The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
This is perfect.

I know that I said I'd have been happy with Pedro (and Milner for that matter) at the start of the window, but that was more because I don't feel our wing options are good enough compared to the rest of the top 4, it has nothing to do with Giroud and posters trying to make it so is just stupid tbf.

All this moaning about Giroud is getting pathetic tbf, the guy is a solid player who will score 15/20 goals in the league this season. He isn't a star striker no, and we haven't managed to sign that star striker, but you don't sign a £50mil striker after 1 day of negotiations do you?
Problem is that mugs like Stefano eat up the bull**** the metro and twitter itk's spurt about us being in for players. This last 3 days I've seen countless articles linking us with Benzema, Cavani, Muller, Lewandowski, ANY ****ING TOP STRIKER UNDER THE SUN IS LINKED WITH US. Same with CDM in July; Vidal, Sneiderlin, Bender bros, Carvalho to name a few, EVEN ****ING BUSQUETS WAS LINKED WITH US.

People may know that Metro is bs and all their clickbait articles made up, but once you hear a story enough times from enough media outlets (all of whom are quoting each other) people genuinely start to believe it's happening.

We MAY be in for a striker, if there is a weakness in our side Wenger will try to fix it, but realistically the type of striker we need isn't in high supply, and as I've already said every option is on a big wage on a long contract at a bigger club.

Giroud isn't good enough, deal with it. It's not that deep.
Original post by leinad2012
This is perfect.

I know that I said I'd have been happy with Pedro (and Milner for that matter) at the start of the window, but that was more because I don't feel our wing options are good enough compared to the rest of the top 4, it has nothing to do with Giroud and posters trying to make it so is just stupid tbf.

All this moaning about Giroud is getting pathetic tbf, the guy is a solid player who will score 15/20 goals in the league this season. He isn't a star striker no, and we haven't managed to sign that star striker, but you don't sign a £50mil striker after 1 day of negotiations do you?
Problem is that mugs like Stefano eat up the bull**** the metro and twitter itk's spurt about us being in for players. This last 3 days I've seen countless articles linking us with Benzema, Cavani, Muller, Lewandowski, ANY ****ING TOP STRIKER UNDER THE SUN IS LINKED WITH US. Same with CDM in July; Vidal, Sneiderlin, Bender bros, Carvalho to name a few, EVEN ****ING BUSQUETS WAS LINKED WITH US.

People may know that Metro is bs and all their clickbait articles made up, but once you hear a story enough times from enough media outlets (all of whom are quoting each other) people genuinely start to believe it's happening.

We MAY be in for a striker, if there is a weakness in our side Wenger will try to fix it, but realistically the type of striker we need isn't in high supply, and as I've already said every option is on a big wage on a long contract at a bigger club.

Giroud has had more than enough time to prove his worth and unfortunately he hasn't done so.

That game against Monaco will live long in the memory. It simply was unacceptable the number of good chances he missed.

He's a decent player but lead us to the title he can't do.

And then who comes after? Walcott? Welbeck? Again decent but not gonna win is the PL or CL or bring us that close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Stefano93
Giroud isn't good enough, deal with it. It's not that deep.

It's not that, it's the fact that you seem to think this is FIFA where Arsene can just offer Real £50mil and Benzema will sign. Transfers are complicated things that can go wrong and begging for signings and then having a hissy fit when a player signs for a different club or a deal falls through is just ridiculous. It's not that deep....

If Arsene signed every player you wanted we'd have 5 CDM's and 4 £60mil ST's, as I posted a few months ago
Original post by qwerty_mad
Giroud has had more than enough time to prove his worth and unfortunately he hasn't done so.

That game against Monaco will live long in the memory. It simply was unacceptable the number of good chances he missed.

He's a decent player but lead us to the title he can't do.

And then who comes after? Walcott? Welbeck? Again decent but not gonna win is the PL or CL or bring us that close.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, Giroud is a solid rotation striker but nothing more, BUT this whole "who can't win the league with Giroud up front "bs is ridiculous. Of course you can, all you need is CM's who add 15 goals a season, wingers who each add 20 goals a season and a tight defence who lets in less than 20 goals in the league all season and keeps 20 clean sheets. The fact is we have midfielders who will score goals, one winger who will score 30 goals a season but our other wingers, CAM and defence aren't helping us out. Is isn't only Giroud's fault
How hard is it for Wenger to just buy Lacazette. He passed on Aubameyang and I bet he regrets it.
Lacazette, no thanks ridiculously overhyped player, no improvement on what we have as anyone who has looked in depth at his stats would know
**** sake just because he's over hyped it doesn't mean he isn't good

We have one able striker, Theo and Sanchez and Welbeck do not count as proficient strikers. One injury to Giroud and were back in the dirt. Plus lacazete has ages to get into his prime where as Giroud will only decline
Sorry for not wanting a player who couldn't score against the top 7 in the french league and when you take penalties out of the equation was a 1 in 2 striker in a poor league and made no impact in the Europa league. Yes, he's a GOOD player, not a GREAT player, Everton level at best imo.

In 2 years it'd be "why did Wenger sign another French player who wasn't good enough when we had Walcott, Welbeck and then Campbell and Wellington Silva out on loan"

Edit: oh and for the record, even if we wanted to sign he it would be tough, Lyon are in the CL, he is happy being the main man there and isn't going to want to swap that for being on the bench against one of his national teams rivals (a.k.a Giroud) having to adjust to a new role, new manager, new team and new league 12 months before his home Euro's after just starting to break into the national squad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Lmao TFW "why did we sign Lacazette we had Welbeck"

Fuark me stop arguing for the sake of arguing
Original post by AR_95
**** sake just because he's over hyped it doesn't mean he isn't good

We have one able striker, Theo and Sanchez and Welbeck do not count as proficient strikers. One injury to Giroud and were back in the dirt. Plus lacazete has ages to get into his prime where as Giroud will only decline

I hope Wenger feels like Leinad. Would make Chelsea's job this season much easier.
Original post by jam277
I hope Wenger feels like Leinad. Would make Chelsea's job this season much easier.

I think he does. It's all right though we've got Wellington Silva up and coming. :colonhash:
Original post by AR_95
I think he does. It's all right though we've got Wellington Silva up and coming. :colonhash:

Why don't he give up and sign permanently at a Spanish club, it's obvious he'll never get a work permit
He has his work permit now. Hence he's going on loan to Bolton this year.
Only just found out Emiliano Martinez is on loan at Wolves. Fair enough.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Only just found out Emiliano Martinez is on loan at Wolves. Fair enough.

Only just? There was a classic game vs Hull a few days ago where Emi, Afobe, Hayden and Akpom all played.
So... Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck or Rooney/Hernandez/Wilson?
lol Welbz would be Utd's best striker right now.
Hey guys. I'm new on here but I'm a huge Arsenal fan. Have been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons.

Anyway, what do you guys think we need to mount a SERIOUS title challenge.

I rate Giroud highly but I don't think he's quite got it in him to fire us to the title. We need depth in that position too. I rate Welbeck but mainly as a wide man due to his work rate and excellent ability to carry the ball with his mixture of speed and strength.

I also think we need another holding midfielder. One, we lack depth in that position. Flamini is far below Arsenal standard imo, and I believe Arteta's main use is as a dressing room voice of reason and experience. And two, as we saw against Palace, I think Coquelin's discipline and passing is sometimes suspect. He's great at the basic but technically I think he sometimes tries things that perhaps he can't execute.

What do you guys think?
Original post by ademjh
Hey guys. I'm new on here but I'm a huge Arsenal fan. Have been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons.

Anyway, what do you guys think we need to mount a SERIOUS title challenge.

I rate Giroud highly but I don't think he's quite got it in him to fire us to the title. We need depth in that position too. I rate Welbeck but mainly as a wide man due to his work rate and excellent ability to carry the ball with his mixture of speed and strength.

I also think we need another holding midfielder. One, we lack depth in that position. Flamini is far below Arsenal standard imo, and I believe Arteta's main use is as a dressing room voice of reason and experience. And two, as we saw against Palace, I think Coquelin's discipline and passing is sometimes suspect. He's great at the basic but technically I think he sometimes tries things that perhaps he can't execute.

What do you guys think?

That's all well and good, but do you wear replica shirts at games?

Joking, welcome aboard. Just a heads up, the most active poster on here is a Chelsea fan. If you like AFTV then you won't like this thread much. EiE.
Original post by AR_95
Lmao TFW "why did we sign Lacazette we had Welbeck"

Fuark me stop arguing for the sake of arguing

It's Arsenal fans we're talking about mate, it wouldn't surprise me.

Would you genuinely want Lacazette? I mean, what gap does he fill in the team, is he a £25mil improvement on Walcott? Anyway, as I've already said (and as you completely disregarded) he wouldn't be easy to sign anyway.

Latest