The Student Room Group

Should I choose university or a gap year? (help needed!)

Hi all,

I have a dilemma in which I am unsure whether to go to university this year or not. I currently have a place for BSc Geology and Physical Geography at Keele University which I haven't confirmed yet, and have been offered accommodation, which again, I haven't confirmed. The issue is that I didn't particularly like the course in the first place, plus I didn't get my first choice of accommodation (accommodation is important to me), and so I don't think that it would be all that beneficial to go to uni this year (basically I don't want to just go for the sake of it), hence I am considering a gap year.

Another factor complicating my decision is the fact that I am suffering with what I believe to be mild depression, which is making it even more difficult for me to decide (I am seeing a doctor about it though). If I did take a gap year, I would learn to drive, maybe do an online proofreading course and perhaps spend time learning Italian at college. I might also try some volunteering work, but I'm not sure about that, and travelling isn't really an option as it's too expensive.

I really need to make a decision soon, as the deadline for accepting my accommodation offer is tomorrow. I feel like I won't be happy with my decision either way (due to the depression), so does anyone have any advice?

TL;DR I can't decide whether to take a gap year or not, and I need to decide by tomorrow. Any advice?

Original post by Leviathan1741
Hi all,

I have a dilemma in which I am unsure whether to go to university this year or not. I currently have a place for BSc Geology and Physical Geography at Keele University which I haven't confirmed yet, and have been offered accommodation, which again, I haven't confirmed. The issue is that I didn't particularly like the course in the first place, plus I didn't get my first choice of accommodation (accommodation is important to me), and so I don't think that it would be all that beneficial to go to uni this year (basically I don't want to just go for the sake of it), hence I am considering a gap year.

Another factor complicating my decision is the fact that I am suffering with what I believe to be mild depression, which is making it even more difficult for me to decide (I am seeing a doctor about it though). If I did take a gap year, I would learn to drive, maybe do an online proofreading course and perhaps spend time learning Italian at college. I might also try some volunteering work, but I'm not sure about that, and travelling isn't really an option as it's too expensive.

I really need to make a decision soon, as the deadline for accepting my accommodation offer is tomorrow. I feel like I won't be happy with my decision either way (due to the depression), so does anyone have any advice?

TL;DR I can't decide whether to take a gap year or not, and I need to decide by tomorrow. Any advice?

If you personally don't feel like you should do the course then you shouldn't. I know that sounds tautological but my point is that with a degree programme, it's not exactly something that you can 'try out'. It will be easier - financially and logistically - at this point to change your choice now (of your course, and of your university) rather than having begun your course already. So, if your main concern is about your course then definitely reconsider your options.

If however, you're more concerned about smaller issues like accommodation (and trust me, though accommodation seems like everything to you now, it is not a major issue at all; in the future you'll be thankful you even got any university campus accommodation at all) then I don't think it's wise to exit your course on these types of bases.
Reply 2
Hi all,

What did you end up deciding?
Reply 3
I left for my gap year on Sunday. I came home on Monday. Now I'm going to uni this year instead (although everything's a bit up in the air cuz I applied for accommodation and everything too late). Basically, I knew in my gut that I didn't really wanna do my gap year, and I was super jealous of all my friends going to uni this year. So I'd say go with your heart rather than your head on this one, only you know what's right for you.
Original post by Katie97
What did you end up deciding?

I decided to take a gap year :smile:
Reply 5
Hey!, I'm in a similar position as you so i have a few questions:

will you be resitting exams in your gap year?
what finally made you want to take a gap year?

Thanks

I decided to take a gap year :smile:
Original post by SA197
Hey!, I'm in a similar position as you so i have a few questions:

will you be resitting exams in your gap year?
what finally made you want to take a gap year?

Thanks

Nope, I won't be resitting any exams, I did well in my A Levels so I don't really want to put myself through any more unnecessary stress.

I decided to take a gap year using the (potentially-flawed-but-good-enough-for-me) logic that "if I really wanted to go to uni this year then I would've confirmed my place by now". I've come up with some personal goals to achieve during my gap year which will make going to uni easier later on, e.g. overcoming my agoraphobia :smile:

Quick Reply