The Student Room Group

Maths for A Levels?

Hey!
So I've chosen to take Maths for A Levels as I know it's a valued subject and I enjoy it. However, I am only strong in certain areas of maths such as Algebra and I had to work really hard for my Maths GCSE...
I'm aware that Maths A level will be much harder work than GCSE was, so any tips on how to prepare for the workload and how to ensure that I am prepared for the exams in the future?
Thanks in advance :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I recommend self studying a module to get into that 'zone' of figuring out topics and questions without being spoon fed by a teacher/helper. After you finish a module attempt to do 2 papers per module per week. (I got double A* in maths and further maths so it worked for me).
Reply 2
Original post by Tiri
I recommend self studying a module to get into that 'zone' of figuring out topics and questions without being spoon fed by a teacher/helper. After you finish a module attempt to do 2 papers per module per week. (I got double A* in maths and further maths so it worked for me).

Ah okay, thanks for the tip! Did you take a lot of notes for Maths or just working on questions and doing practice papers?
Reply 3
With maths, you need to revise constantly otherwise you'll lose your maths skills.
After lesson, it's best to go over the stuff you learnt and prepare for your next lesson in your free periods.

You cannot just study maths a week before the exams (which is what I did and I failed horribly).

You have to revise it constantly! ^^
Reply 4
Original post by katycheung
Ah okay, thanks for the tip! Did you take a lot of notes for Maths or just working on questions and doing practice papers?

Beauty about maths unlike other subjects.. Its all about the questions.. Push yourself.. Test your limits.. and believe it or not don't be afraid to struggle, you will stretch your mind more by not shying away from the difficult questions (albeit build up slowly for that!)... Once you get going I recommend going on this site for individual topics http://www.madasmaths.com , TONS of material with solutions, I personally used this in the build up to exams just to get that full coverage.
Hey!
So I've chosen to take Maths for A Levels as I know it's a valued subject and I enjoy it. However, I am only strong in certain areas of maths such as Algebra and I had to work really hard for my Maths GCSE...
I'm aware that Maths A level will be much harder work than GCSE was, so any tips on how to prepare for the workload and how to ensure that I am prepared for the exams in the future?

Basically it's made up of 3 units; Core 1, Core 2 and a choice of either Decision, Mechanics or Statistics.

Core 1 will be easy - they say it's really easy for people who've done further maths and that people who haven't done it will struggle, but it's bs! I didn't do further maths at gcse and I coped fine :smile:
You may have to work slightly harder than others but hey, it'll be worth it in the end.
There's quite a bit of algebra so you're in luck, you'll also be doing a lot of calculus so I recommend going on Khan Academy to see what it's all about, it may seem daunting but it's really not that bad.
Core 2 is like Core 1 but you build up on it.
As for the 3rd unit I can only really talk about Decision. Decision maths is all about algorithms and finding shortcuts in paths. You'll be taught about a few different algorithms which you have to know off by heart and there's a few different definitions you'll need to know too, but nothing too complicated.

Mechanics you'll find easy if you're taking Physics but I have no idea about Statistics haha :smile:

All I can say is when you learn something in class, practice it! Get your hands on as many past papers as you can and do them over and over again. Come exam time, you'll probably be able to do the questions in your sleep.
Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Tiri
Beauty about maths unlike other subjects.. Its all about the questions.. Push yourself.. Test your limits.. and believe it or not don't be afraid to struggle, you will stretch your mind more by not shying away from the difficult questions (albeit build up slowly for that!)... Once you get going I recommend going on this site for individual topics http://www.madasmaths.com , TONS of material with solutions, I personally used this in the build up to exams just to get that full coverage.

Okay! I'll take note. Thank you very much :smile:
Do a lot of practice questions of the topic you are doing and always ask the teacher for help if you're struggling. Exam papers are the best way to revise. When you come across the Optimisation topic, all the exam questions on this topic are the same so with practice you will see a pattern and the questions will become easier.

I'm on A2 this year so if you have any more questions, just PM me.
Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by Ninjasrule
Basically it's made up of 3 units; Core 1, Core 2 and a choice of either Decision, Mechanics or Statistics.

Core 1 will be easy - they say it's really easy for people who've done further maths and that people who haven't done it will struggle, but it's bs! I didn't do further maths at gcse and I coped fine :smile:
You may have to work slightly harder than others but hey, it'll be worth it in the end.
There's quite a bit of algebra so you're in luck, you'll also be doing a lot of calculus so I recommend going on Khan Academy to see what it's all about, it may seem daunting but it's really not that bad.
Core 2 is like Core 1 but you build up on it.
As for the 3rd unit I can only really talk about Decision. Decision maths is all about algorithms and finding shortcuts in paths. You'll be taught about a few different algorithms which you have to know off by heart and there's a few different definitions you'll need to know too, but nothing too complicated.

Mechanics you'll find easy if you're taking Physics but I have no idea about Statistics haha :smile:

All I can say is when you learn something in class, practice it! Get your hands on as many past papers as you can and do them over and over again. Come exam time, you'll probably be able to do the questions in your sleep.
Good luck!

Thank you for all that information! I'll be sure to keep that all in mind :smile:
I had to work hard at Physics too so maybe i won't be so good at Mechanics... but I'll keep an open mind. :h:
Thank you for all that information! I'll be sure to keep that all in mind :smile:
I had to work hard at Physics too so maybe i won't be so good at Mechanics... but I'll keep an open mind. :h:

No problem :smile:
If I ever got stuck on anything, Khan Academy and YouTube were my go-to sites.
Ah, Physics at A-level is completely different to GCSE, it's mostly maths based :h: but yeah, it's quite difficult ahaha, I failed it at AS-Level, then ended up resitting the year and not taking up Physics again... I do miss it however.
Hey!

It's all about being proactive and making sure you understand what you're covering, and then practice, practice, practice. As others have mentioned, there are lots of great YouTube channels you can turn to if your teachers aren't doing the trick for you but for practice, it really just comes down to self discipline and perseverance.
Reply 11
No problem :smile:
If I ever got stuck on anything, Khan Academy and YouTube were my go-to sites.
Ah, Physics at A-level is completely different to GCSE, it's mostly maths based :h: but yeah, it's quite difficult ahaha, I failed it at AS-Level, then ended up resitting the year and not taking up Physics again... I do miss it however.

:h: I won't be taking physics as it was my weakest Science...although, admittedly I found both the additional Science and Further Additional Science Physics exam quite fair. Even more so than the Further Additional Science Chemistry :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by Plagioclase
It's all about being proactive and making sure you understand what you're covering, and then practice, practice, practice. As others have mentioned, there are lots of great YouTube channels you can turn to if your teachers aren't doing the trick for you but for practice, it really just comes down to self discipline and perseverance.

Okay :h: I'll do my best, thanks for the reply!
Hey!

Just stay on top of the work, and keep practising it as you go along...

There's nothing worse than getting to the end of the year and realising you've forgotten how to do the stuff you learned at the beginning :wink:
do every past paper twice and ur golden
:h: I won't be taking physics as it was my weakest Science...although, admittedly I found both the additional Science and Further Additional Science Physics exam quite fair. Even more so than the Further Additional Science Chemistry :s-smilie:

Ah fair enough :P yeah don't do anything you're not passionate in, I think that's the key to success with A-levels.
If you don't have a passion you won't be motivated and ideally you should be working 1 hour for every hour you do in school so you need all the motivation you can get :^_^:
Reply 16
Original post by Alexion
Just stay on top of the work, and keep practising it as you go along...

There's nothing worse than getting to the end of the year and realising you've forgotten how to do the stuff you learned at the beginning :wink:

Thanks for the tip! :h:
Ah yeah! It's similar to GCSEs in that sense as I was always worried about forgetting what I'd already learnt!
Reply 17
Original post by faux pas
do every past paper twice and ur golden

Aha, okay! :h:
Reply 18
Ah fair enough :P yeah don't do anything you're not passionate in, I think that's the key to success with A-levels.
If you don't have a passion you won't be motivated and ideally you should be working 1 hour for every hour you do in school so you need all the motivation you can get :^_^:

Definitely! I chose A Levels that I would enjoy as well as keeping my future options open at the same time :h:
Hey!

Hello Katy! I am in gcse too, I'm taking maths, further maths, physics and ict for alevel. Over the summer have completed c1 (first half of a level) with no help from teacher just hegarty maths and it's been easy there's not much to worry about as maths is supposed to be the hardest subject just make sure to always get your homwork done. As I have read make sure to start revising from day 1 as it will help later down the line. :smile: hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest