The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by StevenJH
I'm an apprentice in another area of BT so I might be able to help you with some of these :smile:

For engineering apprentices, I think you'll have to go to Yarnfield Park which is like BT's training base for a 2 week period initially to have all the health and safety and other training that you'll need for the job, and after that you shadow a more experienced engineer for a period of time before going out on the job on your own.

Pay wise, I believe BT changed it last year so all apprentices start on £13,770 for the first year but after that you get a pay rise every year which will vary depending on your pay grade.

Hope this helped!

Ah right sounds interesting, do you stay there or have to drive, do you enjoy your apprenticeship? What year you in? How old are you? What is your apprenticeship in? So many questions ino!
I'm an apprentice in another area of BT so I might be able to help you with some of these :smile:

For engineering apprentices, I think you'll have to go to Yarnfield Park which is like BT's training base for a 2 week period initially to have all the health and safety and other training that you'll need for the job, and after that you shadow a more experienced engineer for a period of time before going out on the job on your own.

Pay wise, I believe BT changed it last year so all apprentices start on £13,770 for the first year but after that you get a pay rise every year which will vary depending on your pay grade.

Hope this helped!

Oh that's brill!! Was your contract given to you on time hahaha:smile:
Original post by Hughes12
Oh that's brill!! Was your contract given to you on time hahaha:smile:

Yeah haha, I wouldn't worry too much about it mate. The Apprentice team will be very busy sorting stuff like that out but if it gets closer to your start date and you haven't heard from them give them a shout!
Original post by louchad
Ah right sounds interesting, do you stay there or have to drive, do you enjoy your apprenticeship? What year you in? How old are you? What is your apprenticeship in? So many questions ino!

You have to stay there, it's not too bad. 3 meals a day and they also have a bar :wink:

Me personally, I only joined in November so 1st year but I've enjoyed it. It's a really good company to work for with plenty of opportunities and things like that if your going to be doing something your interested in and want to do. For me, that hasn't really been the case because the job I've been doing is more IT based which wasn't for me (working as part of BT Global Services who are responsible for managing IT networks for major customers).

On the whole though it's a good place to be, especially with how the company's shaping up for the future. Feel free to ask anything else :smile:
Original post by Hughes12
Cheers pal, will do! What's the hours like do you know?

It's sort of difficult to explain for an engineer haha. To put it simply you have to be on site at a job for 8am and you finish at 15:52 but they do this thing called flexi-time where you can work over that and then take the hours back another day to a limit. They might have changed that so I'm not too sure but it'll be in your contract when you get it.
It's sort of difficult to explain for an engineer haha. To put it simply you have to be on site at a job for 8am and you finish at 15:52 but they do this thing called flexi-time where you can work over that and then take the hours back another day to a limit. They might have changed that so I'm not too sure but it'll be in your contract when you get it.

Seems decent, thank you:-)
Reply 126
Hey there,

I attended the HUB day 3 weeks ago on Tuesday for an openreach engineering role, and still haven't heard back. Just wondering if you know if I'll get feedback as was looking very forward to this apprenticeship and prepared a lot for the HUB day. Shall I try and chase them up? All I have for contact is the office reception line 😕
Yes chase them up as BT is such a big company they can forget or be quite slow to get in touch with people, even if it is a positive result!
Reply 128
Seems like I can't get past the reception.

The receptionist just said that they have to get back to you either way, but couldn't talk to anyone else.

Hit a brick wall for now, will just have to wait and see I guess.
Original post by Nicksow
Seems like I can't get past the reception.

The receptionist just said that they have to get back to you either way, but couldn't talk to anyone else.

Hit a brick wall for now, will just have to wait and see I guess.

What's the number?
Reply 130
01923 666000 - it's the Watford office
Reply 131
No you can't haha, it's literally just the reception for the watford office where I had my HUB day😄
I done my hub day a few months ago and they got back to me within a week, they will email you just be patient.
if you don't get in ask for feedback this can take a few weeks to hear back from though, its good to get the feedback but can also p*ss you off, like mine did.
Hi just had email for the week induction in yarn field and it says you may be placed away from home for 1st 10 weeks ? Anybody help me out? Wether this happens as I thought I was based in Liverpool ?
Original post by Adamhjones
Hi just had email for the week induction in yarn field and it says you may be placed away from home for 1st 10 weeks ? Anybody help me out? Wether this happens as I thought I was based in Liverpool ?

What's your start date??:-)
14th September you?
Ahh no way! 😂
Reply 137
I got my assessment hub moved to september 11th as " there are not enough people attending the day" at my previous day it was assigned to.

Iv applied to i.t. networking.

Any one remember wh questions they will ask ?

What the group assessment includes ?

Kind regards
You not had contract yet?
Reply 139
Original post by Adamhjones
You not had contract yet?

Still waiting on mine too, assessment day 4th of August, 6th of August a phone call saying I had got it, still no contract but they emailed me to ask for work uniform sizes haha 😂 (Open reach oct 19th start)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending