 10 hours a day, that's more then enoooughh, you'll still have that a level knowledge still fresh in your head soo I don't think it'll take you long to study for each test!
Not going to lie but maths was hard, just YOLO it 😂.
For biology, I'm sure you've covered 80% of the subjects in your skl, just google search topics if you haven't studied them before, wiki is always the best ;P.

You still have time, organise your time, good luck for it! Let me know how it goes!

Ah thank you! and I was just wondering if when you were preparing for the entrance exam you bought the online course thing? Is it worth it?? And honestly how difficult the exam/interview was??
Reply 42
Original post by Aniess
Thanks a million. So so very helpful. Just sent an email to the agent requesting for past papers.
I will let you know the outcome in due course. By the way i am a guy and struggle with domestics.

May I ask what agency are you using? How does that work. Does that cost you anything? I am searching for a good helpful agency

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita
Reply 43
Original post by IllmaticLUPE
I'm thinking of applying to medicine in Bulgaria not too sure which university yet. I have several questions:

How difficult is the first year in comparison to A Levels?
How do the exams work?
What is the quality of teaching like?
How many people get kicked out?
Do you need to learn the local language?

Bulgaria is also a good uni, which I've heard, loads of students go there as well:smile:. Palacky was my first and only choice so I came here, I knew people that went to Palacky so they told me it was great etc. it helps a lot if you know someone at that uni already.

From my personal view, I thought first year was soo much more stressful then A-levels. You'll have 8 finals all together in first year, there's loads to memories specially like for Anatomy they have now introduced neuro as well, so u complete the whole of anatomy and neuro anatomy in one year, which is do-able if you have the right materials to study from.
chem and biophysics which u do is written exam
And rests of the subjects are oral exam with the teacher, they grade you on your performance.
Histology and biochemistry are only credit exams, so you need to pass those to do the final exam in 2nd year.

I'm not really sure about kicking out marks for Palacky, but they do kick people out I've heard.

if you're going to any country to study medicine or dentistry, it's nice to know their language as well, you're going to be spending 5/6 years there. In any European uni you'll get lessons for languages as well. In Palacky medics, so czech lesson 2 times a week.
Hope that's helps, if you need any more help, just ask :smile:
Reply 44
Ah thank you! and I was just wondering if when you were preparing for the entrance exam you bought the online course thing? Is it worth it?? And honestly how difficult the exam/interview was??

It's okeeey :smile:. Lol there's an online course thing, I didn't know about that. There's this course thing for 1 week or 2, I know people who went there as well they said it was helpful, they give you more sample papers etc but it's really expensive. I didn't do either, I had my A-level knowledge I just went over my books and gave it a go :smile: just practise the maths question from the sample, they MIGHT be simpler to that paper.
Reply 45
Original post by nomita
May I ask what agency are you using? How does that work. Does that cost you anything? I am searching for a good helpful agency

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

Try Outreach Education,I applied through them and they were very kind and helpful - plus they're free.
:smile:
Reply 46
Guyss we have another medic in the house, Sammar96 - feel free to ask her any questions as well :smile: if you're from Ireland she's the best person to talk to about applications to Palacky!😚
Reply 47
Original post by nomita

Thanks
Best regards
Nomita

Hi Nomita,
Sorry for the delay. I am in touch with the student world formally known as Outreach education. Easy to get contact details from the internet. They are the offcial agents to Palacky University so their services are free.

All the best.
Reply 48
Original post by dalia12345
I'm in the middle of preparing for the exam aswell, the agency I applied through sent me practise papers to study from. I didn't have to pay anything either and they are really helpful! They treat me more like a friend than a student applying which I think is really nice!

Thanks very much for your reply, I was wondering if you could share those practise papers.

Many thanks
Best regards
Nomita
Reply 49
Original post by Sammar96
Try Outreach Education,I applied through them and they were very kind and helpful - plus they're free.
:smile:

Thanks very much
how long is the entrance exam? is it one hour per paper and how many questions are there on each subject? its my first time on student room so not really sure how it works sorry
Original post by AkshayKishor
how long is the entrance exam? is it one hour per paper and how many questions are there on each subject? its my first time on student room so not really sure how it works sorry

I think you have 2 hours to finish the bio chem and maths/physics :smile: someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you have 2 hours to finish the bio chem and maths/physics :smile: someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks! do you know how many questions in each section?
thanks! do you know how many questions in each section?

When I did the exam there was around 40ish questions for bio and chem each and 10 for maths:smile:
thanks kitty! :smile:
Reply 55
good luck for your exams guys

first years tough but if u keep focused and study hard, all should be fine
I still haven't been told if I got in or not 😞 does anyone who did the exam Saturday know if theygot in?
Reply 57
I still haven't been told if I got in or not 😞 does anyone who did the exam Saturday know if theygot in?

did you apply tyhrough an angency? if so, try to contact them
Applied through student room got a place Now 😊
Applied through student room got a place Now 😊

Congrats!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest