The Student Room Group

How hard is Chemistry OCR B Salters and Biology Edexcel SNAB?

I want to go to City and Islington Sixth Form however their exam boards for Biology and Chemistry really puts me off from going there. This is mainly because I heard that OCR B and Edexcel are the toughest exam boards, is this true?
I don't know about the biology but for the chemistry I can tell you that the AS year is quite easy (obviously I have nothing to compare it to but the exams follow a pattern and the content is fairly easy) but the A2 coursework will make you want to rip your teachers head off and suck their guts out like a big frube.
Reply 2
Original post by Planet55
I want to go to City and Islington Sixth Form however their exam boards for Biology and Chemistry really puts me off from going there. This is mainly because I heard that OCR B and Edexcel are the toughest exam boards, is this true?

I took OCR Salters B Chem AS, I have heard it was tougher than other boards, but I don't exactly have another experience to compare it with.
I can tell you though that although it's hard, it's definitely achievable. Nothing impossible :smile: I can answer questions about it if you have any
Reply 3
Does OCR B contain more logical questions and calculations?
Reply 4
Does OCR B contain more logical questions and calculations?

Well I don't know what is "more", but knowing maths is useful for this course. In each exam, there are certain to be calculation questions. In the ISA-like unit there is also a mini calculations paper. But that is nothing to be worried about.
It's not advanced maths, you just need to understand the context ^^

And what do you mean by "logical questions"?
I found Chemistry OCR Salters B very hard and I got 2 marks off an A* in chemistry GCSE. I'd go along with the suggestion Salters B is the hardest exam board for chem. The mark schemes are incredibly strict, with more in the "do not allow" column than the "allow" column.
Reply 6
Original post by Azarashi
Well I don't know what is "more", but knowing maths is useful for this course. In each exam, there are certain to be calculation questions. In the ISA-like unit there is also a mini calculations paper. But that is nothing to be worried about.
It's not advanced maths, you just need to understand the context ^^

And what do you mean by "logical questions"?

As in a lot of the questions you can't study for and it's not in the text book, you just have to use your common sense and general knowledge
Reply 7
As in a lot of the questions you can't study for and it's not in the text book, you just have to use your common sense and general knowledge

Ah like application questions.
Honestly I don't think there were many at all.
Biology AQA this year was so packed with them that I heard so many complaints...
Edexcel SNAB is horrendous
Reply 9
Ah ok Thanks :smile: So if I memorize the textbook and do lots of past papers would I do fine in Chem OCR B?
Reply 10
Original post by Loola1234
Edexcel SNAB is horrendous

Really, is it that bad? What type of questions do they ask you, is the mark scheme really strict and are there limited revision material?
Really, is it that bad? What type of questions do they ask you, is the mark scheme really strict and are there limited revision material?

There is lots of revision material but the mark scheme is horrendously strict
Ah ok Thanks :smile: So if I memorize the textbook and do lots of past papers would I do fine in Chem OCR B?

I personally think that the textbook doesn't relate much to the exams. I tended to understand the topics eventually, but struggled with the exam papers. I was getting Bs in past papers but then this year's exams were structured and worded differently and awkwardly which was a surprise as when revising I could see a pattern in all the past papers and worked off that. The text books aren't great so make sure you get revision guides and watch clips on YouTube. I think you'll be okay as long as you go in knowing it will be quite challenging and accept you must put the hours in :smile:
I did edexcel SNAB and I thought it was okay. I don't think the markschemes are too strict. On most questions there are more marking points than marks, so on a 4 mark question you may only need to make 4 points out of a possible 8 to get all the marks.
I got an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest