The Student Room Group

MA in broadcast journalism or investigative journalism ??

I'll be applying soon for masters in the UK and I have a few questions regarding the different kind of masters in journalism. I'd like to move to the UK permanently so I checked that the courses were all NCTJ accredited,but other than that, I don't have a clue what master I should apply to ! I have done a 2 months internship in a local newspaper( in france) and I loved writing about social issues etc, but I don't have any experience of journalism in the UK since I'm not there yet lol( would it be a problem when applying for a master ? since some unis ask for journalism experience, but my published articles are in french so I can't send them anything).I'd like to do different things, such as working on tv documentaries about society etc.. but also writing articles online/newspapers. I'd like to do "investigative" journalism, not just presenting facts like a tv anchor would do.But I have a hard time choosing a master because I've found an " investigative journalism" master at the university of strathclyde, but in their programm they don't mention anything about teaching broadcasting skills , and other than that I have found masters specialized in broadcast journalism but from what I've read it sounds like they're teaching the basics of journalism but they don't go really deep, it looks like they're more focused on the "broadcast" part. Sorry my post is a little confusing haha but I just don't want to make a mistake when choosing the right course for me.
The only investigative journalism course I'd want to get on (and like you I want to be an investigative journalist in broadcast :biggrin:) is the one at City, which while very competitive, is also very good with international students.

I just applied for an undergraduate degree after getting an NCTJ in Newspaper Journalism, which I've now decided is completely outmoded, and want to do broadcast instead. I'm thinking that I'll get my broadcast experience and training doing my Journalism BA at Westminster, then try for the MA in Investigative Journalism at City (I refused a place there because they would only let me in in the first year and I can't afford it... long story) if I don't think job prospects are good for me.

The City MA looks incredible, and has really strong links to Al Jazeera, the BBC and The Bureau of Investigative Journalism. But for Broadcast MAs (which look easier and a bit more fun) I'd look at BJTCs as well as NCTJs. Their website is terrible but there are a load of BJTC accredited courses around.

I assumed your English is fluent because of your first post and didn't want to patronize you, but tell me if you'd like any phrase saying clearer.
Reply 2
Hi thanks for your answer :smile:. The problem is that i can't apply for a university in London, ive looked at the prices of accommodation and costs of living in general and i just cant afford it, and for having lived in Paris, I can say that I dont like the huge cities its definitely not for me. and I didnt understand what was the différence between njtc and bjtc ? On some MA im going to apply they have njtc and bjtc accreditation, is it good?
Original post by kiwi94
Hi thanks for your answer :smile:. The problem is that i can't apply for a university in London, ive looked at the prices of accommodation and costs of living in general and i just cant afford it, and for having lived in Paris, I can say that I dont like the huge cities its definitely not for me. and I didnt understand what was the différence between njtc and bjtc ? On some MA im going to apply they have njtc and bjtc accreditation, is it good?

Hi!

We offer a PgDip in Broadcast Journalism or an MA in International Broadcast Journalism which is well suited for International students. We like to think we have all the benefits of London such as great industry links and accessibility here in Birmingham but at a much lower cost :wink: but isn't as big and busy as London and you're never far from the suburbs and country if you do want to get out of the city!

If it's somewhere you might be interested in and you have any questions about the city or what it's like to study here, ask away!

Hope this helps :smile:

Lydia (BCU Team)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending